Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Deepcut: something stinks

So yet again a review into events at Deepcut army barracks fails to both answer any questions about the extremely dodgy deaths of 4 recruits, and to recommend a full public enquiry into it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4856148.stm

Someone is having a laugh here:
Sean Benton

Sean Benton, 20, from Hastings in East Sussex, was found dead with five gunshot wounds in June 1995, while on guard at a perimeter fence.

In 2003 independent ballistics expert Frank Swann, who investigated the deaths initially for the police and later the families, said it was impossible for Mr Benton to have killed himself.

He suggested he had been shot four times from a distance and only once from close range.

Cheryl James

Private Cheryl James, 17, of Llangollen, north Wales, was found dead with a bullet through her forehead in woodland outside the barracks in November 1995.

Ballistics expert Frank Swann said it was "highly unlikely" Miss James shot herself.

He believes she was probably trying to push the gun barrel away from her face when she was shot, accidentally or deliberately.

The family also said it suspected a cover-up, after the bullet, removed during a post-mortem and which would have been a vital piece of evidence, went missing.

Geoff Gray

Private Geoff Gray, 17, from Seaham, County Durham, was found dead with two gunshot wounds to his head while on guard duty in September 2001.

Various aspects of his death have proved mysterious, including reports that a figure was seen running away from the area, and suggestions that his body was moved shortly after his death.

Ballistics expert Frank Swann said it was "highly unlikely" Mr Gray killed himself.

James Collinson

In March 2002 James Collinson, 17, from Perth, was found with a single gunshot wound through his chin while on guard duty.

Ballistics expert Frank Swann said it was "unlikely" bullet wounds to the underside of Mr Collinson's chin and head were self-inflicted, but it was possible they were the result of an accident.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4058379.stm

I mean ffs... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do they ever uncover anything when they investigate the army barracks ever?
  • Options
    It's in the 'national interest' that they don't, you know...

Heaven forbid we have young men and women in this country thinking there might be horrific bullying and abuses in the Armed Forces they were thinking of joining
  • Options
    They all shot themselves in the back of the head with rifles, case closed, move along, nothing to see here...
  • Options
    The one who managed to shoot himself five times from a distance must have been fast though ;)
  • Options
    Is there much bullying (not just in the army) at Deepcut? Someone who I know is to be going there soon, and I hate to say it but he is not mentally strong enough to go into the army, and if Deepcut is actually full of bullying like I have heard I doubt he will last long.
  • Options
    One would hope that they might be more sensitive to the bullying issue these days ...
  • Options
    Is there much bullying (not just in the army) at Deepcut? Someone who I know is to be going there soon, and I hate to say it but he is not mentally strong enough to go into the army, and if Deepcut is actually full of bullying like I have heard I doubt he will last long.
    There is always a degree of bullying in the armed forces but by all accounts it sounded particularly bad at Deepcut. However I'm pretty sure things have changed considerably in light of events, and chances are your friend would be safer at Deepcut than at other barracks. I'd imagine officers have been told in no uncertain terms that no other incidents must arise there.
  • Options
    I saw reports in the weekend newspapers about the Ministry of Defence holding these meetings to help people named in the reports. I have no idea how accurate they are, but I'm told that those who are named today will be told to keep a low profile, to avoid answering any questions. It does seem like there's something being covered up here.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There is always a degree of bullying in the armed forces but by all accounts it sounded particularly bad at Deepcut. However I'm pretty sure things have changed considerably in light of events, and chances are your friend would be safer at Deepcut than at other barracks. I'd imagine officers have been told in no uncertain terms that no other incidents must arise there.

The best I think anybody can realistically hope for is that things have improved and similar incidents are not repeated. I’d guess you’re right in that internally the army has probably to an extent sorted itself out, I hope that is the case. Given that the MoD obviously doesn’t want the public to know what happened at Deepcut there won’t be a public enquiry and the government is hardly going to do anything against the MoD’s wishes. Unfortunately I don’t think the families will ever know the truth.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It does seem like there's something being covered up here.
    if we had an understatement of the week post ...i'd vote for this one.
  • Options
    if we had an understatement of the week post ...i'd vote for this one.
    An unusual compliment, if ever I saw one, but thank you anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    The one who managed to shoot himself five times from a distance must have been fast though ;)

Aye, its what they train for.

Yeah, for fucks sake. The Army... come here, bully the newbies and get away with it, even if you kill them!

After all... nothing to see... suicide guv... these are honest men who defend us in their job every day in Iraq! Trustworthy folks!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye, its what they train for. Yeah, for fucks sake. The Army... come here, bully the newbies and get away with it, even if you kill them! After all... nothing to see... suicide guv... these are honest men who defend us in their job every day in Iraq! Trustworthy folks!
    I love the smell of whitewash.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I love the smell of whitewash.
    Film lines that should have been.