Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is BBC News getting worse?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It used to seem really educated and informed, lots of politics and the like, recently there seems to be a lot of tabloidy stuff in there (this is quite hard to put into words, so excuse me ;)), like having piss-poor puns as the headlines and such. There was a satirical piece on wild cats in britain as well, where it said things like 'The lynx is still living there today. Stuffed and mounted.' And I can just tell the journalist wanted to write "LMAO!!!" after that, or something.

Just seems more noise than news at the minute. Seems a shame :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check the viewing figures for ITV News, the televisual version of the Daily Mail. ITV News use loads of crap puns in their stories, I suspect the BBC is just trying to lure more viewers away by dumbing down its news bulletins.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Check the viewing figures for ITV News, the televisual version of the Daily Mail. ITV News use loads of crap puns in their stories, I suspect the BBC is just trying to lure more viewers away by dumbing down its news bulletins.

itv news doesnt seem to spring out at me as a channel that uses loads of puns, unless im missing the point
    MrG wrote:
    itv news doesnt seem to spring out at me as a channel that uses loads of puns, unless im missing the point
    Watch their evening bulletin tomorrow at 6.30pm, and you'll see exactly what I mean.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Thankyou b3ta

Erm, BBC is still probably the best news on TV though.

But yeah, i've even noticed grammatical and spelling errors on it these days.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Thankyou b3ta

Erm, BBC is still probably the best news on TV though.

But yeah, i've even noticed grammatical and spelling errors on it these days.

:lol:
    Aye, it's the TV news that gets me riled up...

I'd sooner learn about current affairs from what 8 year old viewers text into Newsround, than from ITV's "news" "reporting". Utter shit.

I wish their newsreaders would sit the fuck down, too. That 'Pulse' thing at lunchtime has GOT TO GO, as well, I swear only the most cretinous idiots call in their views. :rolleyes:

I have a big soft spot for the BBC 6 o'clock news, I must say. Look North is a thing for north-easterners to be proud of, too, especially when compared to the shit that passes for regional news in the north-west (and I want to be Carol Malia when I grow up).
    Channel 4 news is the only news I watch these days. Plus BBC News Northern Ireland.
    BBC has Suzanne Verdi. Lovely, sexiest, most wonderful news presenter anywhere. 'nuff said. :)
    Newsnight it's always good.

Has anyone noticed the difference between BBC1 main news bulletins and those of BBC News 24? It's interesting to see they often have difference headline-topping stories. I guess it's down to who is the editor/producer of what channel...
    As any fule kno, Channel Four News is by far and away the best TV news source in this country.

Has anyone seen the news bulletins on BBC Three? They interrupt all programming every hour for 30 seconds of news, 20 seconds of which is talking about George Michael's cat or something.
    I have no idea really, I only read the technology and science section... Sometimes it is a bit lacking of information I think tho...
    BBC World News is nothing more than the UK equivalent of sanitised US corporate news. Too busy catering to the sensitivitiesof their corporate advertisers to provide any indepth critical analysis. It all boils down to the same end truth, if you want to truly be informed you have take the time to do some real research away from brand name media sources.

Alternative and independent press is where youll find the last vestiges of true "investigative" reporting.
    BBC World News is nothing more than the UK equivalent of sanitised US corporate news. Too busy catering to the sensitivitiesof their corporate advertisers to provide any indepth critical analysis. It all boils down to the same end truth, if you want to truly be informed you have take the time to do some real research away from brand name media sources.

Alternative and independent press is where youll find the last vestiges of true "investigative" reporting.

I have mentioned before that BBC World isnt like BBC here, yes its crap, but thats not reflective of the news coverage here.
    BBC World News is nothing more than the UK equivalent of sanitised US corporate news. Too busy catering to the sensitivitiesof their corporate advertisers to provide any indepth critical analysis.

Umm...I somehow doubt that the BBC is all that busy catering to the sensitivities of their corporate advertisers - they don't have any.
    It all boils down to the same end truth, if you want to truly be informed you have take the time to do some real research away from brand name media sources.

Translation - "The only people who agree with me are on the internet." ;)
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Umm...I somehow doubt that the BBC is all that busy catering to the sensitivities of their corporate advertisers - they don't have any.

They do in the US, Clan only sees the American crap re-run channel and judges that (rightly) as being crap.
    briggi wrote:
    I wish their [ITV] newsreaders would sit the fuck down, too. That 'Pulse' thing at lunchtime has GOT TO GO, as well, I swear only the most cretinous idiots call in their views.
    It reminds me a lot of those talk shows you can hear on US radio stations over the Internet. The only ITV bulletin I can take remote seriously is the 10.30pm one, as the presenter is (usually) sitting down. All a newsreader needs is a chair, a desk, and pieces of paper to give the impression they aren't just autocue-reading gimps.
    Yep, I agree they ought to be sitting down. Sky News is the worst for this - they've got *three* presenters for a lot of bulletins now, standing and walking all over the place. It's only a matter of time until they bump into each other or trip over a cable and go flying...
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Yep, I agree they ought to be sitting down. Sky News is the worst for this - they've got *three* presenters for a lot of bulletins now, standing and walking all over the place. It's only a matter of time until they bump into each other or trip over a cable and go flying...
    That would certainly liven up bulletins on the quieter news days.
    Clan only sees the American crap re-run channel and judges that (rightly) as being crap.

Actually BB, I see the cable provided BBC World right here in Brussels and its still crap. Even the so called "Hardtalk" is the biggest piece of status quo-serving BS I have seen from a supposed "in-depth analysis" programme.

I do have BBC1 and 2 as well but frankly, their international news coverage still falls far short of what legitimate investigative reporting should be.

In my view all televised news has descended to the lowest common denominator of santisied drivel rather than being the watchdog for the people that press and media were meant to be. Today, they are all too busy protecting those they should be challenging and exposing relentlessly to be more than purveyors of misinformation.

I personally only watch tv news, and that very occasionally, to determine what they AREN'T saying.
    Sky News is truly awful. It really is.

Apparently they've been losing viewers at an alarming rate since their latest revamp... perhaps the public has got tired of all the flying logs, sound effects, rolling cameras, dramatic giant screens on the background covering up for the depth the programme lacks...
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sky News is truly awful. It really is. Apparently they've been losing viewers at an alarming rate since their latest revamp... perhaps the public has got tired of all the flying logs, sound effects, rolling cameras, dramatic giant screens on the background covering up for the depth the programme lacks...
    Their news coverage is fairly good, but all that does get in the way. When the presenter says "and now over to Westminster", you hear a 'whoosh' sound, as if this was some sort of cartoon. What's wrong with a good, old box on screen that says "Live: Westminster"?
    Radio 4 and Radio 5 are superb and easily outclass commercial rivals. For TV tbh I prefer Sky News although BBC News 24 isn’t bad. Abroad BBC World is sometimes available, although CNN is far better.
    Ahh yes, CNN, aka "American Propaganda International". A more acquiescent global media platform Washington couldn't hope to find.
    The BBC is utter, utter shit.

Quite how anyone with half a brain can call a state TV channel or any of the so called "commercial" TV channels (which will lose their licence the second they step out of line remember) unbiased is totally beyond me.

If anything better than the beeb manages to crop up then it's licence will get pulled, simple as. So we have the same organisation that gives the beeb it's licence fee and charter also deciding whch of it's competeors can enter the field.

Utterly ludicrous.
    Radio 4

:heart:The best.

Sky News is atrocious imo.

The one news habit I really have to break is staying up to point and laugh at The O'Reilly Factor, it's like crack. :p
    klintock wrote:
    If anything better than the beeb manages to crop up then it's licence will get pulled, simple as. So we have the same organisation that gives the beeb it's licence fee and charter also deciding whch of it's competeors can enter the field.
    Coming soon - the Klintock news channel. Impartial news where money has no meaning and countries have no existence. :p
    I think Sky’s pretty good at covering breaking news, when things are happening fast – even if they do all too often end up treating what some random person they’ve spoken to in the street has told them as fact.

They’re pretty terrible in a lot of ways though, definitely, especially since the relaunch – nowhere near being in the same league as the BBC.
    Coming soon - the Klintock news channel. Impartial news where money has no meaning and countries have no existence :p

Well, it would have headlines like "men in colour co-ordinated outfits kill other men in mufti - they say "it was for their own good". Mass murderer Tony Blair today claimed against all factual evidence that the "british people" backed him and his sadistic cult, known as "the labour party", who claim they have a link that science has so far failed to verify.

In other news, the value of the money that the "state" cult uses violence to make you use fell by 0.25% this week, making sure you will live in penury in your old age.

This just in, I can hear booted feet and eerk! >...........
    klintock wrote:
    Well, it would have headlines like "men in colour co-ordinated outfits kill other men in mufti - they say "it was for their own good". Mass murderer Tony Blair today claimed against all factual evidence that the "british people" backed him and his sadistic cult, known as "the labour party", who claim they have a link that science has so far failed to verify.

In other news, the value of the money that the "state" cult uses violence to make you use fell by 0.25% this week, making sure you will live in penury in your old age.
    It's got more realism than most news we hear about, I'll give you that... anyone want to help get this project off the ground? Where do you fancy having your offices? :p
    Ahh yes, CNN, aka "American Propaganda International". A more acquiescent global media platform Washington couldn't hope to find.

:rolleyes: Says he who’s bizarre conspiracy theorist sources include amateur homemade websites with anonymous authors and well truly wild instances of defamation.

At the moment the conspiracy theorists wouldn’t be able to set up their own TV channel here to air their wild – yet frequently amusing lies due to regulations on impartiality and integrity affecting TV, but tbh I really wouldn’t have a problem Clan with laxing the regulations so you’re loony friends can set up their own channel and we can all have a chuckle at them.