Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

people who don't bother....then scrounge off you and others at the last minute

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Rant sorry...

This just really pisses me off. I had some history cw that had to be in way before xmas. I got it in fine...we were told that was the deadline and i worked my ass off. Then others haven't bothered until the last few weeks, got other people to send them theirs and came out with full marks :mad:
Maybe if i don't bother and get others to help me out i'll do better? Sorry it just really pisses me off when people get grades they don't deserve.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im a bit guilty of that.

You win some you loose some.
    Are other people helping them or just letting them copy their work but just changing the wording slightly?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Stuff like that pisses me off no end.

Me and my flatmate do an identical course at uni and help each other with assignments, share resources and stuff but just copying his not on.
    Sofie wrote:
    Are other people helping them or just letting them copy their work but just changing the wording slightly?
    well its not straight out copying....she would have put it into her own words
    I'd say I've been guilty of handing in essays extremely late a couple of times his year - everything just got on top of me and I procrastinated a lot.
    But no-one ever helped me with it. And people often get extremely annoyed if they see me getting away with handing things in late, and have a go at the teacher :s.
    its just not fair im just as stressed, probably even more so with my parents and im sticking to deadlines....they had about 4 months longer!
    Ballerina wrote:
    well its not straight out copying....she would have put it into her own words

Of course.

I can't believe earlier in 6th Form that there was someone who asked me if he could copy my maths homework twice - and yes, both times I did tell him no.

I'm ok with it if it's only helping someone, like showing them what I've written so they get an idea of what needs to be written, but copying is wrong. (And what exactly does someone learn from copying?)
    i tend to leave essays to the last minute... some ppl just don't find it easy to sit down and do work till it's really desperate (it sounds like im being a lazy bastard but it really isn't that :P)... though i think copying someones entire essay isn't on... i highly doubt they wouldn't detect that though. :/
    When I was doing A Level psych, they did that. Most of them hadn't done their coursework so just photocopied someone elses in the class and handed it in as their own. I honestly don't know how they got away with it :rolleyes:

Ilora x
    Ballerina wrote:
    its just not fair im just as stressed, probably even more so with my parents and im sticking to deadlines....they had about 4 months longer!

That's crap (them, not you) everyone should have the same amount of time - we always did. And it was either if we didn't finish our work in time, tough luck or we'd have to stay behind after school and finish the work off.
    Sofie wrote:
    That's crap (them, not you) everyone should have the same amount of time - we always did. And it was either if we didn't finish our work in time, tough luck or we'd have to stay behind after school and finish the work off.
    well they always put on sob stories so they get away with it
    Hmm, my bezzie always used to let me copy her [evil EVIL] trigonometry homework. In hindsight, I probably should've had it explained to me once again but our maths teacher was the demon headmistress and I just didn't fancy it, to be honest.

If it's just a question of them being bone idle then this is probably one of those life lessons that it's good to learn as early as possible - people get away with plagiarising, being lazy and crap in every walk of life. You can either grass them up or suck it up, unfortunately.

Don't let it get you down and start believing that you shouldn't bother, though. Actually doing the coursework, researching it, understanding it...all more important than the actual piece of work you hand in. You don't appreciate that now, especially if your mark is low compared to theirs, but it's the truth. :)
    Ballerina wrote:

maybe their excuses are true? :p

in uni they won't get away with plaguerising anyway so let them get on with it... extending deadlines is still fair enough if needed IMO.
    The only decent thing about school; you could hand in coursework as late as you wanted and plagurise to your hearts content. I let friends copy me ocassionally i didn't mind.
    Ah see, that's why stuff like media studies is so good, you have to write your own essays. Not like these micky mouse subjects like physics and maths where you can just get the answers handed to you on a plate.
    muse- wrote:
    maybe their excuses are true? :p

in uni they won't get away with plaguerising anyway so let them get on with it... extending deadlines is still fair enough if needed IMO.
    well no because 1 of them is my mate...she just didn't bother for ages and now complains that its all piled up :rolleyes:

btw...i've been asked by one of the journalists to submit this as a rant! :D
    Ballerina wrote:
    well no because 1 of them is my mate...she just didn't bother for ages and now complains that its all piled up :rolleyes:

And what exactly does she expect? If it bothers her that much, she should do the work when it's set.

They shouldn't do - when I was off for 3 weeks at the beginning of last year, I was expected to catch up and do all the work that I'd missed. I certainly didn't ask for the dealine to be extended for me...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    muse- wrote:
    i tend to leave essays to the last minute... some ppl just don't find it easy to sit down and do work till it's really desperate (it sounds like im being a lazy bastard but it really isn't that :P)... though i think copying someones entire essay isn't on... i highly doubt they wouldn't detect that though. :/

Aye, same - Occasionally I had to at school - but that was because in two sciences - Physics and Chemsitry - the teachers managed to screw up - we re-did Chemistry experiemnt 10 times because it didn't work, then she said make it up. So I did, and she promtly lost my work. Bitch.

Physics - I handed some in and it also disapeered. So the teacher said "copy this pupils" and gave it to me. Fine... if you say so.

For A level it is probably far harder to get away with copying. I wonder if people do get away with it though?
    In IT we have to build programs to do a certain task. I often struggle at the start but get it in the end. My mate just copies bits from mine, he doesnt say hes going to copy, just has a look and says 'ooh thats good' and then it appears - IDENTICALLY - in his. But its not just me, its other people too, and it seriously pisses people off. For example, I had produced a report where I formatted the address of the customer in a very specific way. His was EXACTLY the same. When I asked him about it, he said he didnt know that mine was. Even though he'd seen it the lesson before and then created a report showing the same thing that mine did. Arse. I changed mine and it looks even better now though :p
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Ballerina wrote:

btw...i've been asked by one of the journalists to submit this as a rant! :D

And here it is A grade cheaters :thumb:
    **Helen** wrote:
    And here it is A grade cheaters :thumb:
    I seethe with jealousy. (and no, I'm not being sarcastic. More bitter, than anything else)