Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Berlusconi: China "boiled babies"

Silvio Berlusconi. Not a name that inspires confidence, rather, a name that inspires despair and panic. Despair at his comments that he sees himself as "the Jesus Christ of politics". Panic at his constant gaffes and the knowledge a man with such a dubious history could run Italy.

This time, he's in "hot water" again with the lefties at the BBC. They hysterically rant: "Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has landed himself in hot water with comments that the Chinese under Mao Zedong 'boiled babies'. The PM, who is running for election in April, refused to withdraw his remarks when pressed by reporters, saying it was 'an historical fact'. But the gaffe has angered China, which is marking the Year of Italy in 2006." >> Details >>

The Chinese Foreign Ministry says: "We are dissatisfied with such groundless words. Italian leaders should use words and actions that are beneficial to stable and developing friendly relations between China and Italy,"

Yes, that's right. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind the world about China's pathetic human rights record. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind us that Chinese policies have forced the dumping of babies in gutters, as reported a few years ago. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind the world about the rise of this world power. Indeed, how dare he tell the truth about China, not the version Beijing would like us to believe.

I'm with Silvio Berlusconi over this one. How about you?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes, especially with two slices of bread and some bbq sauce

reckon im with italy on this one
    Anyone who describes the BBC as "lefties" is seriously misinformed.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Anyone who describes the BBC as "lefties" is seriously misinformed.
    Does that mean to say that the BBC is stuffed to the gills full of neo-conservatives? It sure as heck doesn't seem like it in their news reporting.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Does that mean to say that the BBC is stuffed to the gills full of neo-conservatives? It sure as heck doesn't seem like it in their news reporting.

to be honest, tell me if im seriously misinformed, but that news report seemed pretty impartial to me
    MrG wrote:
    to be honest, tell me if im seriously misinformed, but that news report seemed pretty impartial to me
    Take a look to the right on this page. Notice how many links there are to other news articles critical of Mr Berlusconi. What does the BBC have against him? Or is it simply the fact he attacked the left-wing utopia that the BBC management seem to like so much?
    Nah, the beeb is stuffed to the gills with state apologists, sycophants and liars. It's paid for by theft, run by criminals and produces almost solely propoganda.

In short, it's state tv at it's finest.

The news story should read "thief and murderer acuses other thieves and murderers of boiling babies."
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Take a look to the right on this page. Notice how many links there are to other news articles critical of Mr Berlusconi. What does the BBC have against him? Or is it simply the fact he attacked the left-wing utopia that the BBC management seem to like so much?

because maybe he has had a lot of bad press recently?

and you might notice that any bbc news article has related articles along side it, dont know if this is automatic or someone does it themselves
    klintock wrote:
    Nah, the beeb is stuffed to the gills with state apologists, sycophants and liars. It's paid for by theft, run by criminals and produces almost solely propoganda. In short, it's state tv at it's finest.
    My sister's watching Davina McCall on the Beeb right now. That doesn't seem to be propaganda. It just seems to be crap.
    The news story should read "thief and murderer acuses other thieves and murderers of boiling babies."
    Not even the BBC would go for that. :p
    My sister's watching Davina McCall on the Beeb right now. That doesn't seem to be propaganda. It just seems to be crap.

Seems to be doing a good job of keeping some people distracted.

Heres some crap, don't rouse from your slumber, pay your taxes and obey our laws.
    klintock wrote:
    Seems to be doing a good job of keeping some people distracted. Heres some crap, don't rouse from your slumber, pay your taxes and obey our laws.
    Well, she's doing well out of it, isn't she? She's making about a million pounds out of it. Nice work if you can get it. That is, being a crap imitation of Parkinson. He's a miserable, but friendly Yorkshireman and that's why his show works. Davina, well, it doesn't work full stop.

I can't wait for Kermit to see this... ;)

Do you trust any news sources, Klintock?
    SG ...do you check each night for reds under your bed?
    seriously.
    what is this endless lefty bashing ...and labeling people as lefties with no grounds whatsoever?
    SG ...do you check each night for reds under your bed? seriously.
    what is this endless lefty bashing ...and labeling people as lefties with no grounds whatsoever?
    What leftie bashing? I just labelled the BBC as "left-wing", which is hardly a world-first, is it?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What leftie bashing? I just labelled the BBC as "left-wing", which is hardly a world-first, is it?
    no but it does seem to be an irritating and missinformed habit you have picked up.
    the lefties at the BBC. They hysterically rant: "Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has landed himself in hot water with comments that the Chinese under Mao Zedong 'boiled babies'.

can you point out the hysteria please?
    i'll second that s.g,what is it about lefties that you hate so much?

are we talking hard left or what?

and,why do you class yourself as right wing?
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i'll second that s.g,what is it about lefties that you hate so much? are we talking hard left or what? and,why do you class yourself as right wing?
    I'm more towards right-wing, because I'm a believer in the free markets, in minimum state intervention and in basically letting people get on with their lives without politicians dictating to them otherwise.

However, many people here seem to believe the Left/Right boundaries don't apply anymore, so why I get a hard time over this point is beyond me.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm more towards right-wing, because I'm a believer in the free markets, in minimum state intervention and in basically letting people get on with their lives without politicians dictating to them otherwise.

However, many people here seem to believe the Left/Right boundaries don't apply anymore, so why I get a hard time over this point is beyond me.
    and do you believe that a tory government will fulfill all these ideals of yours?
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    and do you believe that a tory government will fullfill all these ideals of yours?
    No. Definitely not as they stand now.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No. Definitely not as they stand now.
    so they will change?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    why I get a hard time over this point is beyond me.
    you get a hard time cos if theres something you don't like ...it's a lefties fault.
    nothing to do with you being to the right at all.
    it's always all out of context.
    you have mentioned left wing hysteria in reporting something ...please point out the hysteria or accept YOUR ...hysteria. please.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so they will change?
    Will the Tory Party change, or will Britain change? If the first... I don't particularly blame the Tories in a sense. They have to do whatever they can to get elected. But at the same time, if the main political parties stand for nothing, (other than whatever keeps them popular for the next five minutes) then I cannot support them.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Weekender Offender 
    so at election time you won't vote then sg?
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so at election time you won't vote then sg?
    If you meant the General Election, I don't know yet. I'm not sure I like the idea of Gordon Brown running the country, yet am equally suspicious that David Cameron would be no better. It won't be an easy decision.
    Do you trust any news sources, Klintock?

Don't be ridiculous, of course I don't. I will happily admit that it's rarely intentional but the whole of mainstream AND alternative media makes so many false pronouncements it really can't be trusted.

Not their fault, they have all been indoctrinated into the "country/nation/state" cult. You might as well try and get detailed factual info out of David Koresh.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If you meant the General Election, I don't know yet. I'm not sure I like the idea of Gordon Brown running the country, yet am equally suspicious that David Cameron would be no better. It won't be an easy decision.
    its allways been my view that labour turned tory.

i'm just a little confused as to what a "leftie" is in your view?
    Good for Berlusconi, he deserves credit for being just about the only world leader around willing to speak bluntly about China. (Chirac and Schroder meanwhile conveniently criticising countries that would garner electoral support at home but then ignoring China’s gigantic record of humans rights abuses to chase economic advantages and arms deals).

And even China today deserves far more criticism than it gets for its appalling human rights record. I don’t know whether the specific comment Berlusconi made is entirely accurate but since millions upon millions died under Mao’s evil regime there’s more than a grain of truth to Berlusconi's remark.

Romano Prodi swiftly condemned Berlusconi’s comments, a shame really that while Prodi was European Commission president he never made any real condemnation of human rights in China or the occupation of Tibet.

Interesting too that while Jack Straw (among the first politicians to criticise cartoonists in Denmark for offending Muslims) had no words of condemnation for the Afghan Christian convert threatened with a death sentence for converting to Christianity Berlusconi had offered asylum to the man in question. And Abdul Rahman is now under the care of the Italian govt. link. Good luck to Berlusconi.
    And even China today deserves far more criticism than it gets for its appalling human rights record. I don’t know whether the specific comment Berlusconi made but since millions upon millions died under Mao’s evil regime there’s more than a grain of truth to his remark.

Romano Prodi swiftly condemned Berlusconi’s comments, a shame really that while Prodi was European Commission president he never made any real condemnation of human rights in China or the occupation of Tibet.

Interesting that while Jack Straw (among the first politicians to criticise cartoonists in Denmark for offending Muslims) had no words of condemnation for the Afghan Christian convert threatened with a death sentence for converting to Christianity. Berlusconi meanwhile offered asylum and Abdul Rahman is under the care of the Italian govt. Link. Good luck to Berlusconi.
    Look at the teaching of History in schools, for instance. (and before anyone tries to rubbish me, bear in mind I've done History up to A-Level and nearly carried on with it to degree level) We studied abuses of power that went on under Hitler and under Stalin. As far as I'm concerned, the two were evil megalomaniacs responsible for the deaths of millions. Hitler is always condemned unequivocally - and rightly so. But many refuse to criticise Stalin. Is it because several members of our useless government were communist party members/ communist sympathisers?

Jack Straw refuses to criticise people because he's a pathetic joke of a Foreign Secretary. My dog could be a better ambassador to the country than he could. And Romano Prodi has about as much of a contribution to make to the human rights debate as the contents of a toilet bowl.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol: Boiled Babies indeed. In a minute he'll tell us in Iran they eat babies and tie women to horses for a laugh.

He could have made his case viable and beleiveable by using REAL examples such as the highest number of executions of criminals, often for comparativley minor crimes, or the ruthless oppression of dissidence, or indeed, the dumping of unwanted babies.

But no. He had to be a twat and make something up discrediting his already tarnished image after saying women should stay at home and do housework, like the good Catholic Church dictates. Perhaps he got this "boiling babies" story from them too? Twunt.

Either way. It's to effing late to stop China now. They hold the reigns already. Shame they couldn't go and clobber the Japanese one, they want right sorting out at the moment.
    stargalaxy wrote:

:rolleyes: