Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prophet Mohammed London protests: man arrested

2»

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Walkindude wrote:
    Glorifying terrorims an dspecfc death threats don't come under free speech to me.

Sorry, I actually *cannot* work out that word :p Why not also? I reserve my right to spout shit when I feel like it. DEATH TO THE FRENCH! Sorry, did I offend you?
    Walkindude wrote:
    And how good are video camera's when they cover their face?? :rolleyes:

Any sensible terrorist would. The IRA been doing it for years.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly. So sitting back the camcorder and not doing owt isn' gonna get those protestors arrested is it?

No you didn't offend me, I hate the french!!!

but I mean making comments on the holocaust, 9/11, 7/7 etc isnt on really.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    but I mean making comments on the holocaust, 9/11, 7/7 etc isnt on really.

But there are some funny jokes to be had out of it. I mean, if we made that illegal... we'd have to take down b3ta! :(

I know what you mean... but I think it's fine to say it... as long as you don't act. Its where to draw the line, isn't it?
    "I hate the French/Jews/Muslims/Yanks/Chinese/Etc" - Ok.
    "You should go and kill a Jew every day" - No. Factually incorrect and bad.
  • Options
    Only there seems to be rather selective sensitivities when it comes to such expressions.

If someone new came here and stated "I hate Jews" or "I hate blacks" he would be very quickly shot down in flames by most people, including many, I suspect, who bang on about freedom of expression.

Say "I hate the French", however, and it doesn't matter in the slightest.

What's the difference?

PS I really don't understand what the problem some many people in this country have with the French is. One would almost be tempted to think it's some kind of inferiority complex ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Only there seems to be rather selective sensitivities when it comes to such expressions.

If someone new came here and stated "I hate Jews" or "I hate blacks" he would be very quickly shot down in flames by most people, including many, I suspect, who bang on about freedom of expression.

Say "I hate the French", however, and it doesn't matter in the slightest.

What's the difference?

OMG yuo anti-semite ken livingstone evil!1!1 commie bastard!11!!!

Ahem. Lets leave the mail behind... it's because they've been persecuted for ages, they think it somehow makes them "better" or makes other unallowed to criticise them. Hence Israel gets away with anything it does, including mass murder. You can't criticise them, or you are a nazi!
    Aladdin wrote:
    PS I really don't understand what the problem some many people in this country have with the French is. One would almost be tempted to think it's some kind of inferiority complex ;)

Haha. No, its because they pick shit leaders like Chirac. ;p Or that they surrender too much :)
  • Options
    Of course there are funny jokes to be had, even out of tragic events but saying the "real holocuast is coming" is an anti-semtic remark and chanting about yay 7/7 and 9/11 is just wrong.

Plus they made specific death threats, not just random "I hate danes and brits"

so I think its justified they should be arrested and charged.
  • Options
    So wait a second...Walkindude got banned from theSite by the moderators here on these messages boards, for this post? He got banned for saying the people making death threads should have been arrested?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I really don't understand what the problem some many people in this country have with the French is.

They were fighting each other for hundreds of years like. Bit like the Irish hating the English, the terms are fairly good now between the two nations but the legacy of previous conflict still lives on.

And how the hell do we know Mohammed was a Prophet? How do we know him and Jesus weren't two conmen out to fool everyone. Mohammed is a prick! (Oh cue the onslaught..."behead those internet geeks who insult Islam")
  • Options
    I'll say this once, and only once. We do not humilate banned members by dragging their behaviour into a public forum, and I'd ask other's don't as well. Just because certain member's here are hearing only one side of the story doesn't mean they are hearing the truth.

Walkindude has been made perfectly aware of the situation and how it has developed over the last few weeks. We need to make decisions based on much than one side, and on much more than just what has been posted.

If you don't like it, and if you don't you don't know the whole story, you'll have to find somewhere else to post.
  • Options
    And for anyone who doesn't realise it - it's a fucking horrible thing to have to do that's been pressing on us heavily today - but then we don't get paid to always do the easy thing.

Now - please return to the topic, I don't want to shut down another thread
  • Options
    Oh come on, I want the goss on why he was banned!