Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Returns/original form of payment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to take a pair of jeans back for a refund...should be no problem as they are obviously faulty...problem is, i closed the account they were charged to and the receipt states refunds are based on the original method of payment.

I presume that they can point blank refuse to provide a cash refund, anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the jeans are faulty then they have a legal responsibility to refund or replace the faulty items, that's under the Sale of Goods Act. They can't fob you off with arguments about refunding to the same card, if you can show that you bought the items with your money at that store.

If they're not faulty then they don't have to refund or replace, so can state any rule that they wish to.
    They weren't having any of it and demanded the refund be sent to an account. It makes no sense, electronic or green paper they'll lose the same amount.

A bizarre insistence.
    Where i work if we cant put it back onto the card, we have to do it in gift vouchers, i dont see the difference myself an why they dont give it back in money, but apparently the company signed an agreement when it opened that for refunds they must be refunded in the same way they were sold or something.
    Where i work if we cant put it back onto the card, we have to do it in gift vouchers, i dont see the difference myself an why they dont give it back in money, but apparently the company signed an agreement when it opened that for refunds they must be refunded in the same way they were sold or something.

Yeah, loads of companies do it, so it must be acceptable legally...although if a refund for faulty merchandise is obligatory then there must be a loophole of some sort. It's a good excuse to channel even more money through the banking system so i'm not entirely surprised.
    Most shop assistants don't understand the Sale of Goods Act, to be brutally honest, and follow shop policy instead. Shops don't legally have to refund or return anything if the item isn't faulty, so they can make up as many rules as they want. Shop policy is normally to prevent fraud, but most fraudsters would say they paid cash.

They can't refuse to refund you money for a faulty item. The law says so.