Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teacher sex case

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was reading this article this morning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/22/earlyshow/main1429564.shtml

I can't believe that this teacher managed to walk away scot free after having sex on a number of occasions with one of her 14 year old students.

I can't for the life of me understand why the courts have let this one go. If it was a male teacher then he would be locked up straight away and declared a menace to society (and rightly so) but this woman is not?!

Whether the boy agreed to have sex with her or not, her actions were inexcusibly wrong. She abused her position of power.
At the end of the day, whether she is a woman or a man, the case involves letting an adult have sex with a minor and get away with it. How can the courts let this happen?

What are you thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's hardly "rape" as that article claims. Most 14 years would jump at the chance of shagging her...and all of them would know exactly what they were doing.

I don't see what harm at all she has caused - no doubt the boy will have immense kudos among his peers.
    Haha america, where a teen murders someone and suffers the full force of the law but has sex with someone and is an innocent rape victim.
    haha i wouldn't mind learning my PSHRE from her ;)
    Oh I read about this a few months ago. There was a big hoo-haa about it in the states because as part of the investigation the cops tooks pics of her bits so that the kid was supposed to indentify the shots of her privates in court or suchlike. Then a magazine applied to have the pictures under freedom of information laws in Florida.
    So if a guy has sex with a 14 year old girl, even with her consent it is rape, but if a woman has consenting sex with a 14 year old boy it is not rape/illegal criminal sex?
    \
    Its rape because they had sex and one was under 18 or 16 and in jesus land this qualifies as statutory rape and clearly the adult should be fried in the electric chair.
    Interesting. So although no penetration was forced on the boy, it can still be sexual assault and carry the same sentence.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I don't see what harm at all she has caused - no doubt the boy will have immense kudos among his peers.

So if a 14 year old girl had had sex with her male teacher, she wanted to do it and she would probably get a pat on the back from all her friends because he was good looking that would be ok too?
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's hardly "rape" as that article claims. Most 14 years would jump at the chance of shagging her...and all of them would know exactly what they were doing.

When I was 14 I'd have sold my soul to the devil to have sex with a woman who looked like that - but I'm sure plenty of 14-year-old girls fancy their teachers as well, still doesn't make it right for the teachers to take advantage of that and shag them.
    \
    What's the problem?

The boy didn't want to testify, the boy's family didn't want to testify. What's more important- the feelings of the victim, or dragging something through court?

She wouldn't have had charges dropped if the boy truly was "raped" as the moron on CBS was trying to claim.

He didn't exactly seem an unwilling partner in all this. Sure, she abused his and his family's trust, but it wasn't rape, for both technical and moral reasons.

The boy consented, therefore it isn't rape or equivalent to rape. It's illegal to have sex with a minor, but it isn't rape.
    shes hot
    MrG wrote:
    shes hot
    Sky News were running this for much of last week. It's just an excuse for them to publish pictures of a cute blonde. And why not, eh?

As for the case, it doesn't seem the boy was raped. She broke the law by having sex with him, but there was nothing else.
    but he can't lawfully consent if he is below the age of consent? Or am I totally misunderstanding this? (I'm not really much cop on law tbh)
    Kermit wrote:
    What's the problem?
    The boy consented, therefore it isn't rape or equivalent to rape. It's illegal to have sex with a minor, but it isn't rape.
    it cant be rape unless the boy was penetrated, people dont seem to understand the basic legal meaning of rape
    I think in the US they class having sex with a minor as "statutory rape", whatever the hell that means.
    carrot12 wrote:
    but he can't lawfully consent if he is below the age of consent? Or am I totally misunderstanding this?
    #

Yeah, you are.

You can consent at any age to sexual intercourse.

Under the age of 13, this consent counts for nothing. If you penetrate a girl's vagina and she is under the age of 13 you are liable for the same tariff as if you had raped her.

between the ages of 13 and 16, you can be convicted of having sex with a minor. This is where the girl has consented to sex, but she is younger than 16, so consent is irrelevant. This has a maximum sentence of, I believe, two years in prison.

A woman having sex with a boy attracts different crimes and tariffs, as a female can not rape a male. It, again, is illegal to have sex with a minor, and the 13 age limit does apply again in terms of deciding the seriousness of the crime.

basically this woman didn't rape the boy because a) he consented, b) he was old enough to give consent and c) he's a male and she's female.

It's obviously different in this case, as it is a US case not a UK case. But the same basic principle still applies.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I think in the US they class having sex with a minor as "statutory rape", whatever the hell that means.

theres quite a difference between statutory rape and rape
    Not as much in jesus land.
    Kermit wrote:
    c) he's a male and she's female.

That's what I don't get, why should that make a difference?

I agree that the boy wasn't raped, but why should the fact that she's a woman make any difference?
    If it had been a male teacher getting off with a willing 14-year-boy, the prosecutor would have been out for blood...
    It's just not the same as when a man rapes a girl I'm afraid. People might like to bleat on about how now women are considered equal, they should be treated equally in all cases, but this is one case where there is a clear asymmetry between the seriousness of a male teacher having sex with a 14 year old girl, and a female teacher having sex with a 14 year old boy. I'm not condoning what she did, but it's just not as serious or as bad as if the situation were reversed, and to imprison her would be pointless, and would be being done not in the name of justice but to make an example of her, and I think that is wrong.

But why is it not the same?

I think we've all agreed that the boy wasn't raped, so the idea of penetration can't be used. But her having sex with him was just as bad as a male teacher having sex with a girl who "wants" to have sex with him.

I think it is as serious and as bad as if the situation were reveresed.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    If it had been a male teacher getting off with a willing 14-year-boy, the prosecutor would have been out for blood...

Yeah, I think that's true.
    I think a lot of it is down to the view that people have of men being the sexual predetors and women having a passive part to play in sex, which is just wrong.
    Ok that seems logical, thanks for the explanation.
    Kermit wrote:
    basically this woman didn't rape the boy because a) he consented, b) he was old enough to give consent and c) he's a male and she's female.
    I guess these people also think I was raped by my first girlfriends mum. :rolleyes:
    i was abused by a twelve year old girl once ....

i was nine at the time.
    i decided she was bigger than me so what could i do but let her have her wicked way a couple of times a week ...till i met her 11 year sister who was much prettier.

this thread got me to thinking of the female teachers i usd to fantasise about having sex with at secondry school. :blush:
    parting from the topic for one second, for all the guys in here, and for any gals who wish to pretend they are male, at the age of 14, would you have had sex with that woman, looking at the picture in the newsreport
    I could see the appeal yes but i doubt i would have... at 14 girls were still scary :(
    Renzo wrote:
    I could see the appeal yes but i doubt i would have... at 14 girls were still scary :(

fair point :lol: