Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Council tax/sub let query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi new to the boards :wave:

Just wondering who knows about council tax.

Basically I’m subletting a council flat and need the council tax put in my name as the landlord needs the council tax to be in their name on their new property and I don’t think you can have your name on both can you?

I’m worried if the council see the name change that they’ll twig I’m there and he isn’t and evict me.

The rent’s being paid and everything but if I get chucked out I’ll have to go in a squat or something as I literally have nowhere else to go. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can't sublet a property like that, no. It's against the terms of the rent. The property's landlord (i.e. the council) would evict anyone sub-letting the property.

If the landlord owns it its different.

Your landlord can have his name on more than one council tax bill, though. He'd actually be entitled to a 50% non-occupancy discount on one of the properties. However, I would expect the council to pop round and check why he isn't there anymore, but still wants to pay rent on it.

Sadly as a sub-lettee on a tenancy agreement that bars sub-letting, you have no rights.
    I'm not sure about that actually. I think most councils don't do anything about sub-letting
    Few councils run their own housing programme anymore. Most are run by independent or semi-independent organisations.

AFAIK sub-letting is against the tenancy agreement, and action will be taken against those doing it. If they find out, of course.
    Yeah you're not allowed to sublet, the council allocates council housing on the basis of need.
    I’m renting a council flat and the person who is meant to be living here with me is the offcial tennant.

I’ve been living here 5 years now as a lodger but he’s buying somewhere and I don’t wanna lose the flat as I cant afford to live anywhere else.

I know what I’m doing’s illegal it’s just how quickly the separate boroughs will realise if at all?

Basis of need is if I have to move out of there I’ll have to move to either a squat or a hostel. :(
    Ask him to check the lease, some have a clause whereby the current tenant can swap to someone else if certain guarantees are made.
    I know here if you are related and have been there more than 6 months the tenancy can go into your name but i dunno about non relatives.
    Why not contact the council and tell them whats happening. Afterall if you are gonna be homeless they should help you even if you can't stay there.