Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I just don't get it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Everyone! I'm new here, and am looking for some advice on my broken friendship.

My friend and I were getting along great and had started to become somewhat close. She helped me through an emotionally rough month back in December, and then everything was cool again in January. I have very few close friends, and the ones I have mean the world to me and I tell them that. Her and I even exchanged "I love yous". This friendship is no where near sexual--so I don't want to give that impression, we both happily married. Anyway, late in January, she lost out on a high profile job that she really, really wanted and she took it extremely hard. She holed herself up. She has a history of severe depression, and one time suicidal tendancies, so I of course was really worried about her. I talked to her on the phone and told her I would be in touch. After that, she would never respond to anything I did. After 2 weeks, I told her I love her, I care about her and I'm here for her, but I really wanted to know she was okay so I could stop worrying. She didn't respond. I would try to contact her about 3 times a week after that because I became somewhat more worried. Finally after 5 weeks, she emails saying she feels uncomfortable that I tell her I love her, and I'm a lovely girl, she wishes me the best of everything, but now stop contacting her.

What? Why the change in attitude all of a sudden? One week she says I love you, the next week, she's alienated me. I don't get it. Should I wait a little while and then try contacting her again to try to talk this out, or forget it and move on? I'm so confused. Since when is telling a friend who's depressed that you love them and care about them the wrong thing to do?

Comments

• Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm new here, and am looking for some advice on my broken friendship.

My friend and I were getting along great and had started to become somewhat close. She helped me through an emotionally rough month back in December, and then everything was cool again in January. I have very few close friends, and the ones I have mean the world to me and I tell them that. Her and I even exchanged "I love yous". This friendship is no where near sexual--so I don't want to give that impression, we both happily married. Anyway, late in January, she lost out on a high profile job that she really, really wanted and she took it extremely hard. She holed herself up. She has a history of severe depression, and one time suicidal tendancies, so I of course was really worried about her. I talked to her on the phone and told her I would be in touch. After that, she would never respond to anything I did. After 2 weeks, I told her I love her, I care about her and I'm here for her, but I really wanted to know she was okay so I could stop worrying. She didn't respond. I would try to contact her about 3 times a week after that because I became somewhat more worried. Finally after 5 weeks, she emails saying she feels uncomfortable that I tell her I love her, and I'm a lovely girl, she wishes me the best of everything, but now stop contacting her.

What? Why the change in attitude all of a sudden? One week she says I love you, the next week, she's alienated me. I don't get it. Should I wait a little while and then try contacting her again to try to talk this out, or forget it and move on? I'm so confused. Since when is telling a friend who's depressed that you love them and care about them the wrong thing to do?

I get the feeling shes falling for you. of course I could be wrong. Just leave her to figure things out. I know its hard but try not to worry about her. If she wants to get in touch she will
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You need to give her some time and space. Wait for her to make contact with you, if she doesn't you need to move on. Ball is in her court. :)
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    You need to give her some time and space. Wait for her to make contact with you, if she doesn't you need to move on. Ball is in her court. :)

have to agree with JsT on this one. she'll be fine. I know its hard but im sure its for the best.