Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

loft.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok we bought our flat in august and it has a loft but we were told by the seller that its actually a shared loft with the flat below. they dont bother with it and the entrance to it is actually in our flat so i dont think anybody would be really intrested in putting anything in it as we could be up snooping about. anyhoo we like the idea of turning it into a room but we need to know the ins and outs with it being a shared loft. is it really a shared loft, how would we go about buying it outright if it is etc etc. were do we start any ideas????
thanks in advance

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    firstly speak to the people below to see how they feel.
    Is it freehold or leasehold and what does it say on the deeds?
    ehhhhhhhhhh ??????? dont know what a freehold or leasehold is and i think the solicitor has the deeds. sound like a dumbass now!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    wee wuman wrote:
    ehhhhhhhhhh ??????? dont know what a freehold or leasehold is and i think the solicitor has the deeds. sound like a dumbass now!

Freehold and Leasehold.

Tbh, it's something you really should've found out before buying the house. If it is leasehold, you cannot do anything to the land, buildings etc unless you have permission from whoever the leaseholder is. It all gets complicated.
    I think you will need to consult the solicitor who dealt with the conveyancing, to be honest.

The loft is "shared" because you and the other flat have shared responsibilities in mainatining the roof space. You probably won't be able to buy the roof off them because of the way the flats are built. If you can buy the loft, you will probably then also be responsible for full maintenance of the roof, and be liable for any damage to the lower flat if the roof becomes damaged.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think you will need to consult the solicitor who dealt with the conveyancing, to be honest.

The loft is "shared" because you and the other flat have shared responsibilities in mainatining the roof space. You probably won't be able to buy the roof off them because of the way the flats are built. If you can buy the loft, you will probably then also be responsible for full maintenance of the roof, and be liable for any damage to the lower flat if the roof becomes damaged.

ah thats good info there. i had no idea how it was shared when the only access is through out house. i know that someone used to use it as a room as i went to school with the guy that lived in it years ago and its floored and wallpapered but needs work. i guess it could be used as a room and downstairs downstairs wouldnt know or be bothered but its when others move in and could want access to it.

lot to think about, thanks
    It depends what your flat is like.

I presume its like my old flat, a "geordie semi". Looks like a normal semi, but is four flats instead of two houses. In that case, the roof- and responsibility for it- is shared. Though obviously the lower flat couldn't demand to put their junk in it.

You'd also need planning permission if you were to undertake a loft conversion in order to make the space suitable for human habitation.

If you're just wanting to board it out as a junk room you'd be fine, but not to do much else.
    Kermit wrote:
    It depends what your flat is like.

I presume its like my old flat, a "geordie semi". Looks like a normal semi, but is four flats instead of two houses. In that case, the roof- and responsibility for it- is shared. Though obviously the lower flat couldn't demand to put their junk in it.

You'd also need planning permission if you were to undertake a loft conversion in order to make the space suitable for human habitation.

If you're just wanting to board it out as a junk room you'd be fine, but not to do much else.

yeah its a flat just like that. we will see how it goes its just a thought just now as we still have lots to do in the flat but cheers for the info! :thumb: