Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Settling down

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Putting down roots, whatever you want to call it.

It seems that a lot of people stay in the area in which they grew up, or where they went to University... at least for a considerable chunk of their life. Makes sense, of course, since you know the place...more than likely have a job etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any plans to that effect, or if you've already effectively "settled down" then was it where you planned to? Anyone actively planning to stay in their hometown for the forseeable future?

By this I mean realistically, none of this "I want an apartment in NY, beach house in Miami, mews house in London etc" - be realistic, not aspirational. :p

I'm having a bit of a think about this at the moment; I want to move but I can't quite decide which direction to go..
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:

I'm having a bit of a think about this at the moment; I want to move but I can't quite decide which direction to go..

i'd advise south. You wont want to end up in Scotland!
  • Options
    Not too sure myself. Am hoping that when (and if) I go to uni it won't be either of the ones in Plymouth. Also, I hope not to live here for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    You wont want to end up in Scotland!

I wouldn't mind. :razz:
  • Options
    well i went away to university and was exceptionally happy in manchester, but i still ended up back in burnley due to family and friends and just familarity really. i guess im really settled here but i wouldnt have any problems moving somewhere new, it'd be an adventure.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    You wont want to end up in Scotland!

:grump:

I'd be quite happy to live in Edinburgh for the rest of my life. I love this city. It's the perfect size, it's got beautiful architecture and it just glows during the summer.
  • Options
    Does no one else feel that "pull of your roots/heritage/whatever"?

I think I'm a bit young to be going on like this; as isn't it when you get old[er] that you're supposed to want to get back to where you started from...but I'm seriously considering it. A displaced person, I think.
  • Options
    I'm stuck between two minds. On one side I want to live in a big city with a great nightlife but I'd also love to live in the countryside round my own area so I could be close to family and childhood friends. Dunno yet.
  • Options
    Me, Im leaving the south, its horrible down here, Moving to scotland for various reasons, except for glasgow scotland is a lovely country :D
  • Options
    I'm probably going to/want to say in London all my life. But no way in the part where i'm grown up. It's a pretty unpleasant area. I want to travel all over the uk and will probably go to uni somewhere different but i want to end up somewhere where it isn't too much trouble to hop on the tube across the city and see my family whenever i want.
  • Options
    Hello,

I think that most people settle where they went to university or lived before they went. However there are also a significant number who will move to find work. I grew up in london and for the sector I work in it makes perfect sense to remain here. However loads of people will move to london for work and a few of my friends have moved to other parts of the country because of thier jobs.

I also have two other friends who have moved away because they wanted a different lifestyle - one to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and the other to the south of france.

I think it depends on a whole variety of things - for example I couldnt' wait to escape from the place where I grew up for a variety of reasons - however I didn't exactly escape very far just to another bit of london about 30 mins in the car away from where I live, because i wanted a shorter commute to work, because i wanted to live in an area that was more me and because it was also easy for my boyfriend to get to work from.

But where you choose to live could be very different - it depends on whats most important to you.
      Do you want to live somewhere where you know everyone.
      Do you want to be close to your family.
      Is your carrer more important - ie would you move for the perfect job or would you move somewhere you really liked and the looked for a job..
      What kind of lifestyle do you want to have - do you love the countyside or the city - living in london especially is loads of fun and there are millions of things to do but its stupidly expensive..
      Where in reality can you live - are you able to afford to move out directly after university or will you have to move home to live with your parents..
      Do you want to live in the UK or move abroad.

I hope that helps a bit
  • Options
    I don't have a pull of roots, otherwise I would have the harbourside apartment in Sydney. I've always been a nomadic, because I was born on the other side of the world to an immigrant family there- home is where my family is, nothing more, nothing less.

I've ended up settling here for a number of reasons. This is a nice halfway point between our two families- mine are in Bradford, hers are in the Lake District. I went to uni in Durham, she went to uni in Newcastle, and we've both got jobs here.

We never made a conscious decision to stay here though. We've just ended up here, and now we've bought a house in a very nice part of town, we're happy to stay here for now. I'm resigned to the fact my kids will be barcodes not Bantams (poor things).

I think you'd do a lot worse than staying here. I wouldn't leave the north, I'd miss the big hills and the big skies too much.
  • Options
    I know when i finish uni i want to get the hell out of Aylesbury! I want to live in a proper city like Bristol, Cardiff or London or something..
  • Options
    for myself i ended up buy house "settling down" in portsmouth, due to its where i went to Uni, i had friends there (most have now moved due to jobs), getting a job there. and parents followed me :banghead:

I'd like to either move to a little village i lived in when i was younger, or move back to Kent. but for the moment its a case of have job/friends and family here. so i'll be staying put.
  • Options
    When I was a kid I wanted most of all to move abroad. Now that it's actually possible, it's much more difficult mentally!

But I am planning on doing a bit of exchange studenting, and I would like to try working abroad or doing my masters somewhere else. But I have found that I keep finding all this weird stuff that's 'better' here in Iceland than abroad. The water, the size, the culture, etcetc. It's a matter of stopping to think and just do. The way I see it, I can always come crawling back if I go someplace else and hate it.
  • Options
    I left my hometown about 5 years ago, and am not interested in going back for any more than about a week at a time.

I'd quite happily settle around here for the near future, although the only tie I have is my job. I think my career is about all I'd move for, now.
    Settling is a bit hard when it'd take a miracle to buy a house/flat, so I'm still feeling stuck in a limbo at the moment.

In the long term, I think I want to get out of this country, and as I progress careerwise It'll probably be a lot easier to do.
  • Options
    I think im going to be a durham person for a while to come

id just miss the place if i ever left
  • Options
    As much as I love the town I'm from but I'd love to live and work in Newcastle in the future.
  • Options
    When I was younger, I always loved the idea of starting fresh some place else. At the moment, I don't think I could move away. I love Belfast too much. It's got everything I need at the moment and I'd miss my family and friends as well.

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in so many years time :)
    If I was to move out of Belfast, it be out of Northern Ireland as I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in N.Ireland to be honest. I'm spoilt living here as everything is all very convienent. Close to City Centre, Airport, Train, Bus stop. I'm a city girl. As much as I love visiting out in the countryside, I couldn't actually live there.
  • Options
    ....I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in N.Ireland to be honest. I'm spoilt living here as everything is all very convienent. Close to City Centre, Airport, Train, Bus stop. I'm a city girl. As much as I love visiting out in the countryside, I couldn't actually live there.

It's NI that I'm seriously considering, actually. Apart from the immediate ones, all my family is there and it's weirdly the place I've always felt happiest. I think I'd maybe start out in Belfast, and then try and move out to the countryside...I've even got an exact location in mind, which I'm trying to put out of my head. Hmm.

Wyetry - hello. :D That did help immensely, cheers me love, it's given me a lot to think about. I'm definitely a country gal at heart so somewhere like London would never be for me, though I can't deny the cultural advantages.

Andy, I think I want to get out of this country too...that's why Germany is so attractive. But it wouldn't exactly be plain sailing and I'll admit that that puts me off. /laziness :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's NI that I'm seriously considering, actually. Apart from the immediate ones, all my family is there and it's weirdly the place I've always felt happiest. I think I'd maybe start out in Belfast, and then try and move out to the countryside...I've even got an exact location in mind, which I'm trying to put out of my head. Hmm.

Oh YaY - That would be a fab if you did move here :D
    Where exactly you wanting to move then?
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    :grump:

I'd be quite happy to live in Edinburgh for the rest of my life. I love this city. It's the perfect size, it's got beautiful architecture and it just glows during the summer.

bloody cold in the winter though! :grump:
  • Options
    Where exactly you wanting to move then?

The other Newcastle :thumb:
  • Options
    home is where the heart is.
  • Options
    I will deffinatly be moving out of the mansfield area....i've lived in the same house all my life in a nice-ish area of a town thats been ignored since the pits closed....but it's going under massive redevelopment. I would miss it as i grew up here but i'd want a change of scene and i dislike most of the place. Ideally i'd like to move to a nice village/town in the countryside but not in the middle of nowhere and too far away from family. It all depends on what i'll be doing, and who i'm with though.
  • Options
    as much of a shithole this place is, espically the area im from, i dont think i could ever leave it

despise the place yet love it at the same time .. its so different than anywhere else!

but you never know! somewhere with bigger and better jobs is always desireable!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

get yourself a nice wee caravan :razz:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have settled down. It is not a place I went to uni or a place I grew up in. I grew up in the Highlands and there is nothing there. If you want to make anything for yourself you need to move away. Harsh, but true. I went to uni in Edinburgh and I loved it there. Would definitely live there again. I miss it.

I am now living in Sheffield and the main reason for this is simple. When I first met my husband he had already bought a house there. When I finished uni, it made much more sense for me to move here than for him to sell the house and move to Edinburgh.

I have settled down. I am quite happy being 'er indoors. We have our family of cats and we have each other. The only downside is that I am so far away from my parents, but realistically, no matter what happened, I would be far away from them.
  • Options
    im not really sure what im going to end up doing.. im currently studying in cardiff so i guess i might stay here. there is NO way that im going back to isle of man. too boring!! not enough job opportunities there.

although saying this, my dad is currently in the process of buying a house in the US (san diego/san fransisco area) so if that all goes through i plan on living over there for a while
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

So you can be close to the Mournes? :p

It's a nice wee town.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So you can be close to the Mournes? :p

Indeed, among other reasons. :)