Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Biggest Strike Since 1926?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As if anybody supporting this strike is intelligent enough to have an actual sustainable solution that doesn’t involve some imaginary magic pot of money or tired and discredited ‘tax the rich’ nonsense. (Believe it or not some of the left it seems still haven’t worked out that if you tax doctors at 95% they might move to Canada or Australia...Or if you tax millionaires similarly they’ll stash their riches offshore).

Anybody who doesn't like the rates of tax in this country is perfectly free to move to Canada or Australia, where they will encounter similar provisions for a welfare state and similar rates of tax, the tight bastards. Meanwhile, their place in this country will be taken by one of the very many highly qualified professionals from all around who wish to move to this country.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    The strikers have my full support - good to see not every worker in the country is willing to roll over and get fucked by the bosses!

So you think it's right that schools have closed for the day just so that the teachers can get better pension rights? :rolleyes: What about our education?
    Workers in the public sector already have it good compared to the private sector. Yet it’ll be low paid workers in the private sector that end up paying more taxes to further prop up the public sector if the strikers get their way…In the real world meanwhile there isn’t a bottomless pit of money, life expectancy is rising and it’s not unreasonable to retire at 65.

Most workers in the public sector already have their pensions deal protected - teachers, health workers, and the police. Why shouldn't council workers get the same deal as other public sector workers?
    Sofie wrote:
    So you think it's right that schools have closed for the day just so that the teachers can get better pension rights? :rolleyes: What about our education?

Education is evil and serves to further the interests of capital.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Anybody who doesn't like the rates of tax in this country is perfectly free to move to Canada or Australia, where they will encounter similar provisions for a welfare state and similar rates of tax, the tight bastards. Meanwhile, their place in this country will be taken by one of the very many highly qualified professionals from all around who wish to move to this country.

Why not just tax everyone 99% and give everyone a full pension at the age of 50?
    Sofie wrote:

That's not why the schools are closed for the day, the teachers already have their pension rights protected.

If the teachers *were* on strike for their pensions you ought to support them anyway - if you value your education, you should value the people providing it.
    Anybody who doesn't like the rates of tax in this country is perfectly free to move to Canada or Australia, where they will encounter similar provisions for a welfare state and similar rates of tax, the tight bastards.

What country?
    Meanwhile, their place in this country will be taken by one of the very many highly qualified professionals from all around who wish to move to this country.

Who won't pay much tax either because they can afford to look for loopholes.

Can I at this juncture point out the weapons and threats that taxation is based upon?

Moaning about the morality of the whole thing without acknowledging the armed robbery part seems a bit slipshod to me.
    klintock wrote:
    Can I at this juncture point out the weapons and threats that taxation is based upon?

Sure - you've already done it a thousand times, what's one more going to matter?
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why not just tax everyone 99% and give everyone a full pension at the age of 50?

Anybody out there who's spent their working life paying 99% tax on the understanding that they will retire at 50 should be allowed to do so. Nobody has.

The unions have agreed that things need to change eventually and have agreed that the retire at 60 deal should be phased out for new entrants to local council jobs - they just want people who signed up under the old deal to have what they were promised.
    Sure - you've already done it a thousand times, what's one more going to matter?

Good good. Just as long as you understand that your support for taxation means you have no moral grounds to talk about it whatsoever. No worries. :)

Can I ask why you do support threats, intimidation, theft and kidnapping?

Just a sociopath or easily bribable?
    I ain't biting today, klintock.

I find some of the things under discussion in this thread interesting, but I've heard enough about your ideas on taxation and government to last me a good long while.
    No ideas mate. I state facts.

I spend a lot of time just getting people to accept the basic facts of the situation.

Sadly we always get the same three and fourpence. i.e. what we should be spending our stolen money on, which really isn't an issue worth mentioning.
    How come you're always in politics & debate, instead of over in the sports forum killing threads about international sporting events? :p
    Yes go "engurlund" and so forth.

Bit pointless for me really, I know it's fictional. Can't get worked up about the actions of strangers that don't affect me.

I do apologise if I have shoved a half brick in front of your bike though. Carry on, I've said my piece.
    Is anyone else on the boards on strike today apart from me?
    bongbudda wrote:
    I can see why they are angry, and in many ways they have my sympathy, but at the same time we do have to consider where the hell the money is going to come from for all the old people.

I heard its going to be 1 over 65 year old to 4 workers soon, thats crazy, unless we start massively importing workers or culling old people something will have to change.

There's loads of money in the economy, its sloshing around parts of London. The problem is with the distribution of it.
    As if anybody supporting this strike is intelligent enough to have an actual sustainable solution that doesn’t involve some imaginary magic pot of money or tired and discredited ‘tax the rich’ nonsense. (Believe it or not some of the left it seems still haven’t worked out that if you tax doctors at 95% they might move to Canada or Australia...Or if you tax millionaires similarly they’ll stash their riches offshore).

Another tax band would be an idea.
    Workers in the public sector already have it good compared to the private sector.

That'll be cos it has stronger unions.
    Yet it’ll be low paid workers in the private sector that end up paying more taxes to further prop up the public sector if the strikers get their way

Why should it be that way? How about the bosses take a pay cut for a change?

…In the real world meanwhile there isn’t a bottomless pit of money, life expectancy is rising and it’s not unreasonable to retire at 65.

There's shit loads of money about. Its just distributed unfairly.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Education is evil and serves to further the interests of capital.

I've yet to see you make any sensible comment. Ever.

mob.gif

Outrageous! Skiver! Should be hung from lamppost! Sack the lot of them! Enjoying the day in the park! Waste of taxpayers' money etc etc! :mad:

:p
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've yet to see you make any sensible comment. Ever.

You forgot your [shitforbrains] [/shitforbrains] tags.
    Sofie wrote:

One day? To try and secure millions of people's futures? You can't begrudge that? Anyway, whats wrong with you? When teachers were on strike in the 80's when I was at school, we loved it, an extra day off.
    minimi38 wrote:
    You forgot your [shitforbrains] [/shitforbrains] tags.

Point proved I think.
    Blagsta wrote:
    When teachers were on strike in the 80's when I was at school, we loved it, an extra day off.

haha. an anarchist. Schools out maan lets go kick over a rubbish bin.
    Another tax band would be an idea.

Won't work.
    That'll be cos it has stronger unions.

It's because they don't have to do anything productive and have no accountability to their "customers." Also, they are more or less bribed into supporting the expansion of government power.
    Why should it be that way? How about the bosses take a pay cut for a change?

You have very strange logic mate. According to you bosses make their cash by exploiting their workers. If they have to make even more money then tht will just lead to heftier exploitation, surely to fuck?

(Not that your analysis is even vaguely accurate ofc)
    There's shit loads of money about. Its just distributed unfairly.

The only unfair thing about it is that you have to use only one kind. And that's got nothing to do with capital and everything to do with the government.
    minimi38 wrote:
    haha. an anarchist. Schools out maan lets go kick over a rubbish bin.

If you're not going to contribute to the thread then don't post at all. Thanks. :)
    bongbudda wrote:
    I can see why they are angry, and in many ways they have my sympathy, but at the same time we do have to consider where the hell the money is going to come from for all the old people.

I don't think many people do see why local government employees are angry.

NHS staff keep their pensions at 60.
    Civil Service staff keep their pensions at 60.
    Police and fire officers keep their pensions at 60.
    Local Government staff get their pensions at 60 taken off them.

It has nothing to do with paying for it, and everything to do with the government targeting what they perceive to be a soft target. The government has made everyone angry with local government by destroying its budget and its autonomy. If nurses started whingeing about their pensions we'd have thousands of media articles about the "poor nurses" who "care for this country".

The government has callously attacked a group it thought weak, and that group has stood up and told them to fuck off.
    Government made a promise.

They should meet it, same as anyone else.
    klintock wrote:
    Government made a promise.

They should meet it, same as anyone else.

Well exactly.

At least you can rely on Sir Digby Jones, fat cat cunt leader of the CBI (a fat cat cunt cabal) to denounce the strikers as "disgraceful" for daring to demand something that they've been promised, and all other public sector workers have been guaranteed.

Still, a Government breaking its promises to the weakest in society? They never do that, do they? It makes such a change, doesn't it, the Government and CBI victimising and bullying low-paid women workers.
    Kermit wrote:
    They are completely right.

It isn't that they have to work longer as such- it's that they were promised one thing, signed up to it, paid their money in, only for it to be snatched out of their hands when they come to claim it.

They have my full support, even though it is going to grind Tyne and Wear to a halt tomorrow. We still have an underground system owned and operated by local government for the benefit of all, so we have no Metro tomorrow.

It is everything to do with capitalism, really. Simplistic but accurate.
    I was listening to Radio 2 traffic this morning and for once London seemed to be working better than anywhere else... now, I understand!

It does make perfect sense. It seems odd to me that in a country so reluctant to strike it still has next to no impact when we do. The AUT / NAFTE strike a couple of weeks ago seems to have achieved f*** all except a few pissed off students.
    I'm lazing around the library "doing Greek", does that count?