Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Its all going tits up, surprise, surprise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
United’s Commercial Director and Glazer toady Andy Anson has seemingly failed to deliver a shirt sponsor for next season.

FC United decided on principle last week not to have a sponsor on the club shirts and United may well follow suit through a mixture of Anson’s incompetence and the commercial world’s reluctance to pay over the odds for the privilege of sponsoring United’s uncertain future.

A lucrative shirt sponsorship deal would go a long way to easing the Glazer’s debt worries and Anson has cockily predicted that he has a host of companies lining up to take the place of Vodafone but with time fast running out a new sponsor has yet to be found.

From The Independent:

‘Don't bet your shirt on Man Utd finding a sponsor for next season

Already massively indebted, Manchester United faces the prospect of starting next season without a shirt sponsor.

Football clubs have a tight timetable when negotiating with sponsors, usually needing to agree a deal by the end of March at the latest to give kit firms time to produce the replica strips.

"If you are West Brom, you don't have to produce as many shirts as Man Utd," said one industry expert. "There's more pressure for them and the end of March is pretty tight. The number of people that wear their shirts is just huge compared to everyone else."

A shirt sponsor is usually a club's most lucrative commercial deal. Chelsea recently signed an £11m-a-year contract with Samsung, while Arsenal's deal with Emirates, which includes naming the club's new stadium after the airline, is understood to be worth a total of £100m.

But it is understood that the club is prepared, if necessary, for its players' shirts to be logo-free. "The team will go out without any sponsor if the right deal cannot be found," said a source close to Man Utd.

"It's about building a strong relationship. If they don't find a suitable sponsor, they don't find a suitable sponsor."

A Glazer family spokesman said they were "confident of a positive outcome".

"Manchester United are actively searching for a new shirt-sponsor deal and an announcement will be made when that's in place," he said. "But there's no issue about timing. The only imperative is that we get the right sponsorship partner."’

I am sure there are many people enjoying all this, but be careful, your next :yes:

Footballs dead.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Roll on Skoda :)
  • Options
    United will find a sponsor eventually, mark my words.
  • Options
    They'll find a sponsor, but I wouldn't be worried if they didn't.

Barcelona manage fine without one.
  • Options
    Barcelona is a different story, the club is set up for the fans. We are seen as customers, but we can't 'shop' anywhere else.

I hope they don't get anyone, the only way forward is for Glazer and United to bankrupt so somebody can come in and give the club back to whom it belongs. Long shot though.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I hope they don't get anyone, the only way forward is for Glazer and United to bankrupt so somebody can come in and give the club back to whom it belongs. Long shot though.
    The only way forward is for fans like you to get a grip and get behind the new owners IMO.
  • Options
    I've got a grip mate, I know there is no chance, we lost.

I'll never support them.
  • Options
    The only way forward is for fans like you to get a grip and get behind the new owners IMO.

Bollocks.

When you know your club's owners have an agenda of milking the cash cow till its dry, and they don't even pretend to hide it, the last thing you do is sit on your hands and keep handing over the readies.

The problem is that Man United's anger is misplaced in being directed towards Glazer. The cash cow was sold off piece by piece twenty years ago, the man ManUtd fans should be abusing is Martin Edwards. Edwards is certainly the reason everyone else hates the club.

Football clubs should be for the fans, and in the Premiershit the simple fact is that few of them are. the ones that are, like Boro, are because the chairman is a fan not a suit.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I've got a grip mate, I know there is no chance, we lost.

I'll never support them.
    If you'll never support them then why go on about it. Go put all your efforts and money into FC United.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bollocks.

When you know your club's owners have an agenda of milking the cash cow till its dry, and they don't even pretend to hide it, the last thing you do is sit on your hands and keep handing over the readies.
    I don't read up on Man U but as far as i'm aware they seem to be running the club ok. They have put money forward for signings and are promising to do so again. Chelsea have taken it a step further now and basically made the premiership a one horse race this season but Man U are in second and seem to be getting stronger and with some midfield signings could possibly challenge for the title next year. As long as the Glazers keep putting the funds into the squad and Man U keep on winning things I don't see any reason why anybody should be against the Glazers.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bollocks.

The problem is that Man United's anger is misplaced in being directed towards Glazer. The cash cow was sold off piece by piece twenty years ago, the man ManUtd fans should be abusing is Martin Edwards. Edwards is certainly the reason everyone else hates the club.

Football clubs should be for the fans, and in the Premiershit the simple fact is that few of them are. the ones that are, like Boro, are because the chairman is a fan not a suit.

It started by floating the club on the stock exchange, needed the money to re-develop United Rd/north stand so we did gain in some ways. Edwards has walked off into the sunset with his millions now, but I would rather he was in charge than this lot.

Football clubs should be for the fans but I feel thats gone forever.
    If you'll never support them then why go on about it. Go put all your efforts and money into FC United.

Your suggesting I should just forget about it, 130 years of history isn't easily forgotten.
    I don't read up on Man U but as far as i'm aware they seem to be running the club ok.

What the fuck? The clubs now around £400m in debt, they're struggling to sell the new exec boxes, last week they knocked £50k off the asking price. They don't have a clue what they're doing.
  • Options
    Were any of you complaining when being a 'corporate club' that doesn't give a shit about the fans was winning you everything in sight for about 10 years? Forgive me if I don't cry myself to sleep tonight.
  • Options
    Were any of you complaining when being a 'corporate club' that doesn't give a shit about the fans was winning you everything in sight for about 10 years? Forgive me if I don't cry myself to sleep tonight.

Yes some of us were actually, we could see this happening. The old powers were always trying to fuck us off one way or another.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    What the fuck? The clubs now around £400m in debt, they're struggling to sell the new exec boxes, last week they knocked £50k off the asking price. They don't have a clue what they're doing.
    Well am no business man or anything but I realise the club is in £400m in debt but if the glazers own this then this is there debt also. Surely they will be trying to get rid of that debt for their own sakes aswell as the business (club).

So their experimenting with new exec boxes?? trying to raise money to not only take away some of the debt but to also pump money into the squad. Fair enough it hasn't worked out as they planned but things don't always go to plan in business, I know that at least.

They seem to run the American Football club successfully, this is their adventure into Premier football with one of the biggest clubs in the country, only time will tell but am certain they will be trying their hardest to make this a successfull adventure, not only in terms of money but in terms of success on the field.

Lets say the next ten years Man U won numerous premiership titles, a few FA cups, few Carling Cups and maybe even sneak in with another Champions League winners medal. Would you still be complaining???
  • Options
    Lets say the next ten years Man U won numerous premiership titles, a few FA cups, few Carling Cups and maybe even sneak in with another Champions League winners medal. Would you still be complaining???

Winning things isn't the problem, the Glazers don't have a clue about football, when next seasons ticket prices are announced on 10th Arpril I suspect that myself and others will be priced out of watching OUR team. This will pave the way to pack a few more daytrippers into OT to go spend money on the vast range of shite available in the megastore (thats the idea anyway). Its a complete disaster for United, when are the people with power in football going to realise that fucking your hardcore support off is a very bad idea. Glory hunters don't hang around when your not winning, there have been empty seats at OT for nearly every game this season.

They are going to run United into the ground, cunts.
  • Options
    People like the Glazers are simply bad news for football and especially for the clubs they own. Football clubs should be run by and for the fans, not as a commercial enterprise.

It is in the interest of everyone, not just United supporters, that such types are forced out and made unwelcome at any football club.

The more I look at the current state of affairs the happier I am I support a non-league club.
  • Options
    Quite a few thousand people have being priced out of Elland Road by the price hike by Ken Bates, I personally can rarely afford to go watch MY club as I have a mortgage and bills to think about. But I'm still all for Bates coming in and saving MY club from going bust.

Different situation I know but if by putting the ticket prices up it helps the club build a squad of players that can do things then I personally wouldn't complain. I know this shouldn't be the case with Man U though cos they should be a very rich club and now they aren't so I can see why your pissed off if you can't afford to re-new your season ticket.
  • Options
    That's a massive difference through. Leeds Utd. might have needed saving but Man U wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination. It was until very recently the richest club on earth. Now it leads from the other end of the financial table, as far as debts are concerned anyway.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    People like the Glazers are simply bad news for football and especially for the clubs they own. Football clubs should be run by and for the fans, not as a commercial enterprise.

But Manchester United has been run as a commercial enterprise for twenty years now, its not something that the bogeyman Glazer has instigated. Edwards is where the real problem is- he's got his money from selling the family silver, he's happy, fuck the club and fuck the fans.

Glazer isn't "bad news for football"- the spate of floatations on the stock exchange is what has done the damage. The clubs that have maintained some link to their roots- Arsenal, Liverpool, Middlesbrough- are the ones that have never been listed.
  • Options
    Arsenal maintaining a link to their roots :lol:, they've always played at Emirates Stadium haven't they, they're just as bad as everyone else.

Glazer is bad news for football, its a sign that the game as we knew it has gone forever.

Those of you who sat back and enjoyed football becoming commercial, more women and kids at matches etc enjoy paying over the odds prices for tickets and what you laughingly call atmosphere. Every time I go to a game its getting more and more like a Baseball match, so much so I've started to think I'd rather watch in the pub where I'm not a minority.

Kermit, Edwards has been a hate figure for United fans for years, we knew he was only intrested in lining his own pocket and he does take a large portion of the blame.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    Arsenal maintaining a link to their roots :lol:, they've always played at Emirates Stadium haven't they, they're just as bad as everyone else.

Pheh, they're better than a lot of clubs. At least they're privately owned, and not milking the cash cow excessively. Their neighbours at White Hart Lane are much worse.

ManYoo wouldn't still be at OT if there was no room to build a 75,000 seater stadium.
    Those of you who sat back and enjoyed football becoming commercial, more women and kids at matches

Nowt wrong with women and kids at matches. I'd rather be sat next to a woman than a 1980s hooligan.

The problem is they can't afford to come either. The biggest problem with atmosphere is the removal of standing areas- utterly ludicrous.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Pheh, they're better than a lot of clubs. At least they're privately owned, and not milking the cash cow excessively. Their neighbours at White Hart Lane are much worse.

Don't kid yourself, they don't have the fanbase, if they could they would. Ticket prices for their new stadium are going to be he most expensive in the country, according to rumours.
    The biggest problem with atmosphere is the removal of standing areas- utterly ludicrous.

I think its all part of the same problem.
  • Options
    I would add the creation of the Premiershit and the arrival of Sky television to football as factors.

Remember the days when 90% of kick offs (if not 100%) were at 3pm on a Saturday?

If there are 6 Premiership games starting at 3pm Saturday- or on a Saturday at all- nowadays you can count yourself lucky.
  • Options
    Too much football is shown on the telly now- witness the stupid FA Cup scheduling.

The Premiershit has destroyed the Football League, along with their chums at ITV- no, I haven't forgotten how much you love football, Carlton.

I think the wheels are creaking, they'll be falling off soon.
  • Options
    Have you heard of the G14's plans to install themselves permanently in the Champions League? :rolleyes: They have even 'hinted' at a breakaway European league if their wishes are not met.

For once however UEFA are showing a bit of backbone and have said if the G14 go ahead they will be kicked from all UEFA-regulated competitions, including their national leagues.

Even as an (increasingly desinterested) Real Madrid fan I wish the G14 would fuck off and take all the prawn sandwich hoardes with them. I think every single league in Europe would benefit from those clubs' departure.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be sad if they did create their own league. I think it would flop very quickly- most football fans would still rather watch the domestic league.
  • Options
    130 years of history doesn't appear enough though Godscop. Seems to me like you are letting one man be bigger than the club. The one guarantee I have for you is that if the fans don't stay behind the culb then it will die. That simple.

I dopn't like the Glazers, I don't like the way they funded the purchase and I don't like the fact that they won.

But they did and the fans can only work with the hand we have been dealt. We can either support the club until the Glazers move on, or watch it die.

130 years of history. As far as I am concerned that is more important than hating some yank.
  • Options
    But they did and the fans can only work with the hand we have been dealt. We can either support the club until the Glazers move on, or watch it die.
    Think this is what I was trying to say :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I agree wih this. But as MoK has said the history of the cub should be more important than hating the person in charge.

Owners will probably come and go, but the club will probably always exist. I'm not going to jump ship everytime a new owner comes along who I don't like.

All aside, the Glazers haven't crippled the club so far like so many had feared (hoped) so I'm not concerned at present. In some ways it's better having the yanks in charge as opposed to a sugar daddy, because at least any success that we may have will be that bit more credible.
  • Options
    Lets get one thing straight, I will always be United regardless of anything.

Its just I don't like the way footballs going and I don't like my club being a rich mans toy.

On the subject of prices, Chelsea away? £80 ffs
  • Options
    A slightly different example but could be tied into the Glazers motives, my club Brighton were brought for one pound by a certain Bill Archer A businessman that took over Brighton & Hove Albion football club for £56.25 and realised a considerable profit by selling on the Club's football ground — the Goldstone Ground — to Chartwell Land, a property development company. This was, done behind the fans back and since then it is written into our club charter that one person will never be able to have sole ownership of our club we have not recovered to this day. Archer is now arguably one of the least popular men in Sussex because of this. He was recently 300 and something in the times rich list. We recieved a hell of a lot of publicity on our protests but the same as man u there was nothing that could be done. The only way the fans at manchester united which is a much bigger platform obviously is to vote with there feet by boycotting the owners not the team and its players, we done this by going to games and walking out with ten minutes to go this was a move that was very controversial with some fans as they didn't want to be seen to be boycotting the team. He won at the end of the day and even now a new ground is no closer. And certain relagation this season. Oh well live as an albion fan is never boring as 7 consecutive promotions or relegations will testify.