Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help me solve one mystery, please

We allegedly live in a 24-hour society. Money exchanges hands at all times of every single day, whether it be 1pm on a Monday or 11pm on a Wednesday. Loads of shops now extend their opening hours to increase their business. So why do the banks still only open for 7 hours (if you're lucky) a day from Monday to Friday, and never on weekends/bank holidays?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My bank drives me insane. It is the only branch for a few miles and only open 9.30-4.00. If you work how are you supposed to get there?!
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    My bank drives me insane. It is the only branch for a few miles and only open 9.30-4.00. If you work how are you supposed to get there?!
    That's exactly what I mean. Loads of people work from 9-5 still in this country. Yet banks only open 9.30am - 4.30pm at the most. Even less in some places, where some branches only open in mornings. Don't people need to use banks on Saturdays or at evenings? I'm not saying banks should be open 24 hours a day but why such short opening hours?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Because they are a bunch of useless overpaid money making cunts. Opening branches for longer would cut profits as they'd have to pay staff longer etc.
  • Options
    Maybe they want everyone to go online.
  • Options
    Maybe they want everyone to go online.

You took the words out my mouth lol
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    You took the words out my mouth lol

If that is the case, why when i have internet and telephone banking do I have to go into a branch to reduce an overdraft and other simple matters?!
  • Options
    Banks have weird ways of working. No documents can be ordered after 11, mail deadlines at 2 in the afternoon........I could go on......
  • Options
    to be honest id rather my bank be open at 9 and shut at 2, rather than not been open at all, at least i have my internet banking which is just mint anyway
  • Options
    Totally agree. For me to get to the bank is near impossible as there is not a Nationwide where I work. I'm not going to change banks as I have never had a single problem with them. I use online banking but that doesn't really help when you need to pay a cheque is does it
  • Options
    im with barclays and it opens on a saturday here so i dont have many problems when i need to actually see someone. i actually thought most banks opened saturdays now, even if it is only half day.
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time I actually went IN a bank to do some banking.

(althoug I did pick up a new card there, as it was quicker than getting it sent to my home address)
  • Options
    some open on a saturday morning.

and there are things called atms.
  • Options
    If you dont like your bank bloody change! You know you're more likely to be arrested than change banks.

All the telephone and internet ones have better service than the big names. I'd highly recommend First Direct but I think you have to have an income to get an account with them.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Because they are a bunch of useless overpaid money making cunts. Opening branches for longer would cut profits as they'd have to pay staff longer etc.

Exactly, I fucking hate banks.
  • Options
    my bank is open 9-5 in the week, but is also open on a saturday from something like 9.30 till 3

i like my bank :D
  • Options
    barclays