Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

So what exactly would you be prepared to die for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from the thread on whether to pardon those 1st World War soldiers for cowardice, it seems that some posters feel that they may have got their just desserts for not having become conscientious objectors in the first place. Certainly, the soldiers in the 2nd WW would have been aware of the 'horrors' of the last war yet most people still went to war regardless. There was no illusion this time as there had been in 1914. Was this because they felt that a war against Nazi Germany was a just reason to fight? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

But under what conditions would YOU go to war? Or would you never under any circumstances?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never, ever would you get me into an army.

I'd fight and die for the right not to be put in one.
    If I was in a situation like being in London during the Blitz, I'd probably figure I'd might as well go to war and take my chances rather than sit around waiting to be hit by a bomb.
    I'd be prepared to die to protect my loved ones.

And in the right circumstances that might include fighting in a war. WWII, or in my case the Civil War in Spain would have been valid reasons.

But I would not be prepared to die being just a pawn in a little war game by governments that are only interested in furthering their geopolitical ambitions or securing cheap sources of energy.

I feel despair for Allied soldiers, especially the Americans, who joined the army on the promise of defending and protecting their nation and ended up giving their lives so their evil, greedy scumbag leaders can make even more money and push forward their deluded world visions.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am prepared to die for my country (provided I feel enough loyalty to the leaders and their views, I may even go to war when my country is not at threat), my freinds, my family, and my beleifs.
    On my own native soil in defence of my loved ones I would fight. Never for corporate hegemony and neo-colonialistic greed and powermongering in someone else's native country.
    klintock wrote:
    I'd fight and die for the right not to be put in one.

But is that not essentially an army - even if just an army of one? You are still bearing arms against other people.
    But is that not essentially an army - even if just an army of one? You are still bearing arms against other people.

No. It's me trying to kill those who would control me through fiction and force.

Armies don't exist, just people who think they do.
    klintock wrote:
    No. It's me trying to kill those who would control me through fiction and force.

:rolleyes:

Myself, i really don't know what I would fight for. I'd hope i would never have to to be honest.
    I would fight and die to protect those around me and myself.

I would have joined up to fight in World War 2, a justified war to stop a greater and evil threat to the world. Same with fighting the Japanese Empire expansion in World War 2.

Would i join the army now? Nope! Would i flee to Canada? Yes!
    Why? Because i do not believe in the wars that are been waged now. Or in the Governments that wage them. i feel no loyalty to Blair or his government or to Bush and the Americans.

I would fight and go to war to defend the principles of my Nation but not to defend the government of my nation, if that makes sense.

I would fight for a cause i believed in too.
    I would fight and die for my family and other loved ones. If where I lived was about to be attacked, I'd fight, I wouldn't fight "pre-em,ptive" attacks such as the bollocks war in Iraq.

I wouldn't fight and die for any other reason.
    Rather make the other bastard die for his country (paraphrasing Patton)
    klintock wrote:
    It's me trying to kill those who would control me through fiction and force.

So if your location was invaded by an 'army', you wouldn't fight them because they don't 'exist'?

And neither would you resist that 'army' because, as long as their attempt to control your life did not include conscripting you, that would be ok?
    So if your location was invaded by an 'army', you wouldn't fight them because they don't 'exist'?

I would be fighting individual men and women who hold a crackpot belief that wearing similar outfits makes you part of something larger. So I wouldn't be fighting an "army" i would be fighting individuals who thought there was.

There are only ever individual men and women.
    And neither would you resist that 'army' because, as long as their attempt to control your life did not include conscripting you, that would be ok?

This doesn't make sense to me sorry.
    klintock wrote:
    I would be fighting individual men and women who hold a crackpot belief that wearing similar outfits makes you part of something larger. So I wouldn't be fighting an "army" i would be fighting individuals who thought there was.

There are only ever individual men and women.

Ah, I am getting what you are saying now ...

And it's fair enough. :)

klintock wrote:
    This doesn't make sense to me sorry.

Ok - I will try again. :)

What if an 'army' (made up of like-minded and probably deluded individuals) invaded your country and were going to change the nature of your life to your detriment ... would you fight them alone? Or would you join others in that fight against them - thus becoming a member of an 'army' yourself?

Isn't an army just a collective name for a number of individuals seeking the same end (whether right or wrong)?
    What if an 'army' (made up of like-minded and probably deluded individuals) invaded your country and were going to change the nature of your life to your detriment ... would you fight them alone? Or would you join others in that fight against them - thus becoming a member of an 'army' yourself?

Depends on my chances for success and the extent to which my life would be changed. If we were going to have a different set of lunatic beliefs enforced then really as far as I am concerned nothing much has changed.

If my economic circumstances were going to be effected to any great extent and there was no other way out then probably yes i would join with others. the chances of me dropping my free will and judgement to someone elses orders is close to nil still.

I'd also almost certainly wind up fighting that army as well once it had won, if I saw a chance to end the whole process of swapping bosses for something freer.
    Isn't an army just a collective name for a number of individuals seeking the same end (whether right or wrong)?

Yep, but with two crucial extra elements - the loss of individual judgement to command structure and the inability to leave it at any moment.

I am pretty simple. I don't mind much as long as the option to say "no" and go do something else whenever I fancy is present.
    That's cool. :)

I'm not sure how feasible it would all be in the 'real' world should anything like that happen but I understand your sentiments ... :thumb:
    Oh christ, ofc it's completely unfeasible.

Freedom isn't an achievable goal really, it's more a star to steer by.
    Kermit wrote:
    I would fight and die for my family and other loved ones. If where I lived was about to be attacked, I'd fight, I wouldn't fight "pre-em,ptive" attacks such as the bollocks war in Iraq.

I wouldn't fight and die for any other reason.

same, but i dont think theyd ask me. Im a bit of a wuss.
    i would fight to the death to protect my freedom,way of life and my family.
    your all dying for what you believe in right now.
    your also making sure your children die for what you believe in ...

greed.
    I'll die for my family and no one else.
    your all dying for what you believe in right now.
    your also making sure your children die for what you believe in ...

greed.

We are all dying and doomed... Beliefs have nothing to do with it...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd be prepared to die to protect my loved ones.

:yes:

And that's it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Dying to protect my way of life would be a bit counter-productive.
    Dying to protect my way of life would be a bit counter-productive.

Your an undertaker?
    klintock wrote:
    Your an undertaker?

Nope.
    We are all dying and doomed... Beliefs have nothing to do with it...
    let me rephrase that.
    your dying ...more like killing yourselves and everyone around you ...plus the entire eco system your children will not be able to depend on ...cos of greed.
    let me rephrase that.
    your dying ...more like killing yourselves and everyone around you ...plus the entire eco system your children will not be able to depend on ...cos of greed.

Much better rephrased, that I agree with...
    let me rephrase that.
    its too late though isnt it? what can we do?