Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Like to write?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would any of you like to write as you get older?

I'm not exactly sure what about, whether its your personal experiences or a novel based upon them? Or maybe you'd like to teach what you do through a book?

I'd personally like to teach my work if I get to where I want to be, but i'd also like to write a biography about my experience and view on life. Dont know how many wud be interested in that though :chin:

Comments

• Options
    i have tried and failed and tried again.
    i have a lot i want to say.
    one day maybe.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    i have tried and failed and tried again.
    i have a lot i want to say.
    one day maybe.
    I'd buy it if you wrote it.

I have no doubt it'd be quite an awesome book.
  • Options
    All my career plans involve writing. I'm a bit good, aparently :blush:
  • Options
    I do enjoy writing, I do quite a fair amount of that. As for the future, some people have told me I could write an amazing book. Let's just say it could be a while before I make my millions from a book.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I do enjoy writing, I do quite a fair amount of that. As for the future, some people have told me I could write an amazing book. Let's just say it could be a while before I make my millions from a book.

What would you write about then>
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    What would you write about then>
    One told me to write about my "personal experiences". I don't think I have enough to fill a book.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    One told me to write about my "personal experiences". I don't think I have enough to fill a book.
    i have enogh but ...the putting of it any meaningful order ...and which bits go in and which bits don't ...is always very confusing for me ...very difficult.
    plus i have to remember the old adage of some names have been changed to protect the guilty.
  • Options
    i have enogh but ...the putting of it any meaningful order ...and which bits go in and which bits don't ...is always very confusing for me ...very difficult.
    I have enough difficulty shortening my LiveJournal entries, so how on earth I'd shorten a book, I don't know.
  • Options
    I wrote a novel length piece when I was 14/15. I said I would, so I did. =)
    But yeah... I write all the time.

I got a Deviant Art account. My username is SubtleMelodrama if anyone wants to check it out...
  • Options
    plus i have to remember the old adage of some names have been changed to protect the guilty.

so your life would come out like a real life adaptation of harry potter, forever waiting for the next chapter
  • Options
    I'd love to write a book. I reckon I have the writing skills to do it, but I have no characters, no plot and no imagination so it probably won't happen!
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I wrote a novel length piece when I was 14/15. I said I would, so I did.
    I remember back in Year 9 at school, we were asked in Welsh classes to write a novel. I wrote one about a bloke called Simon and his days in a college. It was the worst thing I've ever written...
  • Options
    one of my reasons for using this place is ...to learn to type ...i'm good enough nearly.
    to write off the top of my head if something springs a memory or experience and to get discipline ...not working.
    and to stop procastinating ...procrastinate4nr.gif
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I could probably write something.

I just dont want to really ;p
  • Options
    I'd love to write a book about my experiences, loves, like and mistakes, i'll give it some serious thought now as this is the second time i've discussed it the past few hours.

It might be an omen
  • Options
    I don't have the motivation, nor the creative ability.
  • Options
    i used to have a book in me, but i did a writing degree and now write for a living, so there's a good chance it burned out a while back.

maybe one day. my mum and aunts wanted me to write my grandma's life story, cause she was so interesting, but we never got round to recording her tales before she died. i did manage to squeeze one of my final year degree pieces out of it though, and she helped me get an awesome mark :thumb:
  • Options
    I just love writing. It's something I do all the time. Always have done. Thought to be honest, I've been focusing more on poetry recently. A year ago I'd never written a poem in my life!
  • Options
    I'd love to write, it's something i really enjoy. It's one of my ambitions to get an article published. But not about myself ... :p I'd like to become a freelance magazine journalist... i'd write about anything but i want to write about music. I'll probably end up in a 9-5 though. :p
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I'll probably end up in a 9-5 though. :p

there are 9-5 writing jobs :yes:

they're more reliable than novel writing or freelancing too. only about 1% of all novels sent to publishers ever even get a second look. this publishing lady told us that in our final year at uni, and we were all like 'great. so we've been doing this three years because...?'
  • Options
    I'd like to write something but i dont have it in me, im more of an art person an express myself through painting.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there are 9-5 writing jobs :yes:

they're more reliable than novel writing or freelancing too. only about 1% of all novels sent to publishers ever even get a second look. this publishing lady told us that in our final year at uni, and we were all like 'great. so we've been doing this three years because...?'

It makes sense though
  • Options
    I'd love to write. I have problems with finding enough words sometimes though, concise could be my middle name. But then again, I have only ever tried writing non-fiction stuff like essays.
  • Options
    I used to wrote poetry when I was 14 to 18 years old.
    Would like to write a book based on facts of my life some day.
    Co-writting a development manual this year, but that's for work.
  • Options
    I'm about a quarter of a way (I think..) into a book, which I started when I was 18.

It's a definite "work in progress" though, as I haven't gone back to it in over 6 months. It's funny in that it's kind of taken on a life of its own, as the story hasn't gone (so far) exactly how I'd imagined. It's not bad, though..

That said, I don't think I've got the "killer" (not the right word, but..) instinct or confidence that I think must be necessary in order to get your work published/printed over that of thousands of others. I mean, I know at least a dozen people who are currently writing their magnum opus and I have to wonder just how many of those will ever hit the bookshelves.
  • Options
    My big problem is that I have such a weird sense of humour and a weird imagination that not many people "get" what I write. That and having zero confidence in myself or my abilities. Add in zero motivation and it's looking less and less likely that I'll even start writing, let alone finish anything.

Am I the only person who isn't out to create a vast world changing book? I just want to write off-beat, stupid, sci-fi comedy crap.......
  • Options
    I have for a long time contemplated whether I am eligible for this career. My lack of imagination and impatience are probably the only factors which prevent me from starting writing today.

And no, I won't write - I think.

We'll just have to see, won't we?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you guys seen the writing zone on Channel 4's Ideas Factory - some of you might find it interesting :thumb:
  • Options
    I would definitely like to write a book someday. Or poetry. I used to be in a literary workshop in school, and I used to write a lot of poetry and short stories. I really think I've got good writing skills, I even won a prize once :D ! But ever since I entered uni I abandoned my writing... Now that i've left uni I should pick it up again...

Although, what I would really like to write is a script for a film. Heck, i would love to direct a movie one day! Maybe in my next life I'll make films..
  • Options
    Your first chance to get published might be right here on TheSite.

We're always looking for people to write for us - rants, diaries, true stories... so if you think you're pretty special or you have a strong opinion you want to air drop us a line!

Here's some more info:

Write for TheSite

:)