Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Minimum wage - Can they do this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I turned 21 last August but I'm still getting paid £4.25 an hour.
When I asked my boss about this they gave me a letter saying that the £4.25 wage was for 21 and under so they could pay me £4.25 an hour up until the day before my 22nd birthday and still be within their rights.
I asked around and a couple of people told me they were right and that it was up to the companies discretion.

I found out today that one of the girls that just started there is being paid £5.05 and she's only just turned 19! There's also a girl that's worked there for 3 years who is the same age as me. She's also getting £5.05.

Surely that can't be fair? Can they actually pay me less and give me the excuse of age when the other girls my age and younger are getting the over 21 wage?

I've been working there for almost 10 months and I turned 21 3 months after I started. I'm contract for 8 hours but I'm on the rota for 16 hours (4 hours a day, 4 days a week) but depending on how busy it is I'm there anywhere from 2 - 6 hours a day and called in if I'm not busy when people are off.

I'm planning on going to see about it when I'm back in on Friday but I don't want to go into the office and have them fob me off with more excuses so I want to know the facts before I go.

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep that's legal. They minimum wage goes up when you turn 22. I don't get the logic behind it myself. As for the other girls, they can pay people whatever they want, there's no rule saying that new employees must be payed according to age and experience. Bollocks, I know, but entirely legal.
    That's balls! :(
    Surely there's some human rights thing that says employees have to be paid the same thing for doing the same job regardless of if they're new employees or worked there for a while?!

I was talking to the girl whos the same age as me today and she said her wage went up everytime the minimum wage did and she got the over 21 wage her next pay after her 21st birthday.

It's like one rule for one person and a different rule for another.
    ring acas, they can advise you.
    that's a crap wage. i'm a checkout girl and get £1.61 an hour more than you. and i'm only 20.
    The bit about the minimum wage is right.

It is, however, illegal to pay different people different wages for the same job, if the people are at the same age and experience levels. In your case, they are.
    For anyone that cares...

I went to see my boss today and they're putting my wage up to £5.05 :)

I thought I was going to have to fight her as usual but, nope, she said "I'll get your wage put up because that's not fair."

I just stood with my mouth open thinking what did you do with my real boss?!?! :p
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Great news - well done for speaking up for yourself - what's the saying - if you don't ask you don't get!
    I suspect there are discrepancies in the way that wages are raised in accordance with minimum wage laws. Employers will use just about any possible loophole to ensure they don't have to pay more than absolutely necessary.
    I didn't realise that minimum wage was for 21 and over, I had always thought it was for over 18's. At the Co-op I was on £4.75 up until I was 18, and now I am on £5.21 (it's just gone up). I only found out that I was wrong when applying for a job in York and they told me otherwise. Which sucks!

Is there a minimum wage for 18 year olds? Or is it just 21+ ?
    Is there a minimum wage for 18 year olds? Or is it just 21+ ?
    Here's a present. Don't say I don't love you. :p

It changes again in October, but more at the time.
    Thank you :)
    I'm sticking with the Co-op! Mind you when I started I was on £3.73 an hour!
    Thank you :)
    I'm sticking with the Co-op! Mind you when I started I was on £3.73 an hour!
    I hope I get above minimum wage when I start back next week... I was for last September and October, despite my 21st not being until December.
    When are they paying your back pay?
    I was on £5.10 at the co-op but co-op sucks, both times I worked for them.

Least I've got was £2.50 an hour when I was 14 and working in a pub kitchen.
    klintock wrote:

If that's directed at me... I doubt I'll get any back pay. Would only be since new girl started which was 3 weeks ago so I'm not too bothered.

If it's not directed at me.... just ignore me :p
    klintock wrote:
    Whose back pay?
    Ah ok, np.

If it's only three weeks it's hardly worth making a fuss over.

Well, that's what I would be saying to them as they paid me it anyway.
    Well she is only there for another 3 - 4 months but it works out as over £400 extra in pay :D
    Think about changing your job!
    It seems like they don't want pay more and they just found an excuse for that. :(
    Btw changing jobs is the best way to increase your pay rate. Fact!
    As klintock says, be asking for backpay to cover the whole time your wage was illegally lower than that of your colleagues.