Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tell me why

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I saw alot of ugly stuff in Ireland. I remember a conversation where this guy from New Jersey told me, I think I need to raise my standard of ugly just to make it thru my trip. I agreed. As did the rest.

I saw knee high boots *over* pants. I saw I wanna be a glittery balleriana but not really shoes. Hoop earrings bigger than I've seen on any hooker. Big fake colored gaudy jewlery that my boyfriends 90 year old grandma got for christmas and loved. I saw 80s. Lots of 80s. I thought it was a universal agreement that although we can't make the 80s go away, it was promised on that it would never occur again. And worst of all. Even worse than when I saw the two girls walking down the street. One in an oversized red and white stiped sweater over red spadex with red heals and no socks with a three inch headband on and her friend wearing something equally as ugly. I saw a cumberbund. A cumberbund, people. Over a swearter.

What the fuck is wrong with you people. At first I thought, well maybe I'm just too conservative. Maybe just because I think all this stuff is blindingly ugly that obviously somebody likes it, yet I asked. I asked some british women and every american I met felt the same way. Gouge my eyes out. So tell me? Tell me.

And I know this is the perfect place to ask as I know some of you wear this god awful hideous nasty revolting shit. Absolute shit. And yes, I wear jeans and a t-shirt, feel free to tell me I'm an ugly scrub, I've heard it all from you people here before, but guess what, I dont wear a mans tuxedo piece over a sweater that my mom used to own.

Who out there prays to any available god that this way that people are dressing will be gone as quick as it came? About a month.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well, you only wear plain clothes so anything a bit more daring is going to seem ugly to you isn't it?
    Its not just me though, as I stated. Its most people I talked to.
    they drink a lot in ireland
    It can't be that bad. American people dress far too conservatively for me. Their idea of wearing rebellious clothes are ripped jeans and a Nirvana T-shirt. Whoop-de-doo :rolleyes: :p
    seeing everyone in jeans and tshirt would bore me to tears. I dont know about american fashion tbh, but i think some of the stuff youve described sounds nice (obviously depending on whos wearing it) not the big earrings tho :no:
    muse- wrote:
    they drink a lot in ireland

:lol: Can't argue with that!
    :lol:

The "homeless" look that's around at the moment is both hilarious and disturbing. I have to laugh (or I'll cry) when I see things on ebay etc with the strap line "hobo-look"... does that actually sell stuff to people?

People who, funnily enough, who would cross the road to ignore a "hobo" (that they're aspiring to look like) while pinching their nose.

I don't mind "fashion", trends or whatever - but I can't stand it when people follow it blindly...regardless or whether it suits them and/or looks fucking ridiculous.
    briggi wrote:
    I don't mind "fashion", trends or whatever - but I can't stand it when people follow it blindly...regardless or whether it suits them and/or looks fucking ridiculous.
    thats what bothers me too. Some things really suit some people and really dont suit others, but you still see everyone trying to follow the same fashion even when it blatantly looks shit on them.
    I'm really annoyed that the whole boots and jeans thing has become so fashionable as i've been doing it for about the last 4 years and now suddenly everyone is doing it and i feel like if i wear boots and jeans everyone will think i'm some weird fashion follower person (which i guess i might secretly be)....
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    And I know this is the perfect place to ask as I know some of you wear this god awful hideous nasty revolting shit. Absolute shit. And yes, I wear jeans and a t-shirt, feel free to tell me I'm an ugly scrub

I remember that pic you posted of yourself wearing that top. Still bitter about it? :lol:

They say Americans don't understand irony. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    People wear those fashions because they don't have a mind of their own. Instead they read magazines that have pictures of Sienna Miller walking round looking like a complete tramp and think she looks good and so go out of their way to copy her 'style'. People see something in a magazine and then go out and buy it because they've been told to.

Ilora x
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    People wear those fashions because they don't have a mind of their own. Instead they read magazines that have pictures of Sienna Miller walking round looking like a complete tramp and think she looks good and so go out of their way to copy her 'style'. People see something in a magazine and then go out and buy it because they've been told to.

Ilora x

The people that wear all black because they're 'being original' are the worst!
    Weekender Offender 

Ilora x

People might wear those fashions because they like them perhaps? Or because half the time there isn't much else in the shops.
    I never started wearing trackies because I saw them in a magazine or it was part of a chav look. It was comfortable to play football in the park with them on and I liked them so continue to wear them.
    I wear my boots over my jeans because it's practical. It keeps my feet dry and protects my jeans. If I were to wear my jeans over my boots, in the pouring rain, my feet would remain dry but my jeans would get scuffed due to being weakend and stretched by the rain.
    and er, if you wear your jeans over your boots- noone sees your beautiful boots!
    katralla wrote:
    and er, if you wear your jeans over your boots- noone sees your beautiful boots!
    trudat.

not that i wear boots over jeans. i save my boots for when im wearing a skirt.
    personal preference.
    i half agree with ilora, if a celebs wearing something you tend to get articles in mags saying ''how to get <insert name>s look for half the price'' and so on....
    but it doesn't mean they're all mindless, some people look good in high street fashion, some don't. Though i will say this.....only wear skinny jeans if you have the legs.... :yuck:
    briggi wrote:

:yes:

if you like something, and it suits you, wear it. this will be easier if it's in fashion, cause there'll be loads about. it's fair enough.

but just because they sell it in topshop does not mean it will definitely look good on you. for god's sake, look in a mirror before buying.
    Skive wrote:
    The people that wear all black because they're 'being original' are the worst!
    I hope you're not aiming that at me :chin: Because right now I'm wearing jeans and a jumper, neither of which, are black :p

Ilora x
    I like to follow fashion as much as i can but I'd enver wear something that didn't suit me just because it was in fashion.
    Oh and I don't wear awful looking things just because they're in fashion either.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jeans. T-Shirt. Leather. Trainers.

Sorted forever.
    I avoid fashion. In fact, I laugh at most of it :p
    No offense to anyone but I think a lot of it is ugly and ridiculous looking.

I'd rather stick with "boring" jeans and t-shirts anyday.
    haha - 'boring' t-shirt and jeans is bassically all i wear. I've never been in fashion. ever. :p
    Christ, they're clothes. Get over it. Not hurting you, are they? If someone wants to wear a cumberbund over a sweatshirt, let them! Who gives a flying crap if you think they look stupid? If the whole world thinks they look stupid?

They're clothes, it's fashion. You are not going to like everything that's out there. They think they look good - fair dues! They're happy. They might look dumb, but they're happy and confident. Yay for happy people, I say!

And I happen to think there are a lot of fashionable people here, thank you very much. *sniff*

Ilora x
    oh please, the 'im so individual' routine is very tiresome when you get past 15 years old.
    My god, you think our fashions are bad? You should see what they wear in Japan...

Shibuya_Street_Fashion09.jpg

jfashion05.jpg

01.jpg

d002.jpg

People over this side of the Atlantic ARE conservative compared to those lot...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    My god, you think our fashions are bad? You should see what they wear in Japan...

jfashion05.jpg

OMG THEY WEAR TRIPOD! EEVVVILLL!!!!!11!1one!

Yes, some people here are conservative compared. But some people here wear so mcuh worse stuff compared :(
    tbh i dont even mind the japan stuff.
    Id much rather see people being imaginative. Im not particularly adventurous when it comes to my own clothes anymore, but i used to be a lot more so, and I think its nice when people actually make an effort, expecially if they look a bit different.