Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any plumbers out there?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a problem with my combi boiler - at the moment I have no hot water or heating because the pilot light won't stay on. I'll fire it up and it'll do it's best to stay lit for about 10 seconds then it looks like it's being literally 'blown out' and once it's out completely, the button on the gas valve which I hold in to spark up the pilot light pops out with a 'clunk'.

I'll have to get a plumber out tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    I have a problem with my combi boiler - at the moment I have no hot water or heating because the pilot light won't stay on. I'll fire it up and it'll do it's best to stay lit for about 10 seconds then it looks like it's being literally 'blown out' and once it's out completely, the button on the gas valve which I hold in to spark up the pilot light pops out with a 'clunk'.

I'll have to get a plumber out tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?
    change that av ffs! its doin my head in.
  • Options
    Don't look at it then.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sounds broken.
  • Options
    I'd ask the resident plubmer for you, but it looks like hes on break right now.

say_no_to_crack.gif
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I'd ask the resident plubmer for you, but it looks like hes on break right now.

say_no_to_crack.gif

lmao :lol:
  • Options
    mario-golf1.jpg

His apprentice is out playing golf at the moment. He'll be in touch when he gets back.

Seriously... the safety valve has tripped. These things happen for a reason - wait for the plumber, and stop messing with the pilot light :).
  • Options
    Seriously... the safety valve has tripped. These things happen for a reason - wait for the plumber, and stop messing with the pilot light :).

Are you sure the valve I press in to get the pilot lit is a safety valve?

Thanks for the answer btw.
  • Options
    No, I'm not. Hence I'm not a plumber, and I advised you to just leave it alone ;).
  • Options
    I'm not going to potch about or anything, I was just after advice as to what might be causing the problem and how long it's likely going to leave me without warmth for.
  • Options
    sounds like your circuit boards gone
  • Options
    I'm the plumber, here to fill a dripping crack....*wah wah guitar*

The one in my house did the exact same thing. We checked for hours, looking for a draft or something that was blowing out the pilot light. I can't remember how it got fixed but I'm sure it needed a special part. Best left to the plumber tbh.
  • Options
    Don't look at it then.
    You sure know how to recruit help dont you.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well he wasn't exactly forthcoming with any offers of help, and I'm a believer in the adage of "either have a shit or get off the pot".
  • Options
    Well he wasn't exactly forthcoming with any offers of help, and I'm a believer in the adage of "either have a shit or get off the pot".
    i would'nt go for a shit in your house,i bet its fuckin freezing! :D
  • Options

I found a forum where you can ask professionals all kinda questions.

http://www.askthequestion.co.uk

There is a plumber section there where I asked about my toilet. I was fobbed off by a plumber who told me that that was what my toilet will do (It was kinda leaking into the bowl) and to accept it. But I checked with this site and they told me I was been spun shite and to call him back. Which I did and he's now fixed.

Not sure where abouts you are in the country but it might be worth getting out some kinda insurance on your boiler/central heating system. I've got insurance with Scottish Gas that costs about £8/month (Might be different for older systems) but it covers you for all breakdowns (Even if you take a radiator of the wall and make an arse of putting it back on as I found out :) ) and all labour/parts. And you get 2 checks a year. Well worth it in my books.

Good luck. Prepare yourself for the sharp intake of breath through teeth.

"Tssssssssssssss. That's gonna cost yah sunshine"
  • Options
    If you got enough gold coins .... this man'll do it for ya!

attachment.php?attachmentid=8214

:thumb:
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:
    If you got enough gold coins .... this man'll do it for ya!

attachment.php?attachmentid=8214

:thumb:

lol