Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Norman Kember is free

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote:
    To a pacifist, a military rescue would be unwelcome.

However it appears one of the ground rules for the operation was that it would be expected to avoid conflict, under those conditions it does become possible to thank those involved.
    But with all due respect, they did avoid conflict. The military got him out of there through the peaceful means that Kember so adores, not a single bullet was fired to get the hostages out of there. And still he refused to say thanks until shamed into doing so.
    i bet he can't wait for a bacon sandwich
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i bet he can't wait for a bacon sandwich
    Well, the military certainly saved his...
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But with all due respect, they did avoid conflict. The military got him out of there through the peaceful means that Kember so adores, not a single bullet was fired to get the hostages out of there. And still he refused to say thanks until shamed into doing so.
    or until he found out that it was one of the preconditions?
    Big Gay wrote:
    or until he found out that it was one of the preconditions?
    Would he rather have been killed by the people who captured him, like they killed the US reporter they took?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Would he rather have been killed by the people who captured him, like they killed the US reporter they took?
    He was aware of the risks when he went, and apparently said he didn't want a military rescue - so quite possibly. While death isn't an endearing prospect, intellectually I would rather I was killed than someone else was killed to rescue me.
    If the stupid people didn't go there to protest anyways, they wouldn't have been captured.
    They wouldn't have had to carry out the rescue operation.

Big deal he's free - welcome home.
    I have nothing but utter contempt for pacifists. Their position is completly immoral.
    I have nothing but utter contempt for pacifists. Their position is completly immoral.
    In what sense?
    In a city of pacifists 1 man with a knife could slaughter every one of them.

Pacifism is blind to the world.
    In a city of pacifists 1 man with a knife could slaughter every one of them.

Pacifism is blind to the world.
    :lol: .....thats a propper outlook you got there!
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    :lol: .....thats a propper outlook you got there!
    The Matadore could also be said to be blind to the world. ;)
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :D
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :lol:

So violence is the answer to anything?
    Renzo wrote:
    yes, violence.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:

Well, duh. What han't violence solved, after all? :p
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, duh. What han't violence solved, after all? :p
    Well, ask the Iraqis who are now dead as a result.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well, ask the Iraqis who are now dead as a result.

and what question would you ask the dead iraqi's

none, as you know, because they are dead

rhetoric questions are the most stupid things, they dont make you look big and clever, and i prefer that when we are talking about questions, we talk about ones that actually give answers
    MrG wrote:
    and what question would you ask the dead iraqi's

none, as you know, because they are dead

rhetoric questions are the most stupid things, they dont make you look big and clever, and i prefer that when we are talking about questions, we talk about ones that actually give answers
    Does anyone have a piece of chalk? Seriously, you're annoying me even more than usual today. My point is that violence in Iraq certainly isn't sorting matters out. But of course, that point is missed by someone more interested in making cheap jibes than in discussing the issue.

And while we're at it, learn how to use capital letters in your posts...

No and I didnt say that.

What I said was that pacifism is the answer to nothing .
    In a city full of pacifists there would be noone with a knife in the first place.

Anyway, I'm a pacifist in the sense that I don't agree with countries invading other countries but if someone tries to start on me, I'll have no problem in retaliating.
    ^ Oh the hilarity!
    turlough wrote:
    In a city full of pacifists there would be noone with a knife in the first place.
    Hang on... a world with no knives or anything that could be used to harm someone with violent means. Could such a thing really exist? If they banned knives, would that sort out the problem? No, of course it wouldn't. It's not the knife that's the problem, it's the person holding it.
    ^ Oh the hilarity!

How so?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Does anyone have a piece of chalk? Seriously, you're annoying me even more than usual today. My point is that violence in Iraq certainly isn't sorting matters out. But of course, that point is missed by someone more interested in making cheap jibes than in discussing the issue.

And while we're at it, learn how to use capital letters in your posts...

Also learn not to use the word "And" at the start of a sentence, and please also; can you stop annoying the hell out of us all, by stopping talking about things all over the board that contradict yourself, and you know not much about.
    MrG wrote:
    Also learn not to use the word "And" at the start of a sentence, and please also; can you stop annoying the hell out of us all, by stopping talking about things all over the board that contradict yourself, and you know not much about.
    Wow, you used two capital letters in a post. Not one, but two! I shall treasure this moment. I'm quite moved. :rolleyes:
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Wow, you used two capital letters in a post. Not one, but two! I shall treasure this moment. I'm quite moved. :rolleyes:

There you go again, side stepping the issue, and with humour worthwhile of a salesman selling sand to sahara desert dwelling africans

coopmain.jpg
    MrG wrote:
    There you go again, side stepping the issue, and with humour worthwhile of a salesman selling sand to sahara dessert dwelling africans
    What issue? We're meant to be talking about Norman Kember's release, whether peace campaigners should go into Iraq or not, why he didn't say thanks to the military sooner, on a wider scale our presence in Iraq as a whole, the increasing number of people being taken hostage... even a cretin like you can get your teeth into that.
    Can you pull each others hair in private please?

As funny as it is, I can hardly get any of my ideas about there not being a country in with all the handbags and scratching going on!