Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More of a sexuality type question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently I've realised I'm not that much of a man. I mean like, I'm not camp or anything, I just seem to get on well with friends who are girls. I have plenty of male friends too but I think I am too feminine. I'm physically strongish, and I like adventure, I go out to pubs, I drink beer etc. Which are stereotypical man type things to do. But when it comes to friends I seem to hang out with girls alot. This would be great, but they only see me as a friend and nothing else. Due to the fact I get too friendly with them.

I have pretty low self esteem atm and I generally look for other people to lead the way or dominate. In fact, even as far as sex goes, I prefer the woman to be in control. I don't know why. I would love to be but I get a bit worried that they will think im too bossy or up my own backside. I always consider what other people want before myself. Consequently not much goes my way. Does anyone have any tips to help me get my sexuality back? I know girls generally like to have a man who is in control, on the ball but not too over protective. Thats what I want to be. At least, thats what the girl is like who I am trying to move up to a relationship from friends.

Yeah, so any ideas?

Cheers,

Lawton.

Comments

• Options
    Just say what you want to say, and don;t be too scared to.

Nowt else to add really. Don't pretend to be someone you're not, but don't be someone you're not through fear either.

You sound insecure. That's where the problem is.
  • Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having a lot of female friends. Most people would probably kill to be in your shoes.

As for being a stereotypical man, do you really want to be like that? You know, all shouting and stepping on peoples feelings?

I doubt you've lost your sexuality, you seem pretty normal to me. I personally get very turned on by the thought of being dominated by a sexy woman.

Have you considered asking one of the other girls (that you really trust) to ask the one you fancy, whether she feels the same?

Its really hard to convince someone that they have a good thing going if they aren't happy. I think you have a lot going for you, but you need to focus less on your perceived faults, and more on your amazing ability to get on with the ladies
  • Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having a lot of female friends. Most people would probably kill to be in your shoes.

As for being a stereotypical man, do you really want to be like that? You know, all shouting and stepping on peoples feelings?

I doubt you've lost your sexuality, you seem pretty normal to me. I personally get very turned on by the thought of being dominated by a sexy woman.

Have you considered asking one of the other girls (that you really trust) to ask the one you fancy, whether she feels the same?

Its really hard to convince someone that they have a good thing going if they aren't happy. I think you have a lot going for you, but you need to focus less on your perceived faults, and more on your amazing ability to get on with the ladies

Completely off-topic, but your AV is the fucking shit. :D
  • Options
    Maybe stereotypical man was too plain. I just want to be viewed as a good guy to go out with and get into bed with. It sounds shallow, but I know I don't have a problem with entertaining girls humour wise and we always end up having fun. Being sexually attractive is the only problem. I can pull girls who I don't know. For example, I once was at a party and a girl I didn't know was there and we ended up sleeping together. I didn't have sex with her because I was too worried she would be like "fuck off", but it turns out she was upset because I didn't, I heard later from my friends. That gives me the impression that physically, I'm not revolting.

I just end up talking shit, unattractive shit too when I'm around girl friends. Like I end up talking about how constipated I was this morning or how smelly I am. It's odd but it gives laughs. I think its like getting laughs because I'm insecure.

I did ask (back in feb) the girl I liked. The dialogue went something like this:

"Hey, um, er, uh, recently I, um, realised I really quite, um, like you, is that ok?"

Short pause.

"I really like you too but you are like one of my best friends. I don't want to ruin it."

"Yeah good idea." - I didn't mean that bit but I didn't want to drag on.

Ahh tis fucked up. Thanks for all the help so far :)
  • Options
    There's definitely nothing wrong with having loads of female friends. Practically every one of my mates are women, and I wouldn't have it any other way, to be blunt about it. Being a stereotypical man is probably over-rated. Nothing wrong with drinking beer and watching football, but all the time, it just sounds mundane.

The only downside is it does make transitioning from friendship to relationship tricky. I've fancied a few of them before, but if I told them, I don't think they'd be too keen. Essentially, if they want something to happen, they'll make that pretty clear. You say that you "always consider what other people want before myself". Since when is that a bad thing? Frankly, I wish there were more people like that. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with your sexuality, no matter what any ignorant morons might think.

As for seeing what women think about a relationship, what I tried to do months and months ago was raise a hypothetical situation with a woman I worked with. Let me explain that... during a break, I was reading a newspaper. By some amazing coincidence, an article was in there about relationships being formed in the workplace. She came in, and I asked her about it. She sounded sceptical about the idea, but knowing her, she would have definitely gone away thinking "why did Danny ask me specifically about that? What was he implying?"... I suspect she got the hint I was making, and I didn't have to put her on the spot about it. Result!
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    I love the way people throw this at others so easily, most people who are insecure know it, infact, being insecure means you are aware of everything that could possibly be wrong with you, whether it is or not, so the statement is rather pointless.
    Do you have any advice on how to not be insecure? How to cure or improve it? Cos that's what I'd like to hear, from people such as yourself who are apparently not.
    You've got to remember at all times that Kermit is superhuman and immune to all the insecurities the rest of us have. :p

There is no "cure", in the conventional sense of the word. The truth is, I am beginning to suspect, that most "confident" people are faking it. In other words, giving the impression of confidence when they're shitting bricks like everyone else.
  • Options
    I've split this into two...
    kathryn wrote:
    (1) As for myself, i am a worrier, i worry about everything and my friends tell me all the time not to worry so much, that they don't....but how? How can you just stop doing something you always have?

(2) If someone is insecure are they stuck like that forever with the only option being to fake it and pretend they are fine? :(
    (1) Yes, I worry myself sick about almost everything as well. I've driven some people here completely up the wall over the last three months or so as I fretted over whether going to university was the right thing, etc, etc, etc...
    (2) I simply don't know the answer to that one.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    I love the way people throw this at others so easily, most people who are insecure know it, infact, being insecure means you are aware of everything that could possibly be wrong with you, whether it is or not, so the statement is rather pointless.
    Do you have any advice on how to not be insecure? How to cure or improve it? Cos that's what I'd like to hear, from people such as yourself who are apparently not.

I had a friend who was insecure, and he would not admit it. He always took loads of time over what he looked like and copied how people he thought were cool looked. He would pretend he did drugs to be *cool*, he would lie to be cool. That, in my eyes is insecure, but when I confronted him about it (he was being a dick to be popular) he would not admit it and got angry. The advice I gave him was to be himself, fuck what other people did. Unfortunatly he thought he was doing that already (he emulated fat mike, who he believed to be the biggest anarchist-punk in the world). I don't think everyone knows it. As far as a cure... nothing I can think of. Unless, im having a short lived brainwave here, something happens like if you are insecure because you want to be popular the most popular, best looking girl / boy asks you out and really likes you. That maybe would make you think I really am popular, I don't need to be something I'm not.

Sorry for mumbling.
  • Options
    well im just like you, neally except age difference, i get along with girls alot easyer then guys, although i do have lots of friends, people have questioned me in the past and ive always set them straight, Be who you are and like another post said many guys would love to be in your shoes, as for the dominating, im more of a dominater, But just be who you are and mabye, get one of the girls you trust, and ask about some of the stuff your questioning yourself with.

Like i said, be who you are, enjoy it!

Mabye, just mabye you could up the mark with the girls, start flirting chucking in the sourcey line here and there, its worked for me :naughty:

Good Luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    thing is, regardless of wether they are shitting themselves on the inside or not, someone who exerts confidence, can only be seen to be doing exactly that
  • Options
    I don't see what this has to do with 'sexuality' ... as mentioned before, it seems to be more about your insecurity and lack of confidence.
  • Options
    Aww, you sound so nice. As Teagan said, I don't think this really has anything to do with your sexuality. IMHO I think that it's ok to not want to be 'dominant' in a relationship or with friends, even if you are a bloke. Everyone's different, and my star sign says I'm dominant (which I'd say I am) and I'm a girl, so I guess it doesn't matter! Also, don't try and change who you are - I'm bisexual and I tried to change because I hated it at first, but then I realised that people CAN'T change, even if they try. And there is no need to, because people should accept you for who you are and if they don't, then they're not worth knowing. Sounds to me like you have lots of friends who do accept you for you, which is good. As previously mentioned, be yourself! :)
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    Recently I've realised I'm not that much of a man. I mean like, I'm not camp or anything, I just seem to get on well with friends who are girls. [...]

Yeah, so any ideas?

Cheers,

Lawton.

Well, ofc you can buckle up and show a bit more that who wears the breeches. Many girls don't like a b/f who orders them around, but at times they need someone to lean (not physical way) on and rely on. Never act like something what you ain't, tho. It appears pretentious and comes out wrong mostly.

Actually: I am very friendly with girls too. I am usually not the girls type either, so I don't know if you want to listen to my advice, but I usually want to know my g/fs before rather well. Saves inconveniences when they are a nut. It works out RARELY, but I make friends with girls first. Because of my demeanor and my interest to this person I listen to all they got to say and even enjoy what they are saying, so it's a win-win situation here. I try to build up a real good and deep friendship and bring it to the next level then.

You might roll-eyes now and tell me I am crazy. Maybe... It worked far less than the typical "let's just be friends"-cases. But if it works it's a dream. The whole basis is there. The expunging and talking about problems, the being open with each other, the trust, etc.

Never give up to early. I have been regarded as a "just friend" and really nothing more twice from two different girls/women, and after times I got them to think about it (of course by dropping clues...) and really got interest as more than a friend.

It's the longer and more struggled way for sure, but this is the kind of relationships I prefer.

But don't get me started on the ladder-theory, or this post never ends.

I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    I did ask (back in feb) the girl I liked. The dialogue went something like this:

"Hey, um, er, uh, recently I, um, realised I really quite, um, like you, is that ok?"

Short pause.

"I really like you too but you are like one of my best friends. I don't want to ruin it."

"Yeah good idea." - I didn't mean that bit but I didn't want to drag on.

first of all, get more assertive. Just take your time and figure out how you gonna say it, and then without "erms..." and "umms...". Second: If you read my post above: I never managed to attract a lady right this minute I told her I would like more than friendship. But I got them to think and consider, which they sometimes don't do for themselves ;) sorry ladies.
    Lawton wrote:
    I just end up talking shit, unattractive shit too when I'm around girl friends. Like I end up talking about how constipated I was this morning or how smelly I am. It's odd but it gives laughs. I think its like getting laughs because I'm insecure.

Cut that out, seriously. Nothing wrong with being open, I talk about "tummy aches" too, but I wouldn't be so much interested if a girl told me about her yesterday Taco and Salsa Sauce diarrhea.

Just buckle up and speak your mind to girls in an assertive way and don't lose hopes too quick. If the girl isn't a ho, you are not going to lose friendship if it really should not work out.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    I had a friend who was insecure, and he would not admit it. He always took loads of time over what he looked like and copied how people he thought were cool looked...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I got bullied really badly a few years ago. I used to take panic attacks on the bus going to school and stuff and it was just really a horrible place to be for me until a couple of years ago. I'm still pretty insecure, I ask my mates if they like a certain thing before I buy it (sometimes regardless of whether I like it myself) just incase some wide-o says something.

I realised though that these arseholes are a minority and that people who are insecure can make themselves feel better. I do, from time to time, lapse into the "Oh dear Jesus what if they think this or that?" and "Was that just a joke or were they serious?" etc but you soon realise that it's just in your head.

A bit off topic, I know.