Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hard Drive Tempretures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any figures for what the average tempreture of their hard drives are?

Also anyone find mounting a hard drive vertically helps it to remain cooler?

I'm trying various things to get the temps own on mine, was into the mid 50'sC

BTW I'm using this freeware program to monitor mine

http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/

Comments

• Options
    mine's at 34 degree's but it's a laptop harddrive so that probably isn't very helpful to you. Maybe put a fan behind the hdd? I've never really had heat problems with harddrives (even when 3 have been sandwiched together)
  • Options
    Well it depends on a lot of things.

Like what make/model/speed the drive is.

What sort of case do you have? Its always worth it to buy a decent one made from aluminium since it dissipates heat much better than steal.

I have a huge monstor case, it can hold 12 drives, and came with 7 fans and a temperature controller. I have 4 hard drives with an empty bay between each one.

You should also clean out the dust in your case, since it will slow heat flow.
    I vacuum arround all of the components every few months.

Do as noog says. Buy some 80mm fans and put them near the drives.
  • Options
    I used to have a couple of these for my hard disks to kep them cool but don't use them anymore:

Cooleronbox.jpg

They did the job, but they wouldn't fit in my new case (front door wouldn't close).

Anyone want to buy them off me cheap? :p
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    I used to have a couple of these for my hard disks to kep them cool but don't use them anymore:

Cooleronbox.jpg

They did the job, but they wouldn't fit in my new case (front door wouldn't close).

Anyone want to buy them off me cheap? :p

We used to use them at work. I think they used to do an average job.
  • Options
    My 160gb 7200rpm Hitachi drive is at 40C, after being powered up for 18 days :).
  • Options
    most drives run at an ambient temp of 40 degrees however this can change due to the temperature of the environment around it eg, mine should be around 40 ut the inside of my case is around 55 and teh cpu nearly 70 so naturally it goes up.
  • Options
    Mines is running at a rather lovely 31C

:cool:
  • Options
    Because you'd just powered up your machine? ;)
  • Options
    Here are the temperature of mine, case have no fan and no side panels.

HD 1: 39 (SATA 36GB 10,000RPM)
    HD 2: 42 (ATA 120GB)
    HD 3: 44 (ATA 120GB)
  • Options
    Here are the temperature of mine, case have no fan and no side panels.

HD 1: 39 (SATA 36GB 10,000RPM)
    HD 2: 42 (ATA 120GB)
    HD 3: 44 (ATA 120GB)

Your PC is open on both sides?

OK managed to get the tempreture down on my Seagate 60GB 7200 RPM Drive by putting it lower in my case - averaging about 45C from 56C when it was high in the case, I think that's an acceptable tempreture.

One thing I'm wondering is that they say heat is generated by the friction of the air inside the drive - so how come they don't make a vaccum on the inside and totally seal it?
  • Options
    Your PC is open on both sides?

Yes it is.
  • Options
    One thing I'm wondering is that they say heat is generated by the friction of the air inside the drive - so how come they don't make a vaccum on the inside and totally seal it?

Ever tried moving something inside a vacuum? Hard drive speed is far more important than how hot it gets, to most people.

As far as I know, the biggest source of heat generated by a hard drive is the motor used to spin the platters. As hard drive rotational speeds increase, the temperature will also go up.