Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does this sound like a scam to you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi people.

Ok i've started chatting to a girl from a singles site about 2-3weeks ago (if anyone of you remember the last thread i posted in here). She said she was visiting her mum in africa, but due to her mum being ill she cancelled her flight home.

Was asking how her day was at the start of the week. and she told me it was crap as her mum is really bad and she could pay all the bills for the hospital. Then on wednesday she said that a friend was going to lend her the money but she cant cash any cheaques out there.

She asked if i'd cash it for her. Ask why her friend cant do a transfer to her account. She keeps asking if i can cash it for her then transfer the money. And asks for my Full address, name and phone number.

This could be real and could be asking for my help but i dont know i just have a funny feeling about it. Can anyone offer some advise on this, as if its real then i'd feel bad if i dont, but at the same time i've been fucked over enought in the last year to worry this isn't what it seems.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it does sound like a scam.

Even if it is real, you barely know her. I wouldn't get into any financial dealings (like money laundering...) with someone I barely knew, whether they'd be fucked without it or not.
    if you're having any doubts, don't do it. :no:
    i'd say a scam. stay out of it. i'm sure she has friends who could do that for her if the story is true.
    why would she need you full address etc.

block and delete, block and delete!
    I like you I also have a funny feeling about this and like you say you have delt with a lot in the last year.

When my boyfriend was on yahoo personals, he use to have a lot of European women approach him, ok so some might have been genuine, but the one who was mailing him everyday just made him feel that there was something not quite right. He had a strong feeling she just wanted to marry him from a passport.

My advice would go with your feeling, as personally when I go with my feeling they are normally right.
    It's a scam. I'm certain of it.
    DON'T LEND HER ANY MONEY, you don't know this girl. Even if the story is true, it's not your place to be lending money to people you haven't ever met.
    Don't do it.
    This is without a doubt a textbook scam.

Block this person now.
    This is an old scam.

o They get you to cash a stolen cheque.
    o The bank says its cleared
    o You send your money to the stranger
    o A month later, the bank sends back the duff cheque

Dont ask me how the bank can tell you a cheque has cleared when it hasn't really.

All I know is this is a variation on the old ebay scam, where someone sends you a cheque for more than you wanted, you send the change and the goods, but then the cheque bounces even though the bank told you it cleared earlier.
    bluewisdom wrote:
    DON'T LEND HER ANY MONEY, you don't know this girl. Even if the story is true, it's not your place to be lending money to people you haven't ever met.

he wouldn't be lending her money though. well that's not the idea anyway.
    I had a Russian lady contacting me through the Faceparty site last August. She wrote long letters which appeared nice at the time. We exchanged 2 penfriend-style letters. Her 3rd letter suggested more. But why do it over a distance that is half of Europe?

Suspicious I was, I stuck some of her phrases and keywords into Google. Bobs your uncle. 8 scam sites appeared at the top of the results page.

Basically, if the scam ran its course, it is designed to gain your trust, leading to a love relationship which ends up with the lady coming over to the UK (or USA). The lady comes up with a sub-story saying that she is out of pocket and asks you to send the money for her aeroplane ticket by Western Union.

Result: The money clears. The lady doesn't turn up.

The scam duration is usually 2 months, so although I managed to fall for it, I did wise up within 3 days which isn't too bad going.

A friend of a friend of mine was caught in the scam fully and lost £400.
    sounds like a scam to me. don't fall for it.
    If a bitch mentions Africa. It's a scam.

Oh, and if you hear western union being thrown about, along with the word "africa" , it's also probably a scam.

Africa doesn't exist. It's a scam
    to expand on BritJames' post:

Everyone thinks Africa is dirt poor, but they couldn't be more wrong.
    You see the nigerian 419 scammers have made it into a first world country, but no one know yet.

Dear Sir/Madam, I write with tears and confidence in God almighty that you will give this proposal an urgent attention. I am Miss Mary Benson daughter to the late Dr/Mrs Benson Smith who were killed by the rebel forces on their way to Abidjan,ecomomic capital of Cote D Ivoire for a business meeting
    in..........

http://www.419eater.com/html/hall_of_shame.htm
    Sounds like a scam, plus its not your place to help someone out like that.
    realistically, if she was really in trouble, even if she has no really good friends, she must know someone better than you that can do the favour for her. You've never met her, you dont know her, and although obv you shouldnt be a bitch to someone for no reason you owe her nothing, and if it was a real problem, like i said, she must know someone, just one person in this world well enough to cash the cheque etc for her....
    Phishfood wrote:
    This is an old scam.

o They get you to cash a stolen cheque.
    o The bank says its cleared
    o You send your money to the stranger
    o A month later, the bank sends back the duff cheque

Dont ask me how the bank can tell you a cheque has cleared when it hasn't really.

All I know is this is a variation on the old ebay scam, where someone sends you a cheque for more than you wanted, you send the change and the goods, but then the cheque bounces even though the bank told you it cleared earlier.

This is exactly what I was going to say, have seen a TV programme on this before. Report her to the singles site