Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What the Internet? Status: Confounded

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone, I need help here. I’ve just acquired a new flat yesterday and would like to install an internet connection however I have no experience regarding this.

The flat had a previous telephone line with BT which they say can be reactivated. I know that BT offer internet service and I’ve checked the website but only found it confusing. The usage result from the broadband usage calculator was over 10 GB because I stream video and radio and sometime leave the connection on whether downloading or not, though I am unsure of my calculations. Anyway, it seems that my usage is closer to Option 2 but it has, what I think is, a 6 GB limit. What is this limit about? What would happen if I go over the limit? Would I have to pay more or would the connection stop until the following month?

Option 2 also offers a wireless modem/connection for a fee of £25. Is it worth it? However, I think it would be more convenient to be able to use the computer/internet wherever in or out of the house. What do you think of having a wireless connection? What are the problems with a wireless connection that are not so obvious? Moreover, is the modem that BT provides any good? What if I will provide my own wireless modem, would I still have to pay BT the fee? Or, is it better to take the BT modem than to supply my own? Had enough? Well, there’s more…

So I’ve been reading through a few previous threads on the subject of internet and only ended up more confused and more questions. There seem to be so many internet providers, big, not so big and small, offering different packages. For example, Bulldog offers unlimited monthly usage that cost 15% less and up to 6 megs faster than BT Option 2 (at this point of the document, I’m considering going for Option 3 if ever). Now that looks good in writing, but I know that it isn’t always how it is in practice, or is it? Anyway I guess what I’m trying to get at is what other internet providers are worth investing in and why? Thanks.

:banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The download limit isn't entirely enforced, unless you download *alot* of data ( read this

Wireless itself is good, but personally I think you should invest in your own wireless hardware, preferably 'MIMO' stuff, Perhaps buy it in PC World and if it doesnt work as desired then you can easily take it back. My wireless works perfectly but my house doesnt have thick concrete interior walls or anything like that.

I woulden't touch BT with bargepole now, not since they kicked me off in 1997 for excessive usage of their "anytime dialup" package. But they do have a habit of overcharging and putting caps on their products (And generally clouding the waters and confusing the average person). Infact even on their own adverts they seem to claim that the only plus of having BT Broadband is that it gets paid together with your BT phonebill.

I'd check out UKOnline or Bulldog, or any other "LLU" adsl supplier (i.e they're not reliant on BT's exchange equipment to provide a connection = cheaper)

hth
    We use our own wireless stuff and have no probs whatsoever, its through a bt line but we actually have tesco broadband.
    noog wrote:
    I'd check out UKOnline or Bulldog, or any other "LLU" adsl supplier (i.e they're not reliant on BT's exchange equipment to provide a connection = cheaper)

hth

However, they *are* reliant on their own equipment, which can be flaky. Bulldog had a lot of complaints. It may have calmed down lately. Make sure you check any possible provider out on google (groups) or adslguide
    broadband is an always on connection effectively

so doesnt matter if its on and you aint downloading
    MrG wrote:
    broadband is an always on connection effectively

so doesnt matter if its on and you aint downloading

internet "background radiation" is not insignificant, so turning your equipment off when not in use can help if you are close to your cap.