Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mickey mouse degrees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basically i want to know what kind of degrees employers dont take any notice of. In my opinion (and sorry to anyone who has this) a leisure and tourism degree is not really worth anything same as an art degree. Dont quite fall into the same category as law or physics do they.
Also, does it make any difference to do a foundation degree then a top up year to simply doing a full degree course straight off? or is it just the same?
I'm asking because im trying to make the decision about what course to choose at uni next year. I've been offered a place at nottingham trent to do a digital media technology degree, which would cost me roughly 5 grand a year to study there(so 15k total). I've also been offered a place on a multimedia foundation degree course which i would then do a top of year in digital media design at the end of and would cost me roughly 6 thousand pounds in total to attend.
I've been offered places on computer science and business studies courses as well which are also 15k for 3 years.

At the end of it all i'd like to open my own business and preferably work with graphics and designing, chances are that wouldnt happen right after the course though and i would want to work in a similar area for a few years. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best route to take?
I have already got 4 years work experience as a designer (web 2 years and fashion 2 years) so is it worth getting a degree in that area or should i go for something generic like business?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    icey wrote:
    Basically i want to know what kind of degrees employers dont take any notice of.

i have a mickey mouse degree and i had a permanent graduate job a month and a half after i graduated. don't believe everything you read in the papers.

your personality, potential and experience count for a lot more, to most employers. relevant work experience and a well-written CV will get you everywhere.
    kaffrin wrote:
    i have a mickey mouse degree
    What in, just out of curiousity?
    icey wrote:
    What in, just out of curiousity?

creative writing.
    I'm studying for a mickey mouse degree and take offence! :grump:
    But I think Kaffrin's right, a good cv and all that will more likely get you where you want to go
    kaffrin wrote:
    creative writing.

A Grad job in creative writing??

How?? Where???
    Walkindude wrote:
    A Grad job in creative writing??

How?? Where???

my job's in copywriting. like I said, it's all about transferable skills. my employers didn't look at my CV and think 'hooray, maybe she can write poems', they looked and it and knew that i would have good written communication skills.

obviously there are some careers that need you to have relevant degrees, but for a lot of jobs, it doesn't really matter what you studied, only what you learned and how you can apply that knowledge to the role.
    Remember that in most degree, you can take so many modules from outside of your own degree, so if you wanted to learn a bit of business outside of you media design degree, then that shouldn't be a problem. I think that the area you want to work in will depend on portfolios too, so that degree might give you the opportunity to increase it, and give you facilities and software that you might otherwise not have access to.
    The purpose of a degree isn't to go directly into that area of topic when getting a job. Obviously you can, but theres a lot more to it than that

A degree provides a hell of a lot more than what the title says, often a lot of it wont be relevent to the course title

A degree teaches loads of skills and proves to potential employers that you have the ability to stick at something. It also broadens people skills and communication and all that

Clearly you cant do a degree in something like drama and then become a rocket scientist because scientist jobs require specific knowledge (but thats not what im trying to say)
    Just for an example, as part of my English degree we have to fully plan, organise and finance a community based scheme, not very relevant to English, but very relevant to potential employers.