Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Halls of Residence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm looking at which University to go to in September. I've got offers at all the four medical schools I applied for and have narrowed it down to St. Andrews or Manchester.

Despite contrasting greatly, I really like them both and can't really decide. One thing I have come across is that St. Andrews seems to have a lot of shared rooms with other students in the first year....not something I'm keen on at all!

Anyway, after further research I have found that it only seems to be the catered halls which do this (if you know otherwise please let me know!) Now I was wondering...if I applied for non catered accommodation (which i wanted anyway) and put my firm choice in (only got a conditional offer), would there be a very strong chance I'll get the self-catered halls...or is there a decent chance of ending up in a catered and therefore sharing, hall.

I just want to know if I put down self catering if I will get it! Which halls tend to be the most popular? Catered or non?

Thanks in Advance:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I know this sounds obvious, but call the accommodation people there. If its anything like ours, they are pretty honest about things like that. Just tell them its out of interest as you are pretty sure its your first choice, not that you would base a decision on it, or they would try and talk you round by saying what you want.
  • Options
    so if u apply for self catering u can still end up with catering? or just a room with people who are catering? This doesnt seem very fair as they must surely have less appliences than self catering rooms? Unless you HAVE to pay for catering if u get a catering room? Or you get free food :)
  • Options
    No, I doubt that very much. I'm wondering if the self-catered residence will get full: so people will have to be put into catered. I was wondering which is the most popular, and so if theres a chance I'll be put into catered accommodation when I really want self-catered.
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    No, I doubt that very much. I'm wondering if the self-catered residence will get full: so people will have to be put into catered. I was wondering which is the most popular, and so if theres a chance I'll be put into catered accommodation when I really want self-catered.

I wouldn't worry too much. The majority of halls are self-catered, it's pretty much standard.
  • Options
    I rung and e-mailed the university and they've got back to me today. Apparently they can't let me know until after a firm acceptance lol.

So has anyone got any other information on the halls at St. Andrews?
  • Options
    I haven't really got any info on St Andrews, but if you do end up somewhere where you might have to share, just send a letter saying what a terrible snorer you are.

They don't tend to put people in shared rooms who don't want to, there's no point.

If you put self-catering you'll probably get it tbh.
  • Options
    lol, I was thinking that: and also that I was vegan (so I end up in self catered) :D