Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dell In India

12346»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    emotbarf0pv.gif

That's about as intelligent as you get innit
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't remember you supplying any 'facts' in this thread.........

do you know what "irony" means?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you know what GDP is?

Yes, thank you.

I suspect you're now going to make a sarcastic and rather pointless remark regarding the incorrect depression of one consonant key instead of another.

Have fun, I'm sure it'll make you feel so much better.
    Blagsta wrote:
    ug ug ug innit

yer bruv, innit.
    smug wanker
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, thank you.

I suspect you're now going to make a sarcastic and rather pointless remark regarding the incorrect depression of one consonant key instead of another.

Have fun, I'm sure it'll make you feel so much better.

Please don't reflect your own (low) standards onto others..........
    Toadborg wrote:
    Please don't reflect your own (low) standards onto others..........

So what was your point caller?

Other than to comment on the fact I mistakenly said GDP instead of GNP?

*yawn*
    Toadborg - if you really were studying economics at post-grad level like you claim, then I susepct that you'd be able to engage in a discussion about critiques of GDP as a measurement of wealth and standard. of living without getting all defensive and abusive.
    What discussion? Kermit has simply ridiculed people for using GDP as a measure of economic wellbeing.

What is the point he has made, I can't see one.

GDP is widely accepted as a decent measure of economic well being though it is best complemented with other variables. There is little debate to be had really

But go for anyway.......
    Economic wellbeing for whom, though? You of all people should know that a high GDP does not equal a well-off population.

If the immense majority of wealth is in the hands of a few, then the GDP is completely useless in establishing how the people of a country are doing.

According to CIA world fact book the second highest country in the world in the GDP rankings is none other than Equatorial Guinea, with a staggering $50,000 per head.

Do you really think that is a good indication of how the country and its people are doing? Because I suspect the average man in the street there would fail to be very excited about his country doing so well in the GDP rankings. In fact Equatorial Guinea does not strike me as a country that is doing well at any levels. Is it?
    Indeed that is why other variables should be kept in mind.

However in the majority of cases GDP tells the correct story.

E.g. China has had very high GDP growth in the last ten years, and guess what a lot of Chinese are a lot richer.

the UK has a far higher GDPPC than Somali and guess what, The average person in the UK is far better off then the average person in Somalia.

So no, GDP is not the be all and end all and in a detailed analysis other variables e.g. distribution, health, education etc must be considered but is the best single variable for telling us about the economic fortunes of a country's inhabitants..........
    Toadborg wrote:
    What discussion? Kermit has simply ridiculed people for using GDP as a measure of economic wellbeing.

What is the point he has made, I can't see one.

GDP is widely accepted as a decent measure of economic well being though it is best complemented with other variables. There is little debate to be had really

But go for anyway.......

Still ignoring the points I see.
    Toadborg wrote:
    E.g. China has had very high GDP growth in the last ten years, and guess what a lot of Chinese are a lot richer.

:lol: That's a classic!

I refer you to Aladdin's post, which has said what I have already said. GDP/GNP says how much money is in a country, not how rich the people in that country are.
    Toadborg wrote:

Yeah, thats why they're coming to the UK to get paid £20/day picking cockles and risking being drowned.
    What hope is there for people who wear hearing aids like me and can't hear properly? :-/
    Kermit wrote:
    :lol: That's a classic!

I refer you to Aladdin's post, which has said what I have already said. GDP/GNP says how much money is in a country, not how rich the people in that country are.

:confused:

You really are rether confused on this whole issue it seems.

Do you not think that China is richer now than it was 20 years ago?

Blagsta you can't deny that a lot of Chinese are richer, yes many are still very poor, but that isn't the point is it?

How much statistics/econometrics do you two understand?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you not think that China is richer now than it was 20 years ago?

China may well be.

The Chinese aren't. Not beyond the minute Beijing/Shanghai elite anyway.

It's not rocket science to grasp the difference.
    Toadborg wrote:

Blagsta you can't deny that a lot of Chinese are richer, yes many are still very poor, but that isn't the point is it?

I'm pointing out how absurd your use of GDP as a measure of the wealth of average everyday people is.
    Toadborg wrote:
    How much statistics/econometrics do you two understand?

A lot more than you, obviously.
    Kermit wrote:
    China may well be.

The Chinese aren't. Not beyond the minute Beijing/Shanghai elite anyway.

It's not rocket science to grasp the difference.

Fortunatley this is not true, the recent increase of wealth in China has seen the largest reduction in poverty ever.

Unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

Easier to deny reality to fit your worldview though isn't it?

Your ideology has clearly so warped your perception of reality that you are incapable of admitting though most obvious points if they contradict your beleiefs. Rather worrying really.........
    Toadborg wrote:
    Fortunatley this is not true, the recent increase of wealth in China has seen the largest reduction in poverty ever.

Unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

Easier to deny reality to fit your worldview though isn't it?

Your ideology has clearly so warped your perception of reality that you are incapable of admitting though most obvious points if they contradict your beleiefs. Rather worrying really.........

Oh the irony! :D Toadborg calling someone else out for denying reality!

Cockle pickers toady, cocklepickers.
    Cockle pickers toady, cocklepickers.

Good old government, eh?

Nothing like barriers to trade and reams of legislation to produce a vast blackmarket.
    What the devil do the cocklepickers prove?

Are you trying to say that because some Chinese are poor and willing to come to Britain in less than desirable circumstances that all Chinese are poor?

This is exactly the opposite of proper proof, a single example proves nothing, only data can tell you.

What measure of individual wealth would you use instead of GDP?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    Are you trying to say that because some Chinese are poor and willing to come to Britain in less than desirable circumstances that all Chinese are poor?

Yes, there are rich chinese. Few rich chinese. What is your point? When a few people at the top hold the money, you soon see how the "trickle down" effect doesn't work.
    I forget now, is it half or two-thirds of the population of China that live in subsistence conditions?

China is indeed richer, based on the notion of GDP/GNP. The urban elite in Beijing and Shanghai are richer, you're right. But to claim that all (or even a majority) of Chinese are now rich is absolutely ludicrous.
    Kermit wrote:
    . But to claim that all (or even a majority) of Chinese are now rich is absolutely ludicrous.

Yes it is, hence why no-one has done so............ :rolleyes:

Like I said the recent growth of China has seen the largest number of people pulled out of poverty ever, it is quite remarkable......
    The chinese who are living in subsitence conditions are the same people who have always lived in subsistence consitions. Quite how having people nearby who have become wealtheir changes their lot i can't imagine.

It's like saying that the local wino gets worse off if you get a payrise. It's nonsense. :rolleyes:
    Toadborg wrote:
    What the devil do the cocklepickers prove?

Don't be dumb
    Toadborg wrote:
    This is exactly the opposite of proper proof, a single example proves nothing, only data can tell you.

What measure of individual wealth would you use instead of GDP?

I'd dispute that you can measure quality of life in purely economic terms
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd dispute that you can measure quality of life in purely economic terms

Does help though. Living in total abstract poverty won't make anybody happy no matter how much an opptimistic an outlook they have on life.
    turlough wrote:
    Does help though. Living in total abstract poverty won't make anybody happy no matter how much an opptimistic an outlook they have on life.

Of course it helps. But to pretend that GDP actually tells us anything about what life is like for your average bod is just absurd.