Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why is religion treated in the same way as race

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
race you cannot choose, you are born into a 'race' which has no discernable characteristics other than colour or nationality - thus it is pointless and stupid to discriminate against

why cant i mock peoples beliefs?

should these guys get legal protection from their followers practising their religion?
ori.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

seriously though, and off my stargate sg1 obsession, what say you?

Comments

• Options
    The only protection should be freedom of choice of religion. Beyond that, nothing else should be place. Then again, my irreligion is based on mocking others, so I may not be the best person to ask.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    The only protection should be freedom of choice of religion. Beyond that, nothing else should be place. Then again, my irreligion is based on mocking others, so I may not be the best person to ask.

so its the same as me :lol:

i fail to see how peoples' beliefs should be protected from all criticism

if i knew about those protests in london in advance i would of made up a placard having a laugh at these extremists
  • Options
    Because there is cash and votes in protecting certain groups from nasty reality.

I believe that you do not have the right to hold irrational beliefs.

I also am coming around to the view that teaching religion to kids is child abuse.
  • Options
    This is the problem with organised religion, it becomes cultural rather than religious. How many of you celebrate Christmas? I think everyone should have their beliefs and be entitled to them, but others should be free to mock them if they feel they are ridiculous. But then people start putting a label on things. People who believe this are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, and then when you take the piss out of them, it's attacking a whole group of people, rather than a set of beliefs (which the Jewish community seems to have used very well in preventing anyone from mocking their beliefs, not just the religious group).
  • Options
    Aye. And for some reason Bhuddists no one mocks either.

Perhaps it's cos they are always grinning.
  • Options
    Zen Buddhists are full of shit, don't know enough about the others. They also don't like it when you demonstrate the sound of one hand clapping.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Probably because Buddhists don't tend to use their beliefs to do stupid things like bomb abortion clinics, or generally get other people to live by their idea of morality. Anyone noticed the religions that keep themselves to themselves, tend to be the ones that suffer the least abuse? Maybe there's a lesson there.
  • Options
    Probably because Buddhists don't tend to use their beliefs to do stupid things like bomb abortion clinics, or generally get other people to live by their idea of morality. Anyone noticed the religions that keep themselves to themselves, tend to be the ones that suffer the least abuse? Maybe there's a lesson there.

I wouldn't be so certain, unless we are talking about with agnostics/atheists. The pagans take shit from everyone, for example, pretty much.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

How many wars have Zen Bhuddist peoples started?
  • Options
    How many wars have Zen Bhuddist peoples started?

Historically quite a few. Its just very hard to justify under their religious teachings.
  • Options
    Almost all the early Japanese warlords (including the guy who made a small hill from Korean noses) where Zen bhuddists.

They just ahven't been that busy lately on the whole death dealing.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Historically quite a few. Its just very hard to justify under their religious teachings.
    It's pretty hard to justify war and genocide under most religious teachings without a very dubious interpretation of them.
  • Options
    It's pretty hard to justify war and genocide under most religious teachings without a very dubious interpretation of them.

Holy War, Just War Theory and Lesser Jihad are three that come to mind.
  • Options
    There's many examples of when people are born into a religion.
  • Options
    My point is that it still contradicts everything else in the teachings.
  • Options
    Not totally. The Old and New Testaments, as well as the Koran, all make justification for fighting and warfare. Total warfare in the case of Jews.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    if i knew about those protests in london in advance i would of made up a placard having a laugh at these extremists

Or at least at their appaling spellnig and Grammar.

There ARE Buddhist extremists, who like to take guerilla action.

A fair few in Tibet right now tbh as well. And Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or at least at their appaling spellnig and Grammar.

There ARE Buddhist extremists, who like to take guerilla action.

A fair few in Tibet right now tbh as well. And Sri Lanka.
    Never knew there were 'Buddhist extremists' in Tibet... In their case I'd call them freedom fighters and it's probably political rather than religious. I've yet to see violent Buddhists, but if anybody has any links to back up their claims then that'd be an interesting read.

Buddhism is more of a way of life, a philosophy rather than a religion that condones violence and hatred. To quote the Dhammapada:

All beings tremble before violence.
    All fear death.
    All love life.

See yourself in others.
    Then whom can you hurt?
    What harm can you do?

He who seeks happiness
    By hurting those who seek happiness
    Will never find happiness.

To me at least, a violent Buddhist extremist is about as likely as a Quaker terrorist.

I do believe people should have freedom to practice their religion, just like they should have freedom of association, freedom of speech, political freedom and so on... Reguardless of whether you think religion is a good or bad thing, people should have the right to believe what they want. If we were not killing each other over what deity we worship we'd soon find something else...
  • Options
    The current insurgency in Thailand is essentially fighting between Buddhists and Muslims. Will that do as evidence?
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    The current insurgency in Thailand is essentially fighting between Buddhists and Muslims. Will that do as evidence?
    Link? Source?

So this is about violent Buddhist extremists?

Isn't the fighting going on in the south and moreabout ethnic differences than religion? The south is more heavily condensed with Muslims I think...
  • Options
    I'd call them freedom fighters.

So the IRA. ETA. PLO. FARC are freedom fighters aswell? I agree, they are!
  • Options
    Isn't the fighting going on in the south and moreabout ethnic differences than religion? The south is more heavily condensed with Muslims I think...

What's that got to do with ethnicity though? Northern Irish people are basically the same ethnicity but religion fucked us up for 40 years.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Buddhist Extremists make as little sense as any crime commited in the name of religion - entirley unjustified.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Buddhist Extremists make as little sense as any crime commited in the name of religion - entirley unjustified.
    Yet I haven't seen any proof that they exist.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Not totally. The Old and New Testaments, as well as the Koran, all make justification for fighting and warfare. Total warfare in the case of Jews.

Where in the New Testament as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So the IRA. ETA. PLO. FARC are freedom fighters aswell? I agree, they are!
    Maybe...

What China are doig to Tibet is awful... Tibetans can be incarcerated and tortured simply for owning a picture of the 'speratist' Dalai Lama. Their country is being raped for oil, their culture oppressed, their financial independence mainly belongs to China too... A lot of Tibetans have fleed to India to escape persecution. It is so sad.
  • Options
    Yep - and the Chinese are Buddhists, too...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What's that got to do with ethnicity though? Northern Irish people are basically the same ethnicity but religion fucked us up for 40 years.
    Because before it was said about 'Buddhist extremists' and that was used as an example.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Yep - and the Chinese are Buddhists, too...
    China is officially atheist, but if there is any religion that the country allows it is more low-key personal religion, or that which can be supervised. Perhaps that is why Buddhism and Taoism are more popular, a lot of people are involved in Confucian beliefs too.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

I’m not particularly knowledgeable on the Torah and Judaism but I’m pretty sure I know more than you and I know enough to realise that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about...

The Torah justifies war in the Book of Joshua but it also offers a vision of peace based on not just absence of war but settled and lasting peace and security:

'And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.' Isaiah 2:4

Also for Jews the Talmud is considered and a further source of authority in Jewish law and ethics. Most Jews also don't take the Torah literally you know. Even most religious Jews would interpret it in context.

Consider the death penalty, while the Torah would suggest Judaism supports the death penalty the Oral Law would make it difficult, nearly impossible to execute someone for murder.