Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The reasopn why prisons are full

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the long termer can't get a short termer to hatcyh an escape plan.

Except for Alfie Hines. ;)
    katralla wrote:
    Heads and LEAs have gone power crazy. I took my daughter into school 1.5 hours late two weeks ago and was threatened with court ffs. The threat came after I explained that I had a bad migraine and had tried to arrange for someone else to take her (my mother, who couldn't because sh'e a nurse and HAS to go into work) and that I wasn't bringing her in while my head hurt to much to walk and I wasn't sure if I could get anyone to pick her up... I asked my LEA and they have percentage unuathorised absense guidelines before they take someone to court and they're supposed to be proving wilfull absense, therefore if a mother does all they can to get their child to school then they shouldn't be prosecuted.

My last two years at school, I had 13% attendance and putting my parents in jail would not have made it any higher!

That's just shit. It's not as if it was something that you could control either.

Talking of bullying and non attending - I was getting bullied really badly in Year 7 and stayed off school because I was fed up of going into school and being bullied every single day. I got shit because of this, but the school REFUSED to do anything about it... :rolleyes:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or just STOP CLOSING THEM. ffs, its as bad as the rate they are closing hospitals.

:confused:

Decrepid prisons are getting closed and replaced. What's wrong with that?

prison is shit. It should be there for criminals, not someone who didn't go to school.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If prisons are full, build some more. Why is such a concept anathema to our liberal establish... ah, 'liberal'... that explains it... Headteachers seem to live in another world. No school in the history of the world ever has had a bullying problem, the way some of them go on.
    i agree headteachers live in another world...i even got called names by my headteacher when i was being bullied at primary school
    i agree headteachers live in another world...i even got called names by my headteacher when i was being bullied at primary school

I had a fistfight with mine. Which I lost badly. :D
    klintock wrote:
    I had a fistfight with mine. Which I lost badly. :D
    my dad got into a fight at school once, all the teachers were stood in the windows watching and didn't break it up
    later my dad asked them why they didn't come out...their reply was ''we were having bets on who was going to win''
    Ballerina wrote:
    Headteachers seem to live in this utopian world where everything is brilliant. Well, except the state of their school's finances, of course. They're more than ready to whinge about wanting more and more money for their school, but next to useless when it comes to dealing with issues like bullying.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Just putting someone in a metal box for a few years does not solve the problem.
    Observe. Whilst they are in prison, they cannot commit more crimes. Why? Because they're stuck in a prison cell. Prison works, build more of them.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Headteachers seem to live in this utopian world where everything is brilliant. Well, except the state of their school's finances, of course. They're more than ready to whinge about wanting more and more money for their school, but next to useless when it comes to dealing with issues like bullying.

This = closest thing to an absolute truth you will find on this planet.
    Cain wrote:
    This = closest thing to an absolute truth you will find on this planet.
    I remember when I was visiting the secondary school for the first time with my parents, the headteacher gave a speech where for about ten minutes, he droned on endlessly about the lack of finances. When my parents went up to him later and asked about bullying, he simply went "oh, there's no bullying problem in this school, no bullying happens at all". Over the next five years, I discovered that was a cruel lie.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Observe. Whilst they are in prison, they cannot commit more crimes. Why? Because they're stuck in a prison cell. Prison works, build more of them.

So if we only locked up all criminals for ever there would be no problems?
    bongbudda wrote:
    So if we only locked up all criminals for ever there would be no problems?
    You know what my views on this are by now - I'd be in favour of bringing back the death penalty for the most heinious crimes. Thousands of pounds in taxpayers money is being wasted, for example, on Ian Huntley as he languishes in prison.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You know what my views on this are by now - I'd be in favour of bringing back the death penalty for the most heinious crimes. Thousands of pounds in taxpayers money is being wasted, for example, on Ian Huntley as he languishes in prison.

So if we kill all prisoners there would be no problems?
    Why stop at prisoners?

People cause crime. No people = no crime.
    bongbudda wrote:
    So if we kill all prisoners there would be no problems?
    No, you're deliberately distorting what I say here, Bongbudda. I'd be in favour of seeing rapists, murderers and paedophiles put to death. I wouldn't be in favour of extensive use of it, though.
    No he's not.

1. If the death penalty "works", why is the US' murder and rape rate so high?

2. If you execute people for rape or other sexual abuse, then they might as well get their money's worth and kill the woman too. No woman = no victim to cry rape.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, you're deliberately distorting what I say here, Bongbudda. I'd be in favour of seeing rapists, murderers and paedophiles put to death. I wouldn't be in favour of extensive use of it, though.

Of course, I wasnt taking your position entirely seriously, but I'm trying to get to the nub of the point.

You suggest we should lock up prisoners for longer, and I and others have pointed out this doesnt work. There is no correlation between prison terms and crime rate.

See Greenland for example, they dont actualy have a single prison, but a low crime rate. America high murder rate and massive prison population.
    bongbudda wrote:
    See Greenland for example, they dont actualy have a single prison, but a low crime rate. America high murder rate and massive prison population.
    What does Greenland do with criminals, then? :confused:
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What does Greenland do with criminals, then? :confused:

It uses social pressure and social punishments.

But, having said that for the very nasty crimes (v.v.v.rare) they send the person to Denmark.
    bongbudda wrote:
    It uses social pressure and social punishments. But, having said that for the very nasty crimes (v.v.v.rare) they send the person to Denmark.
    :lol: Social pressure? What kind of nonsense is that?
    bongbudda wrote:
    But, having said that for the very nasty crimes (v.v.v.rare) they send the person to Denmark.
    If that doesn't act as a deterrant, what will?
    stargalaxy wrote:

The kind of nonsense that gives them a low crime rate?
    Kermit wrote:
    The kind of nonsense that gives them a low crime rate?
    But what does "social pressure" mean? Does it simply mean going in front of a judge and he says "oh, that's alright, just don't do it again, yeah?" to a criminal? Where's the enforcement and punishment in that?
    stargalaxy wrote:

No, you're right, they just beat them with a stick and then hang them.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But what does "social pressure" mean? Does it simply mean going in front of a judge and he says "oh, that's alright, just don't do it again, yeah?" to a criminal? Where's the enforcement and punishment in that?

It means they go infront of a panel of people from the area and have to face the people they have wronged.

It means they pay back the debt to the victims.

You know, all the kind of things that the Mail hates but actually work.
    bongbudda wrote:
    It means they go infront of a panel of people from the area and have to face the people they have wronged. It means they pay back the debt to the victims.
    But it doesn't work! :banghead: Let's say that some yob had robbed my house. He was caught, and I saw him on the panel. I would be in no mood to forgive, rather, I'd be in a mood to beat him to a pulp.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But it doesn't work! :banghead: Let's say that some yob had robbed my house. He was caught, and I saw him on the panel. I would be in no mood to forgive, rather, I'd be in a mood to beat him to a pulp.

And seeing how upset you were over the incident, how personal the crime actually is rather than just another house, that's not going to have an impact on him?

I cant help getting the impression that you would rather the criminal classes where treated like during the Middle Ages.
    bongbudda wrote:
    And seeing how upset you were over the incident, how personal the crime actually is rather than just another house, that's not going to have an impact on him?
    Some of the criminals being dealt with these days have no respect for anyone, no sense of shame. Seeing someone crying or someone threatening to punch them is not going to make them change their ways.
    Then why would prison?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Some of the criminals being dealt with these days have no respect for anyone, no sense of shame. Seeing someone crying or someone threatening to punch them is not going to make them change their ways.

So what should we do? Beat them?
    stargalaxy wrote:

The death penalty can prove ridiculously expensive. Legal appeals aren't free.