Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The poor poor bartenders

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well get tips were we work and I would tip ont he occassion if I think they deserved it. On Wednesday nites, it's our student night and all of us are lucky to make a fiver but saturday nights, I usually walk out with, between 20-50quid. It's great :D

Anyone who is cheeky to me, or clicks their finger I would just refuse to serve them for a while. If they happen to order, say vodka and redbull; I would give the tin of redbull a good shake while they aint looking.
  • Options
    Anyone who is cheeky to me, or clicks their finger I would just refuse to serve them for a while. If they happen to order, say vodka and redbull; I would give the tin of redbull a good shake while they aint looking.

:o

If I'm ever there again I'll have to be the perfect gentleman in front of you :angel:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :o

If I'm ever there again I'll have to be the perfect gentleman in front of you :angel:

Awk sure you always are huni :flirt:
  • Options
    I'm told that the UK and USA have very different attitudes to tipping. For instance in the USA, some stores have made tipping compulsory. Is this true?

The only tipping I do myself is usually after getting my haircut. I leave a pound or a similar amount each time, less if I don't like the results.
  • Options
    I know most regular type resturants automatically put on a 15% "gratuity fee" :p for parties of 6 (or 8, depending) or more, but I dont eat at nice enough places to know for the mandatoryness of other places.

I had forgotten all about the hair cutter people and their tips. I give mine a nice tip just because I like her. I do that at some places, if I"m a big fan of the place or know the people or just like them I'll leave a nice tip. A breakfast place back home, my brother really loved and even though the total bill would be like $10 he'd give them a $5 tip, cuz he like them. I just yusually leave about 15-20% depending.

Another thing, I went out to eat a couple times, and the waiters never came back. Every place, they would come to seat us, once to get our orders, have somebody else bring it and then bring out the check. Never once anywhere did they ever come back to ask how things were, as if we needed anything else to drink. Usually I see the waiters come around ever 7-10 minutes or so asking if you need anything or how things are and all that. But they never asked. :( I was always really nice and pleasent and kind, I felt bad, like they didn't like me, but I tried!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Sharry21 wrote:
    I work in the cloakroom of a club, I still get my tax allowance reduced and I don't make any blimming tips, so Wise up!

And that's my fault?

If you don't like it wise up and quit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    how do you get your tax allowance reduced ?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

Well her tax code may be different.

My tax allowance was severely reduced with my company motor.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

The tax office automatically reduces your allowance depending on your job type.

It sucks rotten eggs :sour:
  • Options
    erm i shouldnt see why :confused:

my tax allowance is the full amount, i work in the nighttrade, and its been confirmed to be going up to the new level of £5,035 next tax year
  • Options
    well, they just hate me then! lol
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    erm i shouldnt see why :confused:

my tax allowance is the full amount, i work in the nighttrade, and its been confirmed to be going up to the new level of £5,035 next tax year

Your tax code determines how much money you are allowed to earn tax free every year. This code is different depending on your circumstances - what type of job you have, whether you'r self employed, a student, you're single or married, have a company car etc etc - lots of factors.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    but she works in a cloakroom, i often end up doing the same at where i work, if we are short staffed
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but she works in a cloakroom, i often end up doing the same at where i work, if we are short staffed

You may not be on the right tax code, which means you may owe money to the tax man, or maybe she's on the wrong tax code. :confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You may not be on the right tax code, which means you may owe money to the tax man, or maybe she's on the wrong tax code. :confused:

i work in a nightclub, and everyone who works there is on the same tax code, apart from the managers, and the one guy who works at a hospital as a nurse during the day

same with the place next door as well
  • Options
    :confused:

I used to have a company van for my job, but that then got replaced with a car. My tax code should have changed, but my company didn't bother doing anything about it, and I didn't realise.

A few months later the unexpected bill from the tax man was £300. Pissed me right off.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I used to be a student then when I stopped the tax code changed again. I guess in the long run I'd rather just not owe them a penny!
  • Options
    i dont see why students should be on a different tax code, its not as if they are exempt or anything
  • Options
    I know, I don't know how they work it out.
  • Options
    I didn't know about that tax code thing -

I love doing front door in my nightclub, cause I actually make more 'tips'.
    Five quid to get in but after 10pm, it goes up to 7 quid and people tend to just walk off without their change and we get to keep them as tips. One night I made about 60 quid. Was brilliant :razz:

I make tips when I'm on cloakroom as well. One time, I said to this girl how much I loved her top and she came back saying how that made her night and give me a few quid and kept doing that to girls everytime. hehe Why not, eh?
  • Options
    The USA attitude annoys me but I guess it’s a way of life there and you have to comply if you go over there.

I went to a club in New York, it wasn’t even a nice club, it was trashy, and asked for a vodka and lemonade. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to pour that drink but I was still obliged to tip a dollar, so it came to TEN DOLLARS. Bar staff over there must make a fortune if they get a dollar for every drink.

I worked on a bar for 4 years and never expected tips. If I did a huge round for someone or did table service, then yes, I may get a few pounds extra, or occasionally people would say: “have one for yourself” in which case I would keep £1 (not that you can buy a drink for £1 but I don’t want to take the p)

Something that annoyed me the most in the USA was again, in New York. I was at Ground Zero and there was this ‘artist’ on the pavement with some drawings he had done of the twin towers. People were having a look, and he had this stupid sign saying “looking is a town is china, tipping is customary here.” That disgusted me to be honest.

I've never tipped bar staff here, but then I usually order bottled drinks, one or two at a time. I tip at a restarant, a few pounds, although recently I went out with people from work, and this rich guy expected us all to tip a fiver. I tip my hairdresser about £2 or £3 if I'm pleased, but my haircut only costs £17.
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to tip hairdressers, taxi drivers, hotel staff, strippers and then the restaurant staff of course. I used to work in a town centre bar and you rarely got tips, mainly if people forgot their change. But then I did work with loads of good looking girls, and they usually got a few pounds each.

At work now I do the odd private party and I tend to get a couple of drinks bought for me during them. Usually at the end of the night, which is odd, because if you buy bar staff drinks at the start of the night, it's the unwritten rule that you'll get served first for the rest of the night.

Most 'official' type jobs don't tip because it could be seen as a bit dodgy for police to be accepting money off the public. Plus it's usually the case that these people get paid a bit, whereas waiters, hairdressers etc are likely to be on, or close to, minimum wage. But for police, paramedics, nurses, firefighters and doctors, it's not uncommon for them to get thank you cards, chocolates, flowers, that sort of thing. And whoever mentioned traffic wardens? :eek2: "Thank you for showing me the error of my parking. Here have a tip for a job well done, in addition to the £50 that I have to pay now because of you." Yeah right.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Your tax code determines how much money you are allowed to earn tax free every year. This code is different depending on your circumstances - what type of job you have, whether you'r self employed, a student, you're single or married, have a company car etc etc - lots of factors.

That's not actually right.

Your tax-free limit is the same for everyone- a smudge under £5000, or about £88 a week.

However certain perks, such as company cars or free/reduced rate accomodation, are taxable, and so the cost of these perks gets deducted from your tax-free allowance. So yes, you do earn less before you reach the threshold, but that's because the nice company motor you've got is counted as a taxable benefit in kind. Basically they say the motor is worth, say, £2k a year, and knock £2k off your allowance when creating your tax code.

I suspect that sharry owes them money, or that her tax code is wrong. AFAIK they don't take tipping into account when calculating the tax code, as they have no way of knowing what the tipping income is. Tipping is taxable, btw.

Oh, and for the last time, students have to pay tax too if they earn more than £88 a week.
  • Options
    I don't tip bar staff over here, but then they don't do anything to warrant a tip.

In many other countries, such as Germany, the bar staff come to you and take your drinks orders. In Austria I've tipped if the service has been good, and it nearly always has been. I just felt embarrassed when the stressed out beer girl was pathetically grateful for a five euro tip.
  • Options
    Some of the clubs in London serve your bar change in a tray in the hope that you'l tip them, balls I say after £15 to get in and £3 for a bottle of water.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Some of the clubs in London serve your bar change in a tray in the hope that you'l tip them, balls I say after £15 to get in and £3 for a bottle of water.
    That tends to be my attitude, too, I'm afraid. I don't tip in other places unless there's table service. Maybe I'm wrong but that's always how I was taught to go about it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I suspect that sharry owes them money, or that her tax code is wrong. AFAIK they don't take tipping into account when calculating the tax code, as they have no way of knowing what the tipping income is. Tipping is taxable, btw.

Oh, and for the last time, students have to pay tax too if they earn more than £88 a week.

On my tax code calculations letter I've had twice (been there two years) It states catagorically that I have had £500 taken off my tax allowance for tips.
  • Options
    Well let the tax office know if you dont recieve the tips. Christ Almight stop whingeing and do something about it.

And seconded Kermit, all you students ARE liable to tax so stop rattling on about it, I feel the general feeling is 'students are exempt from tax' well if that were the case wouldnt everyone be a student?!

Oh an Single or Married only mkes a difference if your're over 70 :p
  • Options
    I wasn't complaining about it tbh, just pointing it out. Not being told I'm wrong when Im not.
  • Options
    maybe someones already mentioned this, i dont know *hasnt read the whole thread*

but arn't those toilet attendants in clubs anoying. They expect tips for handing you a paper towell!

I work as a barman, i rarely get tips, and if i do its usually from the regulars who order huge rounds