Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

that whingy muslim schoolgirl loses court battle

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually, in Iran women enjoy a lot of freedoms and liberties. Much more so than other Islamic States.
    religion causes more shit everyday...isn't it supposed to be a good thing?
    Reminder: All religions are for emos. Ie people who want to complain about imaginary problems that don't matter and also indulge in persecution/martyr complexes.

I now return you to your regulary scheduled debate.
    what a waste of taxpayers money. she's not even at that school anymore. saw on the news that the next step would be the european court of something or other, have to see if that'll be her next step...
    turlough wrote:
    Actually, in Iran women enjoy a lot of freedoms and liberties. Much more so than other Islamic States.

Well because Iran is marginally better than a few other Islamic states I guess that makes it all right. Hitler was far worse than Mussolini so lets overlook Il Duce. Riight.

http://feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=8807
    http://feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=8893
    http://feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=7813

Not a good idea if women get together in a crowd either is it? Police Attack Women's Day Celebration.

Sure – Iran isn’t quite as backwards and violent towards women as Saudi Arabia but lets not pretend any kind of equality for women exists there or that women are not essentially treated like second class citizens.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cain wrote:
    Reminder: All religions are for emos. Ie people who want to complain about imaginary problems that don't matter and also indulge in persecution/martyr complexes.

I now return you to your regulary scheduled debate.

POST OF THE WEEK IMHO. :thumb: :lol:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    POST OF THE WEEK IMHO. :thumb: :lol:

thankyouthankyou.gif
    Nightbreed wrote:
    As far as Im concerned religion should stay out of schools apart from in lessons. If someone wants to follow their religions to that level then they should go to a religious school. Uniform rules are there to lower the differences between students not highlite them.

In One. Took the words out my mouth
    turlough wrote:

In their private homes they can do whatever they want. In public they're required to wear a headscarf.
    The population is fed up of it.

Regarding the case, the whole principle of school-uniforms is wrong. And I actually agree with the girl. Where is the school to tell her, that the uniform they provide is in sync with her religion, if she thinks otherwise? They can't impose a belief.
    It would have to be pretty extreme before I'd disagree with people wearing whatever they want. It'd have to be hurtful towards other people before I'd count anybody's outfit as wrong, in such a case.

If we in the west want to be known as tolerant and open-minded, we have to show it - for examply by allowing people to wear the outfit they deem as suitable for their religion.
    she could of worn appropiate school uniform that took religious considerations into account but decided it werent hardcore enough for her
    Argh, she COULD HAVE. Sorry, personal pet-hate.

I do think, though, that watered-down religious dress-code misses the point. If she feels she has to cover her head for faith reasons she should be allowed. We had this debate over staff wearing the jilbab at UCL Hospital in Union council and decided overwhelmingly to support those who choose to wear it.
    There are different types of Islam aren't there? Just like there are different denominations of Christianity... So whilst the uniform might be good for some Muslims, it isn't for all.
    piccolo wrote:
    Argh, she COULD HAVE. Sorry, personal pet-hate.

I do think, though, that watered-down religious dress-code misses the point. If she feels she has to cover her head for faith reasons she should be allowed. We had this debate over staff wearing the jilbab at UCL Hospital in Union council and decided overwhelmingly to support those who choose to wear it.

she was allowed to cover her head though, she wanted full body garb which rest of school didnt find appropiate, despite the fact 79% of students there are muslim..... which must say something about the kind of minority this girls views are in

if i decided to form my own cult/reilgion, should my beliefs be taken into account in school uniform, of course not
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The thing I worry about is... if we allow one, will the floodgates be opened? Will Jedi's be allowed Lightsabres in schools and allsorts?
    she was allowed to cover her head though, she wanted full body garb which rest of school didnt find appropiate, despite the fact 79% of students there are muslim..... which must say something about the kind of minority this girls views are in

if i decided to form my own cult/reilgion, should my beliefs be taken into account in school uniform, of course not
    There's a difference between something some student starts and a religion that has been around years... But then canteens cater for vegetarians which is a lifestyle (hen again, Buddhists and Hindus are often vegetarian to my knowledge), so if you wanted to be uppity and make a point, you could try.

There are different types of Muslim, at least it seems so in my university, some types are stricter than others. It doesn't matter whether there aren't any that follow her denomination there, if it goes hand in hand with her religion then they are oblged to accomodate that. It is just like in my old school where the Muslim pupils didn't have to attend assembly.
    There's a difference between something some student starts and a religion that has been around years...

Apart from the length of time..what exactly.

I couls set myself up as a cult leader worshipping the fairies from planet Grinson, demanding that I wear a tiara and ballgown at all times.

You can either respect people's lunatic irrational, unprovable beliefs as valid and let them wear what the hell the like, or you can say that all "beliefs" are big pile of crap that should be ignored by sane rational people.

In which case you wouldn't have uniforms either because rules and the law are another wacky, crazy belief.

annnnd quick question -

How much violence is required to ensure she wears the clothing that you want her to, if there is any is it worth it and why?
    There's a difference between something some student starts and a religion that has been around years... But then canteens cater for vegetarians which is a lifestyle (hen again, Buddhists and Hindus are often vegetarian to my knowledge), so if you wanted to be uppity and make a point, you could try.

There are different types of Muslim, at least it seems so in my university, some types are stricter than others. It doesn't matter whether there aren't any that follow her denomination there, if it goes hand in hand with her religion then they are oblged to accomodate that. It is just like in my old school where the Muslim pupils didn't have to attend assembly.

the ONLY difference is number of followers, unless theres another difference? in her school she is the only follower of that 'form' compared to the rest of her school who are mainly muslim

in my secondary school, headscarves were allowed, that was it, none of the muslim girls i knew at school had any qualms with wearing trousers and jumper with a headscarves since it was very modest, even if they went full on out of school

if her school was forcing her to wear to wear a skirt id understand, but they made enough provision in their uniform code for the majority of the schools pupils, except her because the rest of the students aren't good enough muslims

imo religion should have no legal protection in being allowed to practice certain things if they break the general rule, and strangely in this country, school uniform is one of them things, if hses cares that much she can go off to saudi where they will allow her to practice, and not drive a car, or leave home without covering her face

i personally think school uniforms work as long as they are moderately flexible i.e as long as u have general colour scheme and school badge with no brands on etc it can be of any sort be it a blazer,jumper,shirt,hoodie whatever
    subject13 wrote:
    You clearly cannot be that intelligent can you kermit to say that, since i am not against Islam or ethnic minorities of any kind, or ever made any mention of been against them or their respective and varied cultures.

What was the point of the post then?
    You on the other hand always make threads about black culture and other ethnic minorities of Britain.

I must have missed them.
    So i see no reason why to come at me like that, when i was merely pointing out a news story that related to this thread, as in each cases it was young girls attempting to force their beliefs and attitudes on others. one born into a faith, one a convert to said faith.

It was irrelevant.
    katralla wrote:
    your anger seems misguided in its direction, unless you think the only people who deserve legal aid are those who agree with you.

:confused:

This case has already cost the taxpayer- that's you and me- over £300,000, and rising.

Are you seriously trying to claim that that is a great expenditure of money? Especially when divorced women can't even get legal aid to defend their family homes against their spouses?

The legal aid pot is very small as it is. Pissing it away on the frivolous demands of a stupid little teenage girl is nothing short of a national disgrace.

Not that I think it's corrupt or anything, but don't you find the choice of the girl's counsel a little...convenient?

imo religion should have no legal protection in being allowed to practice certain things if they break the general rule, and strangely in this country, school uniform is one of them things, if hses cares that much she can go off to saudi where they will allow her to practice, and not drive a car, or leave home without covering her face

Sorry but to me that just sounds biggoted, the whole "if you don't like it, clear off" atitude. One good thing about this country is the right to be able to practice our religion freely as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, there is no harm in this and it abides to International Law. How she is so lucky to live in the UK and be allowed to practice her religion as well as drive a car is irrelevent. She is not in Saudi, she is in the UK and it won't kill us to bend the rules slightly to accomodate her.

Maybe you should actually read what else I wrote about denominations of Islam and dress , it is as if the school is assuming that sone size fits all in Islam, the young woman is unhappy and wouldn't kick up a fuss for no reason would she?

If I were a Muslim and saw a "muslim friendly dress code" I would feel condescended that people had assumed our religious needs are all alike.
    Sorry but to me that just sounds biggoted, the whole "if you don't like it, clear off" atitude. One good thing about this country is the right to be able to practice our religion freely as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, there is no harm in this and it abides to International Law. How she is so lucky to live in the UK and be allowed to practice her religion as well as drive a car is irrelevent. She is not in Saudi, she is in the UK and it won't kill us to bend the rules slightly to accomodate her.

Maybe you should actually read what else I wrote about denominations of Islam and dress , it is as if the school is assuming that sone size fits all in Islam, the young woman is unhappy and wouldn't kick up a fuss for no reason would she?

If I were a Muslim and saw a "muslim friendly dress code" I would feel condescended that people had assumed our religious needs are all alike.

she was allowed to practice her religion, on the streets, in her home, and to the best the school would allow for - the school has a uniform code, and whether or not you like school uniform is beside the point in this argument, the point being, if there is to remain a uniform, when all but 1 student has been catered for strikes me as a bit absurd

mind if i ask, as klintok asked also, what makes an old religion more acceptable than a new one?

imo that girl is an attention seeking idiot who wants to be a 'better' muslim than the rest of people at her school, that isnt grounds for a change to their uniform, a school uniform is normally modest enough as it stands anyway, apart from the head part, which they catered for, thus making it ok
    Well, for example, should people wearing this sort of thing be allowed in a mall, since you can't go in wearing a baseball cap nowadays since it covers your face? I don't have a problem with people wearing what they want though I reckon this sounds like the usual teenage temper tantrum about having to follow rules, rather than a geniune case of religious discrimination. I'm sure this girl won't have a problem when she's going for a £10 an hour job that requires her to wear a uniform, or she wants to buy a CD in HMV.

On the general school uniform point though, I think it's kind of stupid that you have to wear a uniform to be honest. I can understand a shop or restaurant requiring a uniform since customers need to know who's a member of staff. But people have to go to school, you can't just quit because you don't like the uniform.

Incidentally, what do muslim girls do in PE?
    Incidentally, what do muslim girls do in PE?

from what i remember of school, wear jogging bottoms and jumpers normally, and sometimes a headscarve still, since the girls at my school never done any hard PE, we had the running in cold, even when i had a bloody chest infection :mad:

still modest enough for almost all muslims in this country then id assume
    Well, for example, should people wearing this sort of thing be allowed in a mall, since you can't go in wearing a baseball cap nowadays since it covers your face?

No one is threatening to imprison your parents if you don't go to the mall.
    I don't have a problem with people wearing what they want though I reckon this sounds like the usual teenage temper tantrum about having to follow rules, rather than a geniune case of religious discrimination

The rule is stupid. Stupid rules should be ignored. Rules should be for people, not the other way around.
    Kermit wrote:
    This case has already cost the taxpayer- that's you and me- over £300,000, and rising.

Are you seriously trying to claim that that is a great expenditure of money? Especially when divorced women can't even get legal aid to defend their family homes against their spouses?

The legal aid pot is very small as it is. Pissing it away on the frivolous demands of a stupid little teenage girl is nothing short of a national disgrace.

exactly, so it's not the 'stupid little teenage girl' you should be so angry at.
    katralla wrote:
    exactly, so it's not the 'stupid little teenage girl' you should be so angry at.

It is though- she launched a spurious and pointless claim, draining the money from the system.

Though I do agree with you a bit- the utter wanker at the Legal Services Commission who thought this case merited legal assistance should be shot.
    I explained the news story, you only dont like it because it wasnt you who posted it first or about black people, who are your usual targets as you seem to only know about black culture.
    klintock wrote:
    Great.

Your all crazy.

"They!" force her to go to a building to learn lies under threat of imprisoning her parents and you moan when she wants to put a hat on.
    Every site needs at least one flaming troll, to keep things from going stale :)
    klintock wrote:
    The rule is stupid. Stupid rules should be ignored. Rules should be for people, not the other way around.

I agree.

I'm amazed at the level of vitriol directed toward this girl, good grief.
    Every site needs at least one flaming troll, to keep things from going stale :)

:confused:

Something wrong with my statement?
    I agree.

That was also a rule, btw. :)
    the way i see it, you come to school to learn, not to practice religion. It's not like she couldn't wear it at all....the school had a muslim uniform.
    subject13 wrote:
    I explained the news story, you only dont like it because it wasnt you who posted it first or about black people, who are your usual targets as you seem to only know about black culture.

Shut up, you're making yourself look stupid.

You explained what the news story was about. I got that.

What the chuff it has to do with a schoolgirl complaining about a jilbab is beyond me. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

briggi, I don't think its vitriol to say that she has robbed you and me of well over £300,000, and the stupid little tart should pay it back. With interest.