Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The reasopn why prisons are full

It's because of this.

No wonder we have to let people out early on home detention curfew (by early I mean before half the sentence)- it's so we can jail people who don't drag their kids kicking and screaming to school!

Still, I hope Rotherham Council's taxpayers are delighted that their hard-earned wedge is being used to persecute people.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you gave them birth certificates, the state owns your children.

You just get equity rights.
    It is an extreme case, but it serves as a graphic reminder that it is the duty of all parents to ensure their children attend school, which is vital if children are to reach their full potential.

So send little Timmy to get brainwashed and broken or go to jail.

Theres good money in prisoners, they need feeding, clothing, lawyers, judges, guards, insurance and loads of other stuff you can use to borrow money off the back of.

It's in the states interest to create fear and solve no problems.
  • Options
    How exactly does a mother ensure that a 14 year old attends school if the girl doesn't want too?

Fair enough she may have done something wrong in the first place to let it get so bad but you can't send someone for prison for that surely.

having said that what would be an appropriate punishment? Community service?
  • Options
    Why should there be a punishment at all?

If the kid decides that school offers her nothing- and unless you're going to get a bagful of Cs at GCSE it doesn't- then what's the point of forcing her there?

Get her trained up to do something useful, something that she'd enjoy.

But The Government says you must go to school, so you will, or mummy gets it.
  • Options
    Well I would say that any 14 year old who doesn't go to school is going to be at a serious disadvantage. very few kids understand the benefit that school can bring when they are 14.
  • Options
    If they don't get education they're going to be in trouble.

There's far more to education than algebra though.

The biggest thing wrong with this country's education system is that this fact is not understood or appreciated.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How exactly does a mother ensure that a 14 year old attends school if the girl doesn't want too?

Fair enough she may have done something wrong in the first place to let it get so bad but you can't send someone for prison for that surely.

having said that what would be an appropriate punishment? Community service?
    True. The easy answer is to discipline them and teach them properly when they are younger. Once they reach 14/15 it will be very difficult to break the habits or routine they have gotten into.

There should be more of an emphasis on educating parents earlier on about the potential benfits of bringing their kids up a certain way, not punishing parents for how their kids have turned out.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There's far more to education than algebra though.

The biggest thing wrong with this country's education system is that this fact is not understood or appreciated.

This is, in a minor way happening, more and more 14 year olds are going out on extended work experience or day release to colleges to do vocational stuff. Its hardly ideal but there are other choices than just purely GCSE's now.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

If the kid decides that school offers her nothing- and unless you're going to get a bagful of Cs at GCSE it doesn't- then what's the point of forcing her there?

Or send them up a chimney :p
  • Options
    You know in Florida they have been known to release murderers early to make room for new inmates when prisons got too full.
  • Options
    theres only so much parents can do at the end of the day, you can't literally force a stubborn 14 year old to go to school
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    theres only so much parents can do at the end of the day, you can't literally force a stubborn 14 year old to go to school

Exactly.

Surely fines are better (or are they worse?) than being sent to prison?
  • Options
    surely the kid should be thrown in jail?
  • Options
    You can't say that Mr. Roll, it might lead to children taking control over their own education!

Which would be a bad thing, obviously. Nanny knows best.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

So your saying that the child should decide whether he/she goes to school? I think this comment is appaling, at this young age I don't believe the child will have matured enough to understand whether its a benefit to his/her life or not. I can totally understand the punishment.

As for sending her to prison I can understand your point about them being full but it isn't really justifiable in this case. The woman was warned twice with fines so how far does it go. Its unfair for the child to get no education because her mother wont send her to school.
  • Options
    Why not get to the bottom of why kids truant from school and deal with the problem surely that's better than chucking the parents in prison.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    As for sending her to prison I can understand your point about them being full but it isn't really justifiable in this case. The woman was warned twice with fines so how far does it go. Its unfair for the child to get no education because her mother wont send her to school.

The impression I got from reading the link was that the child DIDN'T want to go to school. So why are you saying that it's unfair for the child to not get education? :rolleyes: Also, it's possible to get an education (kind of anyway) without going to school. And I know this because I was told yesterday by someone in the Marines.
    Why not get to the bottom of why kids truant from school and deal with the problem surely that's better than chucking the parents in prison.

This I agree with.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:

How, physically, is the mother supposed to take the girl to school if she doesnt want to go that badly? Cattle prod?
  • Options
    How, physically, is the mother supposed to take the girl to school if she doesnt want to go that badly? Cattle prod?

Don't forget it's illegal for Mum to whack her kids.

So she is being asked to do something she probably can't actually do and then being punished for her inability.

What are her options?

1) Hit her kid to make her conform to someone elses wishes. She might not agree with those wishes, she might want her kid to go to school BUT either way, f she does raise her hand said kid can have her chucked in the clink. And ofc there is no guarantee it will do anything but harden the kids resolve.

2) Disown the kid. Chuck her onto the streets and let "child services" deal with her. Geat option this one. :rolleyes:

3) Go to prison.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    So your saying that the child should decide whether he/she goes to school?

Not exactly.

Though perhaps someone should have tried to find out why the child didn't go to school. It appears they didn't- notice the comments in mitigation. Surely if the family were nfa the education services should have realised something was up?
    I think this comment is appaling, at this young age I don't believe the child will have matured enough to understand whether its a benefit to his/her life or not. I can totally understand the punishment.

So you can understand punishing one person for the actions of another?
    The woman was warned twice with fines so how far does it go. Its unfair for the child to get no education because her mother wont send her to school.

And as other people have asked, how do you force an adult to go to school if they really really don't want to go?

This girl isn't four, you can't just pick her up.

And out of interest, how will the life of a teenage girl be improved by only getting to see her mother once a fortnight? I'm genuinely interested in understanding how someone can say separating a child from her mother is in her "best interest".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And out of interest, how will the life of a teenage girl be improved by only getting to see her mother once a fortnight? I'm genuinely interested in understanding how someone can say separating a child from her mother is in her "best interest".

Interestingly this is the very reason women cant be sent to jail for breaking child access rules.
  • Options
    most people i know of that truanted, had issues in their life like either bullying or family problems, both of which isnt the schools problem apparantly, utter shit really
  • Options
    It stinks.

There was a case in Darlington of a woman jailed because her daughter refused to go to school. Oddly enough, the daughter was bullied at school.

But schools don't have bullying problems, so off to jail goes mummy.
  • Options
    If prisons are full, build some more. Why is such a concept anathema to our liberal establish... ah, 'liberal'... that explains it...
    Kermit wrote:
    It stinks. There was a case in Darlington of a woman jailed because her daughter refused to go to school. Oddly enough, the daughter was bullied at school. But schools don't have bullying problems, so off to jail goes mummy.
    Headteachers seem to live in another world. No school in the history of the world ever has had a bullying problem, the way some of them go on.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If prisons are full, build some more. Why is such a concept anathema to our liberal establish... ah, 'liberal'... that explains it...

Because they dont bloody work!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Because they dont bloody work!
    True. And why don't they work? Because they're full and under-staffed. Build more prisons.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    True. And why don't they work? Because they're full and under-staffed. Build more prisons.

But there is no correlation between prison numbers and crime rates, just look at the US vs. Canada for example or any other bloody country on Earth.

Just putting someone in a metal box for a few years does not solve the problem.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

That's very simple, and not in the good way.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:

Or just STOP CLOSING THEM. ffs, its as bad as the rate they are closing hospitals.
  • Options
    Heads and LEAs have gone power crazy. I took my daughter into school 1.5 hours late two weeks ago and was threatened with court ffs. The threat came after I explained that I had a bad migraine and had tried to arrange for someone else to take her (my mother, who couldn't because sh'e a nurse and HAS to go into work) and that I wasn't bringing her in while my head hurt to much to walk and I wasn't sure if I could get anyone to pick her up... I asked my LEA and they have percentage unuathorised absense guidelines before they take someone to court and they're supposed to be proving wilfull absense, therefore if a mother does all they can to get their child to school then they shouldn't be prosecuted.

My last two years at school, I had 13% attendance and putting my parents in jail would not have made it any higher!
  • Options
    I've been to prison ...a nimber of times.
    i deserved to be there ...i got caught.

for any of you who think it's a breeze ....if you ever get three months ...three weeks ...or three days ...for being to hard up to pay the poll tax or whatever it's called now ...remember this ...
    if your in for whats known as a shit and a shave ...six months or less ...don't dare gripe about your lot in life.
    and ...short termers always get put in with long termers ...the long termer can't get a short termer to hatcyh an escape plan.

you realy have no idea ....