Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Privacy..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If someone had something on their medical records that was private and they didnt want anyone to know but had a friend who was a Doctor, could that friend who is a Doctor have a look at their medical records without that someone's permission?

I know its probably morrally/ethically (is that a word) wrong, but can they do it?! :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm guessing that a doctor can look at anyones medical records and doesn't need permission from that person.
    I'm sure they'd have access to it, and would probably be able to do it without permission. They would of course not be able to tell anyone about it still.
    Anyone with access to the medical records can look at them. I'm not sure if there are rules prohibiting doctors from reading about people they have a personal connection with though.
    There are rules and protocols that mean a doctor should only look at the medical records of his patients. There isn't a law that says he can't look at other people's records, and in practice it'd be hard to monitor, but the T&Cs of his employment say it is a serious disciplinary offence to just pry around.

If he did have a pry he wouldn't tell you, as you could get him in very deep hot water.

He would still be bound by the Data Protection Act- he wouldn't be able to go and tell his mates about that embarrassing problem you have.
    If someone had something on their medical records that was private and they didnt want anyone to know but had a friend who was a Doctor, could that friend who is a Doctor have a look at their medical records without that someone's permission?

I know its probably morrally/ethically (is that a word) wrong, but can they do it?! :confused:
    As others have said, any doctor who discloses a patient's confidential medical record without permission or without reasonable grounds would almost certainly lose their job and career.

It depends if you're talking about a GP or a hospital doctor. It's reasonable for any GP in a group practice to look at medical notes of any patient who they see even if they are not the regular GP, and notes are audited anonymously for quality control as a matter of routine. Hospital doctors have no business looking at notes of people who are not under their care, and with the exception of audits in which all data is anonymised, they would be risking their career by requesting notes of friends, or friends of friends.

What's the situation?

ps Everything on your medical record is "private".