Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Todays Budget

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Looks like education came out on top with todays budget. Apart form the increased spending the main point I'm pleased with is the free training up to Alevel for 25's and under.

Personally I made a mess of my time at school and trying to train up and work at the same time has cost alot both in time and money so anything that can help me and everyone else get the skills they want under their belt is a very good thing
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They have been and will continue to totally bugger adult learners though.
    I'm really happy about the reduction of VAT from 17.5% to 5% on condoms, which will hurt the Governments income via taxs, but in the long run it should benefit everyone.
    As they will become more affordable to the young and those on low incomes, thus hopefully resulting in less unwanted pregancies and terminations and will help to decrease the rate at which STI are being spread, which will reduce the burden upon the NHS.

Just a same it will not come into force until 1st July.
    Little_one wrote:
    I'm really happy about the reduction of VAT from 17.5% to 5% on condoms, which will hurt the Governments income via taxs, but in the long run it should benefit everyone.

Its hardly a huge thing is it, they could reduce it to 0% and the government wouldnt really miss it.
    True, but its a start in the right direction, I read somewhere that it would cost them about £10 million a year.

I've just been doing some sums and its about 30p off a pack of 3 74p off a pact of 12 and about £1 of a pack of 18, it not much at all when you look at it like that. Whereas it would be £1.80 of a pack of 18 if there was no tax at all.