Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aint it great we invaded afghanistan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4823874.stm
An Afghan man is being tried in a court in the capital, Kabul, for converting from Islam to Christianity.

Abdul Rahman is charged with rejecting Islam and could face the death sentence under Sharia law unless he recants.

He converted 16 years ago as an aid worker helping refugees in Pakistan. His estranged family denounced him in a custody dispute over his two children.

It is thought to be Afghanistan's first such trial, reflecting tensions between conservative clerics and reformists.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "We will invite him again because the religion of Islam is one of tolerance. We will ask him if he has changed his mind. If so we will forgive him," the judge told the BBC on Monday.

so islam is tolerant, yet we will kill you if you dont convert back?

jeez im scared for that country
  • Options
    mmmm religious extremism gotta love the people who'll kill you because they think their imaginary friend is better than yours.
  • Options
    Freedumb!
  • Options
    Great, now we have a stronger Taliban and more opium than the Worlds ever seen, thats a great success.
  • Options
    They already execute people in Saudi Arabia for converting to Christianity, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing so in southern Iraq within a few years. Freedom's great, innit...;)

I don't think the problem's Islam itself so much anyway, but the evil fucks who've insisted on a fundamentalist approach to it and want to go back to the Middle Ages - I'm pretty sure the Bible contains instructions on how to deal with unbelievers as harsh as anything in the Koran.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Great, now we have a stronger Taliban and more opium than the Worlds ever seen, thats a great success.

Yep - and the Northern Alliance are just the Taliban with different coloured turbans anyway.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I don't think the problem's Islam itself so much anyway, but the evil fucks who've insisted on a fundamentalist approach to it and want to go back to the Middle Ages - I'm pretty sure the Bible contains instructions on how to deal with unbelievers as harsh as anything in the Koran.
    ^ WRONG! The problem IS Islam.

It is clearly stated in numerous authentic Hadiths that "prophet" Muhammad ordered apostates to be killed. This is Shariah Law. Every single famous apostate that I know of is living with a death threat hanging over their heads and under police protection.

Eg... Salman Rushdie, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Taslima Nasrin, Anwar Sheikh, Mark A. Gabriel, ... etc.

Just because the Bible may instruct you to deal harshly with apostates... does the excuse the fact that Islam orders apostates to be killed?
    That is a LOGICAL FALLACY (known as tu quoque I believe).

I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing people saying things like:

"Oh its only a minority of Muslims who think like this.... Islam is actually a PEACEFUL religon"... :banghead:
  • Options
    Psychotic Bible-bashing fundamentalist Christians kill doctors and firebomb abortion clinics in the USA because they think their God wants them to. Is the problem Christianity, or the psychos?
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    "Oh its only a minority of Muslims who think like this.... Islam is actually a PEACEFUL religon"... :banghead:

But it is, the problem is because the Koran is more political than the Bible there are more passages in there which are useful if you want to have justification for extreme views.

The Old Testiment is full of that sort of stuff to, its just there is the New Testiment which mellows it. This isnt the case with the Koran.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing people saying things like:

Only a minority of Muslims agree with the fundamentalists who want to kill unbelievers. Most Muslims are peaceful people, and most countries with Muslim majorities are peaceful countries. All the Muslim countries I've been to seemed like quite tolerant and pleasant places.

If the truth makes you want to bang your head on a brick wall then you should try re-examining your prejudices.
  • Options
    The problem is the religion.

All false beliefs lead to arrogant, stupid actions, usually in their defence.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray.... I AGREE that the majority of Muslims are peaceful human beings.

But what I DON'T agree with is the statement.... 'Islam is a peaceful religion'.

I do NOT hate Muslims. I am an apostate myself, therefore my whole family and most of my friends are Muslims...... so how can I hate Muslims?

I love going to Pakistan, and I go there once every few years.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Rubbish, the religion is an excuse, if it wasnt that it would be something else.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=sanitize Just because the Bible may instruct you to deal harshly with apostates... does the excuse the fact that Islam orders apostates to be killed? [/QUOTE]

The Bible orders the killing of people who don't listen to priests, fortunetellers, women who aren't virgins on their wedding night, homosexuals, adulterers, unbelievers, blasphemers, and infidels. In Deuteronomy, the order is that if one person in a town follows a different god, than the entire population of the town should be killed and the town itself burnt to the ground never rebuilt.

Christianity's just as psychotically violent at heart as Islam or any other religion.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    The word "the" was unecessary.
    The problem is religion, in general.
    klintock wrote:
    True^
  • Options
    We shold have gone into afghanistan and Iraq with money, as in a McDonalds in every town, computers, access to the net, lots of DVD players and movies from america! Lots and lots lots of western creature comforts. completely over load the countries with western stuff, music and everything and blind them with what looks goood, then there wouldnt be as many West haters.
  • Options
    We shold have gone into afghanistan and Iraq with money, as in a McDonalds in every town, computers, access to the net, lots of DVD players and movies from america! Lots and lots lots of western creature comforts. completely over load the countries with western stuff, music and everything and blind them with what looks goood, then there wouldnt be as many West haters.

They aren't buying what you are selling. Neither am I.
  • Options
    subject13

Yeah, that worked in Russia. Where life expectancy has fallen since the collapse of the old regime.
  • Options
    Carpet-bomb them with Big Macs, romantic comedies starring Meg Ryan, and the music of Westlife? I think the Geneva Convention prevents that kind of thing...(not that anybody pays much attention to it anymore).
  • Options
    To hell with e Geneva convention, more Meg Ryan for he middle east i say!

Come on, Russia is still poor as hell and cant afford anything. Plus they drink themselves to death a lot more.

Westernisation worked for Japan and North Korea, that is the kind of Americanisation im proposing!
  • Options
    Yeah, that worked in Russia. Where life expectancy has fallen since the collapse of the old regime.

Yup. You can't take a soceity that has been turned into automatons and expect them to behave like normal rational people straight away.

The more dependence on the state there is, the worse everyone suffers.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    Voodoo Ray.... I AGREE that the majority of Muslims are peaceful human beings.

But what I DON'T agree with is the statement.... 'Islam is a peaceful religion'.
    Not less so than Christianity.

So I'm all for exposing the more unpleasant side of religions... but let's not pretend one is worse than the other eh?
  • Options
    ^ Hang on a sec....

I'm not the one who brought 'Christianity' into this discussion in the first place. I don't know why we're discussing Christianity AT ALL.

I've never read the Bible and quite frankly... I don't see how reading the Bible will justify the fact that Islam orders apostates to be killed. Do you?

I understand where you're coming from...... but what I DO know about Christianity is that it has reformed.

Muslims however are STILL being killed for leaving Islam. Muslims believe that the Quran is the literal word of God.... and correct me if I'm wrong, this isn't the case with the Bible is it?

I'm not here to argue with anyone btw. Look forward to your reply.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    Muslims believe that the Quran is the literal word of God.... and correct me if I'm wrong, this isn't the case with the Bible is it?

It depends entirely who you ask, both Muslims and Christians will say that either passages are of the period and not now applicable or that the whole thing is totally and completely the Word of God. Islam is definately not unique in that.
  • Options
    I understand where you're coming from...... but what I DO know about Christianity is that it has reformed.

I think what has happened is that most people have just started to ignore it because it's obvious bollocks. Those who believe in other books over their common sense and senses haven't had the same "waking up" process yet.
    Muslims however are STILL being killed for leaving Islam. Muslims believe that the Quran is the literal word of God.... and correct me if I'm wrong, this isn't the case with the Bible is it?

Yep. If those who believe in it had any sort of power then it very definitely would be. They don't, but don't kid yourself. If some of the bible bashers had their way we'd have gays boiled in oil, unmarried mothers stoned and all the sad rest of it.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    ^ Hang on a sec....

I'm not the one who brought 'Christianity' into this discussion in the first place. I don't know why we're discussing Christianity AT ALL.

I've never read the Bible and quite frankly... I don't see how reading the Bible will justify the fact that Islam orders apostates to be killed. Do you?

I'm not here to argue with anyone btw. Look forward to your reply.
    That doesn't mean that Islam is a religion of violence any more than any other mainstream religion, does it?

It's not the religion that does the violence. It's a very small minority of lunatics who claim to act in its name.

Are you aware that the Bible asks to you kill your neighbour if you see him working on the Sabbath, amongst many other similar stupidities?

The only difference between those two religions is that some Christians are no longer slaughterinig those who were seen as heretics, whereas there are still Muslims out there who do it to 'unbelievers'. But let's make it clear that no religion is more violent than the other. At least amongst the big three anyway.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the Bible contains instructions on how to deal with unbelievers as harsh as anything in the Koran.

Not sure enough. You're wrong.
  • Options
    After 5 seconds googling, I am now 100% sure that the Bible contains instructions on how to deal with unbelievers as harsh as anything in the Koran.

Evilbible.com may not be the most unbiased website in the world but they sure know their scriptures!

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm
  • Options
    Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT

So if somebody in the next town is worshipping a different god to you, you have to go to that town, kill everybody in it, kill their livestock, burn their possessions, and then burn the whole town to the ground, and make sure nothing is ever built on that ground again. Nice and tolerant.

Reminds me of De Niro's Al Capone in The Untouchables..."I want them dead! I want their pets dead! I want their town burnt to the ground!!" :D
  • Options
    That's judaism, which I'll admit is a seems like a poor arguement, but still an important distinction.

You are definatly right though, even if you did find it somewhere a bit dodgy.