Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

plans after uni

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    True Lucifer, but the key is in what you said, quite a number of people do it, and thats all covered by media and such and its genearlly seen as a way to get laid, get pissed and put off deciding on a career.

In some circles anyway.
    no its not!!
    lol!!!

Ok!!! In some circles it is!!

I guess some employers like it though.

Expensive tho :(
    Walkindude wrote:
    lol!!!

Ok!!! In some circles it is!!

I guess some employers like it though.

Expensive tho :(
    employers will look on gap years in a positive light as long as you can show them development. so after i've been travelling i'll be able to say that i gained independence, maturity, i learnt a new language, i experienced and learnt about new cultures. if i work (which i might even take a tefl course to teach english) then that is also good because i'll have new skills. especially teaching because it shows leadership skills which employers really value.

its just like anything you put on your cv.. you pick out all the things employers want to hear and leave out what they don't.
    I suppose so.

its deicdieng what to do and wear to go though.

I couldn't learn another language though, not very skiled with langauages I'm afraid.
    That's me convinced then, travelling it is :D
    Walkindude wrote:
    I suppose so.

its deicdieng what to do and wear to go though.

I couldn't learn another language though, not very skiled with langauages I'm afraid.

you'd have to learn a little in some places to get by. even if it's just the basics. obviously not for somewhere english speaking or where they know a little bit of english.

if you want to go travelling and get pissed then go for it, they're not gonna know are they! (your future employers i mean).
    i do fine art, im only in my first year, but afterwards i want to go on to do a teaching degree and go into secondary school art teaching
    you'd have to learn a little in some places to get by. even if it's just the basics. obviously not for somewhere english speaking or where they know a little bit of english.

if you want to go travelling and get pissed then go for it, they're not gonna know are they! (your future employers i mean).

well I can often mimick the language, like if you give me a word in another language, I can say it really well and they would understand it, but my probably is the listening and understanding.

I can never understand another language, only bits and pieces, it never sticks. So I could learn words but if they replied in their language, its doubtful I'd understand it.

true, they would never know if I didn't put it down I gues :chin:

Not sure about travelling though.
    what makes you say this, did you study it??

i'm interested in probation/youth rehabilitation/probation work so actually it'll be very useful.

Yeah I did 3 units as a third subject.

Don't you need a social work qualification to do that stuff? I know some universities offer social work courses but there's quite restrictive entrance requirements...over 21 only etc.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Yeah I did 3 units as a third subject.

Don't you need a social work qualification to do that stuff? I know some universities offer social work courses but there's quite restrictive entrance requirements...over 21 only etc.

nope you don't - you can get into a wide variety of careers with criminology and s.p. i'm also interested in victim support which i'd also be able to do. which units did you do?
    nope you don't - you can get into a wide variety of careers with criminology and s.p. i'm also interested in victim support which i'd also be able to do. which units did you do?

Can't remember what the units were but i know they involved social inequality & welfare. Had the option to do a criminology unit but declined.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Can't remember what the units were but i know they involved social inequality & welfare. Had the option to do a criminology unit but declined.

the units probably weren't the ones that i do then.
    I'm first year French and German student. I'm planning to just get as much experience as possible (work in hotels, do sightseeing buses, writing stuff) and then I *think* I want to do something jouralismy. but none of this is certain, obviously i could jsut fulfil my dream and bugger off to disney land and work there nyay.
    woo i can say quite confidently I have no f*ing clue what I plan to do after uni :D

I have two more years to work out a plan so i'm not to bothered at the moment
    If I graduate, which at the moment looks unlikely :(, and get accepted for the PGDE then I will be moving to Aberdeen and doing that.
    If not I'll be moving to Aberdeen and probably working in the scummy Travel Inn for the rest of my life :p
    I am still undecided whether I'm going to proceed to do a masters. It depends on whether I find something specialized enough to amount to anything special. Accounting is still a possibility although I don't really want to do that for the rest of my life.

I also want to give the entry exams for air traffic controlling a try. I was too young the last time they were held (six bloody months, grr) and I have no idea when they'll be offered again. Might be next autumn, might be in two years. :( But it's just one of the things I want to have tried. If I fail then that'll be the end of it.

What I don't want to do is to end up working a shitty job with no future if I don't continue studying after I graduate. But I am twitching a bit because I fear the economy my crumble in the near future. Virtually no unemployment and the majority of the nation affording to do whatever the hell they want seems just too good to be true in the long run.

I want to go abroad at some point.