Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best place to live when at Uni?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry, can't read...
  • Options
    You should be far enough away so they can't come and see you out of the blue, but close enough so you can go and grovel for money if necessary ;) And going back for nice food is also a good idea!
    Well, how many miles away from home should you be, then?
    dr_carter wrote:
    Why would you want your parents to come and see you out of the blue? You might have a nurse in your bedroom...
    And on seeing that, your mum turns blue... :p
  • Options
    Before I went to uni my mum gave me an invaluable piece of advice:

She said to me 'son, if you dip it, keep it covered'.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Before I went to uni my mum gave me an invaluable piece of advice: She said to me "son, if you dip it, keep it covered".
    I think I understand that...
  • Options
    i'd recommend to not go to a local uni. but that's just my experience/opinion.

i come home every weekend from uni to work (and get my washing done/a tasty meal cooked by my mum inside me) - it's about a 45 minute drive.

i've always lived around the city i'm at uni in so it doesn't really feel like i'm in a 'new' place. plus it's quite a small city - but it has it's advantages, too.
  • Options
    Thing is, with London it's perfectly feasible to go to uni here and yet be miles from home and have the proper experience... hence London doesn't follow the rule.
  • Options
    My home city is an hour's train journey or drive from where I am now. And that's about perfect in my opinion!
  • Options
    Yep - hour, hour and a half is good.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Thing is, with London it's perfectly feasible to go to uni here and yet be miles from home and have the proper experience... hence London doesn't follow the rule.
    London's a completely different world.
    My home city is an hour's train journey or drive from where I am now. And that's about perfect in my opinion!
    An hour? My nearest is three hours away! Dear oh dear...
  • Options
    I can travel for an hour and a half in one direction and move about twenty miles away. In the other direction I can be in Brighton.

I love London!
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I love London!
    I do too, but probably not for the same reasons. I almost applied to study at the University of Westminster - I'm kinda wishing I had now. :(
  • Options
    University of Westminster - i'm pretty certain their 1st VIII almost rowed straight into us last Sunday!
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    University of Westminster - i'm pretty certain their 1st VIII almost rowed straight into us last Sunday!
    You won't find me rowing in the Thames! :p
  • Options
    Well an hour was ideal for me originally, because I my ex-girlfriend was back home so it wasn't too long for me or her to travel and see eachother. If I didn't have the same ties I probably would have looked a bit further afield! Three hours is fine, you won't need to go home much anyway. ;)
  • Options
    Three hours is fine, you won't need to go home much anyway. ;)
    I hope not!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i moved out of home at 18 and was really nervous, but now i'm in my mid-twenties and the thought of living with my parents again strikes terror into my heart because i've grown so used to doing things my own way. when i go back home at christmas and my mum wants to know what time i'll be coming home from the pub, i want to throttle her.
    same as me!!
    thats why im really NOT looking forward to going back to live at home when i finish this june. i'm gona lose so much independence.. and i wont be able to do naughty things.. :(
  • Options
    yeah of course it affects your experience. Its no where near as good as moving away I am sure.

I wasn't prepared for uni when I went in. I did my GCSE's and I knew I was gonna do A-levels, then int he middle of A-levels it was like "you have to rpepare to go to uni now". I'd never realy thought about it. I looked around and did th ereseach a bit, settle don law and was considering moving away, then the whole expense thing got to me a bit and stuff and more I read about what u look for in uni, the more I thought I had it here. You want a good uni with a good rep and a big city with night life. Well Leds already had all that so I though, why not stay? Not point moving an dusing up all that money, so I did. I didn't get into law but did get ino leed uni and went. I had a mate with me on the course so I wasn't lonely or owt like that. Alway shad someone to work with and such.

But then the social isde failed a bit. When I started I was ill int he firts week during all the fresher stuff , so I didnt hang around much or go on nights out. First year now one spoke that much, just in seminars and then by 2nd year I tried striking ou tmore but cliques were already formed and people had their mates and stuff so it never really happend.

I mean there wer epople I talked to regualr, but only at the uni, never outside and now I have left I only have 2 people on my phone from uni. One who Inever got to meet and naothe rin lond who I never hear from.

One the plus side, I only had to take out 1 year of a student loan to buy a laptop so I only have a few grand worth of debt compared to the over 10 k's that eveyone else has.

Yeah it is best to move away and many times I wish I had. Tho not sure how I'd compe with the money worries.
  • Options
    I don't know whether this is true, but I keep being told that freshers week is absolutely essential for making friends. I suppose that if you can't go, people are gonna look at you when lectures start and think "who's he? We didn't see him last week", aren't they?

From reading this thread, the choice seems to be - (1) move away from home and get saddled in debt; (2) live at home but not take part in the university life. What an inspring choice! :(
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    without exception, ALL of the people i met in freshers' week i am no longer in touch with; the real friends i made at uni were the ones i met later on. you may meet some fab people who you are friends with for life, but in all likelihood, you'll just find a few people to go and get pissed with and the real proper friends come along later. so don't be too anxious, freshers' week is not the be all and end all, whatever you hear.
    That's a relief, to say the least.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't know whether this is true, but I keep being told that freshers week is absolutely essential for making friends. I suppose that if you can't go, people are gonna look at you when lectures start and think "who's he? We didn't see him last week", aren't they?

From reading this thread, the choice seems to be - (1) move away from home and get saddled in debt; (2) live at home but not take part in the university life. What an inspring choice! :(

you'll still more than likely be debt ridden even if you live at home. your loan is means tested so they'll take into account that you won't be paying rent (though your parents might want a bit off you) therefore you'll get less loan.
  • Options
    you'll still more than likely be debt ridden even if you live at home. your loan is means tested so they'll take into account that you won't be paying rent (though your parents might want a bit off you) therefore you'll get less loan.
    I noticed the discrepancies, but what I wonder is - how many parents who have their kids going through uni, but staying at home, charge them rent? And if they do, is it the same cost as renting in halls of residence/shared housing? Me suspects not.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I noticed the discrepancies, but what I wonder is - how many parents who have their kids going through uni, but staying at home, charge them rent? And if they do, is it the same cost as renting in halls of residence/shared housing? Me suspects not.

i doubt they'd charge the same as halls etc would. not sure whether my mum would be i'd try and chip in with the food.

when i move back after uni and get a full time job i'll be paying some rent. maybe £20-30 a week or something.
  • Options
    i doubt they'd charge the same as halls etc would. not sure whether my mum would be i'd try and chip in with the food. when i move back after uni and get a full time job i'll be paying some rent. maybe £20-30 a week or something.
    Move back? Why would anyone want to move back in with their parents?
  • Options
    When I leave uni I don't think I'm ever going back home. I'm considering using my savings to get a place of my own as soon as I leave in a city where I can get a job.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    When I leave uni I don't think I'm ever going back home. I'm considering using my savings to get a place of my own as soon as I leave in a city where I can get a job.
    Too right. I haven't even started university yet and I'm pretty determined to make sure I don't come back here after it!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

you'll find that many people do this after uni to save money to start renting/get their own place.

i have a job here that i'll be able to keep when i finish so it'll be a job to keep me ticking over while i find another one.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    you do ask some stupid questions.

i myself am moving back home after university because it will be rent-free and i need to save money so that i can go travelling.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    you do ask some stupid questions. i myself am moving back home after university because it will be rent-free and i need to save money so that i can go travelling.
    In other words, you're a cheapskate. Yup... :rolleyes: