Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you go for a better education or what courses u want to do?? help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey all, first post, ive been looking for a student forums for ages and ive finally found it.
Anyways im in 6th form doing more gcses next year im going to go a levels. The problem is i dont know weather to go to colllege or stay at 6th form.

The 6th form will give me a better education, but the college offers communication and media studies. Which i want to do for my career goal (public relations), do i go for a better education or what i want to do? this is 2 years of my life remember. Also6th form rules i hate, the uniform, not alot of study leave, but i jjust dont know what to do :(
Please help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well the main issue in my opinion is: do you want to spend your entire life in public relations? Is there any possibility you'll want to change career, you'll get sick of it after a while?

If you're sure that public relations will be you forever and you'll love it - go for the college, you'll get where you want to be quicker. If you have doubts at all - go for the sixth form, because at the end of the day you'll be much better placed should you want to change your career path.
    Hmm good advice, i was leaning towards college but tht has made it more even. :S so confused. If i did go college and changed career plans , would it be the end of the world?
    I have back up plans, like if i decide i dont want debt i can go to my local uni and do tourism or nursing for around 160-200 ucas points.
    Do college students get really bad results or something? Im only aiming for Cs and i think my 3 subjects (media, communications, sociology) are some of the easiet around.

The 6th form only offer sociology, and its 2 years of my life, its a risk and i dislike some of the people in my year. But having a better education Sticks out like a sore thumb .
    It wouldn't be the end of the world but it's either 2 years now or 2 years later on when things are a lot harder - suppose you're married, have kids to support etc...

I'd be really inclined to go for sixth form even if you do dislike some of the people in your year - there's no risk in covering all your bases, and seriously - another 2 years with no responsibility - i'd take it now! So what if you do dislike some people - no-one's forcing you to spend any time with them if you don't want to. You'll probably end up disliking some people at college too - you can't love everyone!
    why will a 6th form give you a better education?!
    jonjoe wrote:
    i dislike some of the people in my year.

Which is a really stupid reason NOT to go to 6th form... :rolleyes: Whose to say that everyone in your year will stay on? And you'll probably get people from other schools joining 6th form where you are now as well, I found this. I also hated some of the people in my year but it didn't stop me from thinking about whether I wanted to stay on or not...
    It's not necessarily the case that 6th form gives a better education. Although I stayed on at sixth form in my school, lots of my friends went to college and most of them did really well there. I think the main difference, although I may be wrong here, is that in sixth form you may get more support from the teachers. Schools are under so much pressure these days to get good results that they tend to spoon feed pupils alot. At college you're treated more independently in terms of studying - you're taught the course but it's up to you whether or not you do the work or attend classes. Therefore if you're willing to put the effort in yourself, there's no reason why you wouldn't do as well as if you went to sith form. Some people even do better at college than they possibly would at school as the independent atmosphere suits them better. You can't really ask us which would be better for you as we don't know you. It really depends on your work style, although in my opinion the subject choices are very important consideration and you may well do better studying the subjects that you enjoy than taking random ones just because you perceive the teaching to be better.
    I had this dilema at the end of my GCSEs and i decided to do my A levels in the sixth form. I only ended up doing English lit as i dropped the rest and although i enjoyed it it has no relation to what i want to do (veterinary) so i feel it was a waste of two years. I am at college now doing an animal care course which i love and i think everyday how i should have done it instead of A levels especially as it is equivalnt to three a levels.
    trust me stay in school, i went co college for 3 days and it had put me off for life, true college ahs more options, but school is cool, i mean the teacher really do care about you and there is a more of a rapport between the teachers and kids, i mean in college i bet they can barely rememebr your name. college = hell, its mainly for people hwo care more about their social life IMHO!!! im so glad i decided to go to a 6th form!!! made the biggest difference in terms of education!!!
    Also remember that if you do go to 6th Form instead of college, you'll know some/most of the teachers there and they'll more than likely know you as well.
    every time i see a neg comment about college i wnt to argue with it, does tht mean i realli wnt to go to college.

id rather study courses i wnt to do , than maybe have better teaching and closer communications with the teachers at 6th form but hate the subject and lose intrest.

ive done a yr of 6th form and not hated it but do not like it very much. i still have 3-4 months, but im keeping my options open and applying for both.

Also because im doing gcse's im treated very differently than last yr, in two of my subjects i have had to do all the work on my own, in maths our books are never checked and ict i did get help. Im prepared for either, i just need to think some more. x