Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Has anyone heard about the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This will pass and sit there relatively un-used for a while, then it will start to be used more and more often.

To be frank I think there's a good market for fascism in this country, to clean up those 'yobs' in hoodies who are terrorising the Daily Mail readers. Lets face it most voters dont care about their rights because they can never imagine a government abusing them.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What stops a minister removing parliament entirely with their first action of using this bill?

Ahhhhhh......!

It's a bill with no limits.

Whats better is that the few limits that are in place (no incarceration for more than 2 years, no raise in taxes etc) can all be changed by...using the power of this Bill once it is passed.

Hello Enabling Act! Bye bye Parliamentary Deomcracy. We would mourn thee, but X-Factor is on...
  • Options
    where are the protests?

Too busy. "Little Billy has the flu, and Cindy needs to have her nappy changed...oh, wait, Eastenders is on. Perhaps we can protest later."
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    This will pass and sit there relatively un-used for a while, then it will start to be used more and more often.

To be frank I think there's a good market for fascism in this country, to clean up those 'yobs' in hoodies who are terrorising the Daily Mail readers. Lets face it most voters dont care about their rights because they can never imagine a government abusing them.

Yup. Most people would say let them have it. The trains will run on time, the streets will be safe and the country will be cleaned up. "Law and order", just like the good old days...*spits*. Why should they worry, after all? They pay their taxes and obey the law, no Government wants to harm them, right (haha, suckers)? And the people who disagree are too isolated politically or physically to fight it.
  • Options
    im currently in process of deciding whether or not to organise a protest at parliament, ill happily get arrested for it since imo im not doing anything

think ill do it once im done for the uni year though

quoting the EU human rights which we are signed up to
    Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and to freedom of association at all levels,
    in particular in political, trade union and civic matters, which implies the right of everyone to form and
    to join trade unions for the protection of his or her interests.

coupled with the freedom of thought means unorganised peaceful protest by all rights shouldn't be illegal at parliament
  • Options
    I wouldnt. Once you are arrested you will be on file and under watch if your movements coincide with Government or New Labour business. If you want to get back, be sneaky. F'r instance, if you were to ask me, I could tell you a nasty little trick that would cost millions for the Government in plumbing. After all, they still have public tours around parts of the House of Commons, right? And there are toilets to use... Civil disobedience of the other sort just brings you to the attention of the wrong people. And accomplishes very little. Mine does too, but at least I'll go down laughing.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    I wouldnt. Once you are arrested you will be on file and under watch if your movements coincide with Government or New Labour business. If you want to get back, be sneaky. F'r instance, if you were to ask me, I could tell you a nasty little trick that would cost millions for the Government in plumbing. After all, they still have public tours around parts of the House of Commons, right? And there are toilets to use... Civil disobedience of the other sort just brings you to the attention of the wrong people. And accomplishes very little. Mine does too, but at least I'll go down laughing.

Cost the government millions? It's our taxes they are using.

This is a freaking crazy bill, why is noone protesting?
  • Options

Why aren't you protesting?
  • Options
    Isn't the name of the bill itself very misleading. "Legislative and Regulatory Reform"? It sounds just like a formality. Instead, it will allow Tony "Fuhrer" Blair to change the laws laid down by the "Houses of Reichstag". This has to be crushed at all costs.
  • Options

This is your wake up call: They use them anyway. But if you want to look for reasons to "make a statement" rather than do anything effective, thats your problem.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

"But...but...maybe I can protest after Neighbours is finished?"

gay.gif
    lol.giffag.gif

And people why Government gets away with literal murder at times. Its because we let them.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Isn't the name of the bill itself very misleading. "Legislative and Regulatory Reform"? It sounds just like a formality. Instead, it will allow Tony "Fuhrer" Blair to change the laws laid down by the "Houses of Reichstag". This has to be crushed at all costs.

Because if you make it sound boring, no-one will pay attention. Its as simple as that. Peasants have a short attention span.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Because if you make it sound boring, no-one will pay attention. Its as simple as that. Peasants have a short attention span.
    And we know there are no peasants in the Cabinet, don't we? Though plenty of interest in hedge funds, offshore accounts, tax avoidance schemes and so on exists.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

very clever method, that why when we had the falklands thing going on, mrs thatcher made sure her most dull minister gave announcements simply because noone would be bothered to listen to it all
  • Options
    very clever method, that why when we had the falklands thing going on, mrs thatcher made sure her most dull minister gave announcements simply because noone would be bothered to listen to it all
    If you want to make sure nobody listens to a government announcement, get Patricia Hewitt to make it. Or Alistair Darling.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If you want to make sure nobody listens to a government announcement, get Patricia Hewitt to make it. Or Alistair Darling.

voila

or the other classic tactic is to put the dull titled bill through whilst a media frenzy one is cough cough education

or for the CC act, foxhunting ban
  • Options
    voila
    or the other classic tactic is to put the dull titled bill through whilst a media frenzy one is cough cough education... or for the CC act, foxhunting ban
    I wonder what bad news the Government was burying when Tessa Jowell was being put through the grinder recently...
  • Options
    What I find amusing is stargalaxy's belief that the tory's would be any better.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What I find amusing is stargalaxy's belief that the tory's would be any better.
    Actually, I don't. They're just as bad as the current lot.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Actually, I don't. They're just as bad as the current lot.

so whats your answer then?
  • Options
    the opposition parties arent even claiming they're less corrupt, thats the state of british politics, despite what they say - they like apathy
  • Options
    the opposition parties arent even claiming they're less corrupt, thats the state of british politics, despite what they say - they like apathy
    When the nation was laughing at the state of David Mills' finances a few weeks ago, remember the non-reaction from the Tories? Notice the fact they only said vague things like "oh, this needs to be clarified by the minister in the Commons". Nothing like "what the hell is he up to, putting money in these accounts. And what the hell is Blair doing accepting hospitality from a sleazebag like Berlusconi?". What are the Tories trying to hide? Are they partial to offshore accounts as well?
  • Options
    of course they are. the whole systems corrupt
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Apathy? Lack of initiative?

Why aren't people who usually protest about such things protesting?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    When the nation was laughing at the state of David Mills' finances a few weeks ago, remember the non-reaction from the Tories? Notice the fact they only said vague things like "oh, this needs to be clarified by the minister in the Commons". Nothing like "what the hell is he up to, putting money in these accounts. And what the hell is Blair doing accepting hospitality from a sleazebag like Berlusconi?". What are the Tories trying to hide? Are they partial to offshore accounts as well?

Because they have a nice little arrangement, which is convienient to keep. Being part of the elite, they may have the chance to use this law to, to their benefit.

Oh, and they probably have the same major corporate backers too. Thats another reason not to try hard. When you realize your MPs are middlemen for multinationals and lobbyists, their insane actions become clear.
  • Options

Because they got tired of protesting on the behalf of people who dont give a fuck? That they have started to think the people who rely on them but never actually do anything to help them deserve every evil thing this government visits upon them?

Just a thought.
  • Options

How do you know they aren't?
  • Options

if you arent aware this is what happens

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4734665.stm

however some people are still at it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4527686.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4514004.stm

even cabbies are annoyed
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4465650.stm

fucking cunts
  • Options
    The story reports: "Ministers say planned protests can be held but the rights of protesters and workers in the area must be balanced.". Erm... how? What workers are these? How many people actually work in the Houses of Parliament, aside from MPs? Are protesters going to stop a secretary for an MP from going into his/her MPs Commons office, for example?
  • Options
    You dont have the right to protest if you have to apply for a permit to do it. That makes it a privelage, nothing more.