Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is lame but how much does uni cost? Roughly
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whoops ignore me. I dont have any a levels :o
    Depends on the person and their situation.
    Sorry for hijacking the thread/going slightly OT, but is it true that if I was to live at home and go to the local uni, would I get a much smaller loan because I won't have to pay rent, food, bills, etc?
    Sofie wrote:
    Sorry for hijacking the thread/going slightly OT, but is it true that if I was to live at home and go to the local uni, would I get a much smaller loan because I won't have to pay rent, food, bills, etc?

'tis true.
    Rachael wrote:
    Whoops ignore me. I dont have any a levels :o
    Doesn't mean you can't go to uni. Foundation courses exist to lead you into your degree of choice.
    Tution fees, and now top up fees possibly.

rent for halls and food

rent, food and bills for the next 2 yrs after you move from halls

student loan

cash for clothes, nights out etc.

It adds up to about ooo over £10k, probably nearer £15k at least.
    Sofie wrote:

of course you'd get a smaller loan! living away from home with your parents would cost far less than moving out. it's means tested so they go on your circumstances/situation.

well the fees are going up next year to £3k something aren't they?

so you need to consider that, then your rent (which will vary depending on where you live/what type of accomodaton you choose), then bills, food, going out etc. it's do-able though. :)
    of course you'd get a smaller loan! living away from home with your parents would cost far less than moving out. it's means tested so they go on your circumstances/situation.

well the fees are going up next year to £3k something aren't they?

so you need to consider that, then your rent (which will vary depending on where you live/what type of accomodaton you choose), then bills, food, going out etc. it's do-able though. :)

This is exactly what I thought. Thanks for the info.
    Depends massively on a lot of things. It depends what university you're at, what part of the country you're in. (for example, rent and living costs are higher in London than they would be in, say, the North West of England) Your tuition fees will be £3000 a year, varies slightly on some courses. (x3 or 4 depending on how long your course is) If you live on £30 a week, multiply that by 156 (number of weeks in three years) for a rough estimate of that one...

In other words, university costs an absolute fortune. Only go if you're absolutely certain you need to go to do what you want to do.
    Hehe I don't have to pay any tuiton fees at all. I get it all paid for me!

Though have to pay back the loan of course! If I do a 3 year course I'll be leaving with just over £7000 debt which is dead on methinks.
    I was just pondering because I just found out I have 50k for my 'future' and am going through lots of options in my head.
    Rachael wrote:
    I was just pondering because I just found out I have 50k for my 'future' and am going through lots of options in my head.
    £50,000? Where'd you get that sort of money? You can afford university education with that, no problem!
    My dad's will. He worked for this big company in London called Spinks and it was half of his pension.
    Rachael wrote:
    My dad's will. He worked for this big company in London called Spinks and it was half of his pension.
    Well, make good use of that money, and make your dad proud. :)
    50k! You could buy a degree with that sort of money!
    Tempteeed.
    turlough wrote:
    50k! You could buy a degree with that sort of money!
    I never thought of that... :chin:
    Rachael wrote:

i'm in nearly £7k of debt and i'm half way through my 2nd year at uni. that includes overdrafts totalling £2100 and my student loan. i pay my fees and half my rent.

you might find you're exempt from paying fees if your dad has passed away but it depends how much your mum earns.

i'll be leaving with around double the debt i'm in now.
    i'm in nearly £7k of debt and i'm half way through my 2nd year at uni. that includes overdrafts totalling £2100 and my student loan. i pay my fees and half my rent.

you might find you're exempt from paying fees if your dad has passed away but it depends how much your mum earns.

i'll be leaving with around double the debt i'm in now.

How old are you?

I'm 19 and dropped out of my a levels. My employment history is really sketchy. At the moment I don't think I'm upto uni but its not something I'd like to rule out.
    Rachael wrote:
    How old are you?

I'm 19 and dropped out of my a levels. My employment history is really sketchy. At the moment I don't think I'm upto uni but its not something I'd like to rule out.

i'm 21 in april. i should be in my 3rd year but i did 3 years at college so i could get into uni.

would you ever consider going back to doing beauty therapy? what is it you want to do career wise? the world is your oyster. :)
    Noo way. I enjoyed it but Beauty Therapy isn't for me. I dont know what I want to do to be honest. Something that involves social work I think. Maybe elderly people but doing paperwork as well.
    Rachael wrote:
    Noo way. I enjoyed it but Beauty Therapy isn't for me. I dont know what I want to do to be honest. Something that involves social work I think. Maybe elderly people but doing paperwork as well.
    There's a facility on the UCAS website called the "Stamford test". Try doing that, it helped me a lot when trying to decide.
    Thanks. I'll look it up now
    Rachael wrote:

you can do degree in social work now. until you go to uni you could maybe try and put some volunteering in. this way you'll get to find if you enjoy it and it'll look good on your CV. but you'll also need to meet the necessary entry requirements and i think you need a C or above (GCSE) in maths/english/science.