Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Common Cold

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
Well, I have a bit of a cold coming on. It's just the start of it at the moment - sore throat, been a bit shivery and the like, nowt serious yet. However, now is seriously the worst time in the world for me to have a cold. I would rather reschedule it for Wednesday :p

Is there any sort of way I can "fight" the cold off before it really hits me? I have lots of work and planning and teaching to do between now and Wednesday and this weekend is the worst time in the whole year to be ill.

Any tips or advice would be wonderful :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can try maxing out the vitamin C - works for some.

otherwise, stock up on paracetamol and decongestants, and drink plenty of fluids. and whenever you have a spare hour or two where you aren't working, try to catch a few winks.

:)
    No magic advice I'm afraid, but plenty of sleep and plenty to drink are what you need. Feed a cold, starve a fever has some truth and chicken soup is meant to be good for colds. You can take decongestants if you must, but simple paracetamol (own brand, not fancy Nurofen rubbish) should suffice.

An early night is a must though.
    Echinacea when taken at the first signs of a cold can make the symptoms milder.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kentish wrote:
    No magic advice I'm afraid, but plenty of sleep and plenty to drink are what you need. Feed a cold, starve a fever has some truth and chicken soup is meant to be good for colds. You can take decongestants if you must, but simple paracetamol (own brand, not fancy Nurofen rubbish) should suffice.

An early night is a must though.

Gah, that's no good. I wanted magic advice :p

I think sleeping when I can and vitamin C will be good. Have had a lemsip which seems to have helped.

Why do colds visit at the most inopportune times :(
    Why do colds visit at the most inopportune times :(
    The law of the sod.
    Kentish wrote:
    The law of the sod.

Indeed. Is there anything I can do so that I can stop catching colds so easily? I always find that when I get a cold, it's quite often and it can last for a long time unless I take loads of stuff for it - like I did ealier this before. I used to just be able to take stuff for my nose and I'd be fine after a few days, but earlier this year, I was taking cough medicine, throat lzenges, stuff for my nose and those paracetamol based hot drinks.
    Sofie wrote:
    Indeed. Is there anything I can do so that I can stop catching colds so easily?

Make sure you eat a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg...suppliment your vitamin intake if necessary...apart from that not really anything else!