Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Academic defends himself against 'racist' claims

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sure whether blacks are naturally better than whites at sport or not. But in the end its dedication and will to win which seperates out the top athletes - not colour.

Years ago I can remember reading this black sports journalist who was saying when he was younger he used to run with a couple of white kids. All three of them were pretty good long distance runners, but all three felt that the journalist was naturally the best.

One day they'd done a long distance run to a town and all three were exhausted. But one of the white men suggested they run back, rather than getting the train as they'd planned. The man who became a journalist said he was too tired and was going to stick to the original plan. But as he watched the other two run back he realised that he was never going to be a top rate athlete because he just didn't have the determination to push himself that final stage.
  • Options
  • Options
    bit of a poor turn out for the protest really... and seriously, how many times was it really necessary to do the whole "ELLIS ELLIS ELLIS OUT OUT OUT!!" chant?!

but i think it was a good idea, at least the uni are actually looking into it properly now instead of just muttering on about freedom of speech.
  • Options
    I went to Leeds Uni. It doesn't surprise me. theya re always protesting or petitioning to prostest about something.

Half of them there don't even give a toss. they do it to get out of seminars and lectures and shit. Have a laugh and all that, thats actually reqsons giving for the Iraq protest as well.

They are also hypocritical.

I remember once, there was a little stall in the uniion about anaimla testing. Not just the medical testing but proepr anaimla testing oon monkeys and dogs etx, they had a fe pictures up an dstuff but nothing that extreme. They were made to move and in fact shut down before the end of the day.

Now compare this to the so called "Islamic Society", who were allowed to have stalls all over the place an regularly, displaying pictures of palestnian "victims" at the hand of the Isralies and having posters of kids saying "This is what a terrorist is to Israeal" anmd such liek that. Conventnly forgetting th euse of teen and child suicide bombers used by palestinians.

So the animal testing people were made to shift in hours because of so called "graphic images" and shit liek that, but the "islamic society" was allowed to do whatever it wanted??

Why??? No big protest there.

Ridculous really.

I mean I don't agree with the guy. I hgihly doubt that white poeople are more intelligent then black people but then again unless you can prove beyond doubt it isn't true, he can say it as you can'ty prove him wrong can you? It should just be calssed as a an opinion, a theory at most.

It is unsavoury but its not inciting violence so doesn't it come under freedom of speech?
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for the racist apologists on here to provide the "evidence" that black people are thick.
  • Options
    You can't.

I mean there are as many dumb balck people as there are white. I haven't noticed any trends in my life regarding people who I have known balck & white if one is more intellligent then the other.

Orientals do seem to be smart though, ones I have known. But I am not gonna say all ariental people are geniuses based on that.
  • Options
    I agree that it is an opinion until either side has evidence. Does anyone have evidence to proove that all races are of equal abilities?
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    I agree that it is an opinion until either side has evidence. Does anyone have evidence to proove that all races are of equal abilities?

You're the one claiming that black people are genetically thick. Provide some evidence or shut it.
  • Options
    No I am claiming that there are genetic racial differences but I am also claiming that we are all individuals and that race has very little to do with intelligence. You need to learn to accecpt other peoples opinions or try a different way to change them. Telling people to shut up wont change their mind!
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    No I am claiming that there are genetic racial differences but I am also claiming that we are all individuals and that race has very little to do with intelligence. You need to learn to accecpt other peoples opinions or try a different way to change them. Telling people to shut up wont change their mind!

I still don't see you providing any evidence.
  • Options
    Im not a scientist
  • Options
    So you believe things based on no evidence?
  • Options
    So you believe things based on no evidence?

Why shouldn't he? Everyone else does.
  • Options
    You seam to believe the opposite based on no evidence
  • Options
    The Bell Curve thesis is pretty dodgy anyway, having read this text last year its origins are somewhat suspect and in the wider context of what Charles Murray (author) has written, it is extremely suspect.

One of the fundamental principals of The Bell Curve is the supposed authority and reliability of IQ testing as a measure of comparative intelligence, or in Murray & Herrnstein's terms 'cognitive ability'. IQ tests are problematic for a number of reasons, for example modern IQ tests (such as those which utilise the 'Stanford-Binet Scale') emphasise speed of problem solving and privilege quick cognition. This is not the manner in which many people work and indeed disadvantages those who may be prone to more speculative forms of thought. In this sense it is also prone to cultural and socio-linguistic bias. For example when asking someone to identify words from a group that are related to each other (i.e.: Sports, in a group of words that contains related and non-related terms) there may be a discrepancy between those who have active interest in this area and are familiar with the word classes will respond quicker than those who are not.

There are also questions of how the book was initially received
    'Virtually all ambitious trade hardcover books are preceded by an edition of 100 to 200 flimsy "galley proofs." These are sent out to people who might generate buzz for the book: blurbists, bookers for television talk shows, editors, and--most important--book critics...The Bell Curve was not circulated in galleys before publication...The people who had galley proofs were handpicked by Murray and his publisher.' (Lemann, accessed 30/11/05, The Bell Curve Flattened).

Also those who's work contributed to it are also of interest;
    'The Bell Curve cites a journal called Mankind Quarterly five times throughout the course of the book...seventeen of the researchers cited from The Bell Curve have contributed to The Mankind Quarterly...Ten of the citations in the book refer to editors or former editors of the journal...Mankind Quarterly was founded by Robert Gayle, a notorious racist. He testified for the defense of five members of the British Racial Preservation Society, and he is quoted as saying during the trial that blacks are "worthless"...In fact, one member of the editorial board took part in the race science under Hitler during Nazi Germany's rise to power.’ (Keenan, accessed 30/11/05, A brief analysis of The Bell Curve).

If this man is still convinced by this then I wonder how much actual reading he has done on the subject...
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    You seam to believe the opposite based on no evidence

You're making an assertion. Its up to you to provide the evidence.
  • Options
    A new development in this story. Leeds University, embarrassed by all the bad publicity this nut is receiving, and alarmed at the implications for themselves as a university, has suspended him. >> Click here for more >>
  • Options
    society makes the assertion that all races are genetically equal
  • Options
    Googler wrote:

They do? Where?
  • Options
    Googler wrote:

Which society? Where? How?

btw I still don't see you posting any evidence
  • Options
    There is often far more biodiversity within 'races' than between them. (Gilroy, 2000, 'Between camps')
  • Options
    i dont see why it matters anyway. we're all the same arent we :p

as in southpark, the kids were the most unracist of all by drawing a picture of 4 white guys hanging a black guy, because all they saw was four guys hanging another guy, they didnt take any notice of the colour of the persons skin. everyone else is too sensitive to it, so obviously need to notice patterns deliberately between white and black people.