Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Has anyone heard about the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://oldmotherchaos.livejournal.com/65547.html?style=mine

Dont know if thats sensationalising it, but if there is some truth behind it, then I think it deserves a mention on this forum. What does Kermit & the law people think of MPs being able to make or 'slipstream' a law through a small commitee of MPs? Comparing it to a power grab like hitler is probably too far, but hes got a point that it appears to be a step in that direction.

Couldnt find anything on the boards about it though. He's linked to some news stories about it. As the people of the democracy it is our duty to make sure that our freedoms and the integrity of our democracy is upheld. So, what do you guys make of it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I posted on it. You're all so fucked.
    most of them dont work because of the "..." in them

Sorry, I copy and pasted from my previous article on here. Should work now.
    It's the end of the pretense of the rule of law.

And we are almost all disarmed.
    You all = teh fuxxored.

And don't say people never TRIED to warn you. I shouted, I ranted, I raved, I foolishly wasted my time on this Earth cranking out leaflets and emails...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you were all too busy watching X-Factor and wallowing in your apathy.

We HAD a chance - albeit a very SMALL one - a couple of years back.

Now it's too late. So you may as well go watch your shitty reality TV shows and play about at silly games, until the totalitarians shove you in a cage.

Suck it, jackasses. The party is officially OVER.
    i posted twice about this
    i posted twice about this

sorry i did a quick search and foud nothing :blush:

it does seem to be the end of the world to cain. I am wondering what the sceptics feel though - because on this board we have our fair share of scaremongerers, and i wouldnt want to be one nor the other.
    Hah, I'm enjoying this decade. Endless war and creeping totalitarianism. Its about time Blair put the arm on hippies like you.
    The problem for me is its too complicated for me to understand it completely. Is there anyone who can dumb it down for me? So it basically means an MP can make any law they see fit whenever they see fit and it will be enforced by the police and the army? Surely if its that bad there will be a revolution?
    Sounds like it's going to let ministers take a "wikipedia" approach to laws and law-making, rather than bother with that whole tedious 'parliamentary democracy' business.
    The problem for me is its too complicated for me to understand it completely. Is there anyone who can dumb it down for me? So it basically means an MP can make any law they see fit whenever they see fit and it will be enforced by the police and the army? Surely if its that bad there will be a revolution?

A minister can make any legislation up at whim or will -

(3)
    In this Part “legislation” means a provision of—

(a)
    any public general Act or local Act, or

(b)
    any Order in Council, order, rules, regulations, scheme, warrant,
    byelaw or other subordinate instrument made under a public general Act or local Act,

There is no limit on it, bar what people will stomach. As our lovely government prefers the boiling frog approach, we'll see it used in an emergency first, then a bit of a crisis, then when theres a bit of a rush, then because it's fucking Monday, alright peasant?
    klintock wrote:
    A minister can make any legislation up at whim or will -

(3)
    In this Part “legislation” means a provision of—

(a)
    any public general Act or local Act, or

(b)
    any Order in Council, order, rules, regulations, scheme, warrant,
    byelaw or other subordinate instrument made under a public general Act or local Act,

There is no limit on it, bar what people will stomach. As our lovely government prefers the boiling frog approach, we'll see it used in an emergency first, then a bit of a crisis, then when theres a bit of a rush, then because it's fucking Monday, alright peasant?

well not quite, it makes parliament a rubber stamping mechanism, as many totalitarian regimes have

it means parliament is given the daft bill of utter crap with vague terms, then once its passed they change it to what they really want

avoids the house of lords nicely, i think theyll use it on the IC cards act which currently is still being blocked by lords for going against election pledge to make them voluntary
    What stops a minister removing parliament entirely with their first action of using this bill?

Ahhhhhh......!

It's a bill with no limits.
    It's a disgraceful bill that allows the executive to grab yet more powers for himself. No wonder Blair's so keen!
    klintock wrote:
    What stops a minister removing parliament entirely with their first action of using this bill?

Ahhhhhh......!

It's a bill with no limits.

apparantly we have to trust it wont be abused, reminds me of the enabling act imo

this is the reasoning for it
    The government will make use of these powers only insofar as they are essential for carrying out vitally necessary measures...The number of cases in which an internal necessity exists for having recourse to such a law is in itself a limited one.

guess which minister said this......... Die Chancellor Hitler to the reichstag
    apparantly we have to trust it wont be abused, reminds me of the enabling act imo
    Trust? I wouldn't trust these scumbags if they told me night followed day! No, this explanation won't wash with anyone.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Trust? I wouldn't trust these scumbags if they told me night followed day! No, this explanation won't wash with anyone.

Unfortunately, I think the explanation will wash with the vast majority.
    If, of course, they get wind of this. Media blackout just like the CC bill.
    Unfortunately, I think the explanation will wash with the vast majority.
    If, of course, they get wind of this. Media blackout just like the CC bill.

ah you're aware of the civil contingencies act as well, passed whilst fox hunting was going through with little or no amendment allowing the government to dissolve ANY act of parliament (including the voting and human rights legislation) if they declare an emergency, which has a VERY vague defintion
    ah you're aware of the civil contingencies act as well, passed whilst fox hunting was going through with little or no amendment allowing the government to dissolve ANY act of parliament (including the voting and human rights legislation) if they declare an emergency, which has a VERY vague defintion

I'm sure TheSite alerted me to it :)

These people are buggers.
    where are the protests?
    where are the protests?
    Good question. :(
    where are the protests?

Organise some.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Organise some.
    why me?
    you lot are moaning and worrying.
    it's you lot who's world is being stolen.
    i'm alright jack ...
    why me?
    you lot are moaning and worrying.
    it's you lot who's world is being stolen.
    i'm alright jack ...

tory twat
    Blagsta wrote:
    tory twat
    Another constructive, well-structured and thought-provoking post from Blagsta - the friend of Klintock. :rolleyes:
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Another constructive, well-structured and thought-provoking post from Blagsta - the friend of Klintock. :rolleyes:

More rhetoric from Stargalaxy. Superb.

Either way, d'you reckon it'll affect us outside London? :chin:
    where are the protests?

illegal outside parliament :banghead:
    stargalaxy wrote:

you're another tory twat