Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where Next?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey All,

Well Ive done new york city recently which ive wanted to do for ages. Now Im thinkin i'd like to do somethin more while im at uni. The first thing that comes to mind is a tour of north america or a visit to an asian country, maybe japan or china.

Just wondered if anyone had a reccomendation?

Steve
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive only been to one city out of europe btw and that is new york.
    It's a cliche, but Route 66? Then again, if you can't drive/legally can't drive in the US then that's possibly not such a great suggestion. :yeees:

Soo...Vancouver, or Chicago. :thumb:

Rather than a tour of North America I'd recommend maybe touring California, if that sounds like something you'd enjoy. I have an American friend who's continuously suggesting that I do that, it seems to have everything from sunny beaches to snowy mountains and everything in-between. I imagine it'd be fairly cheap to travel around one state, taking your time - though don't quote me on that.
    I've done California and it was great, Started in LA and worked the way upto San Francisco.
    next time i go to america im gonna do the california and vegas thing, hopefully in a couple of years time.

last time i went went rented a car and went to quite a few cities around the USA and Canada border.

I flew to philidelphia and then went to meet my mate in cleveland, we then went to Detroit, Windsor, Toronto, Niagra and then headed down to New York, stopped at a few places on the way, Syracuse, Binghampton, Woodstock, then pissed about in New Jersey for a bit before finishing off in NYC, which is where i flew back from and my mate went back to his College in Cleveland.

Was probably the best holiday ive been on, wasnt too expensive either.
    Have any of you ever been on the Green Tortoise before? My uncle has been on it, says its brilliant.. Its a hippy bus I think that takes u through southern or northern side of north america for 16 days.
    i went to new york too recently - it was always my dream to go and i wasn't disappointed. If you want to see more of the US I would recommend San Francisco - its a great city, really easy to get around, loads to do, relaxed atmosphere and everyone's really friendly. I also visited LA while I was out there but really wouldn't recommend it to anyone - i would suggest San Fran then on to Las Vegas via the Grand Canyon. Also been to SIngapore and Hong Kong - HK be better the better off the 2 - very easy to get round and you do actually feel as though you stepped into another culture, loads of great sights and shopping. Has a frantic pace a bit like new york - I think you'd love it.
    sambuca wrote:
    I also visited LA while I was out there but really wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Why not? I thought it was great. Fair enough if you go through rough parts but there's no need to do that.
    I hate LA its horrible - there are some nice bits but you have to drive pretty much everywhere and its just loads of horrible motorways and characterless housing developments - I hate San Francisco also - i've been to both twice and i'm not in a massive hurry to visit them again.

however the rest of california is lovey its possibly my second favorite state after alaska and there is loads to do.

The green turtle bus is fun or so i've heard i've never been on it though but I think they do a west cost trip from CA to Seattle...

Though there is a whole big world out there for you to see.....