Home Anything Goes
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Why are some people...

13»

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm so stupid,but what is the"monocrat sanction?"...could you explain jim?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if they are seen to be against the rules, they go?...not allowed to question the rules?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a huge difference between breaking the rules and questioning them.

    The monocrat thing is just a reference to the fact that we've a lot of experience in removing banned users who endlessly sign-up just to cause offence after being banned.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TBH, I wouldn't have reported basic instinct, but only a mentallist would mouth of at JimV after being warned.

    In fact, I kind of agree with her first comment.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    It really was an unbeliveably harsh ban, but life goes on...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Why are some people...
    ....so immature, so predictable and so bitter?

    Because the Free Market demands it.
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    JsT wrote:
    It really was an unbeliveably harsh ban, but life goes on...

    From the way Jim Veeee posted it sounds like she wasn't just banned for this but it was the final straw.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote:
    Basic Instinct was banned in the past for exactly the same kind of posts and numerous members reported her posts this time. She was allowed back on the boards only under a strict understanding of how she would behave, simply returning to the same old behaviour is unacceptable. She won't be unbanned, she won't be returning and if she does she'll be banned immediately, as her new account just has been.
    For once, I'm full of praise for the moderators for enforcing the rules. I usually criticise them for refusing to do anything about bullies that think they can do whatever they like on the boards. In this case, the right decision was taken. This ban was 100% justified. I notice too that some of the people who criticise do not have an exactly "clean" record when it comes to following the rules. However, I cannot praise the moderators enough for this decision. Well done.

    ***edited***
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    noooo Lisa!!!
    i agreed with her first post! but damn girl, you did push your luck by arguing with the boss!


    i will miss your bitchy posts :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Violette wrote:
    excuse me stargalaxy! i have a glittering record. obviously you mean 1983. do you go on a rampage trying to get banned those who dislike you and aren't afraid to tell you and call you on your shit??
    I didn't name a single person in my previous post, and I'm not going to name anyone now either. I still believe the ban was completely justified - trashing threads in such a way is unacceptable. People are allowed to make criticisms of myself and others, but Basic Instinct was merely shouting abuse. Her conduct was disgraceful, and as I've noticed, it's far from being a first offence either.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd usually be on the fence, but in this instance I definitely saw Lisa's point about not elaborating on the reasoning behind the post (whilst I can also understand Stacey's reasons for not posting in more detail).

    For those of us who don't have LJ or know the personal ins and outs of other posters' lives then it's a bit baffling and redundant.

    Chill, bitches. ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    For once, I'm full of praise for the moderators for enforcing the rules. I usually criticise them for refusing to do anything about bullies that think they can do whatever they like on the boards. In this case, the right decision was taken. This ban was 100% justified and I notice the people who have criticised it do not have an exactly glittering record when it comes to following the rules. Perhaps they're now scared that they'll be next. I cannot praise the moderators enough for this decision. Well done.
    I've only ever had one warning, years ago. As with Violette, my record is fine. I've helped out on the user panel for this site and all. I can't actually understand who you might be referring to, care to enlighten us as to the identities of these people?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doofay wrote:
    I've only ever had one warning, years ago. As with above poster, my record is fine. I've helped out on the user panel for this site and all. I can't actually understand who you might be referring to, care to enlighten us as to the identities of these people?
    This isn't a witch-hunt, Doofay. I'm sorry that I've obviously upset you, we clearly disagree about whether the ban was justified. But I didn't name anyone and I'm not going to name anyone either.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    I'd usually be on the fence, but in this instance I definitely saw Lisa's point about not elaborating on the reasoning behind the post (whilst I can also understand Stacey's reasons for not posting in more detail).

    For those of us who don't have LJ or know the personal ins and outs of other posters' lives then it's a bit baffling and redundant.

    Chill, bitches. ;)

    yep, all of that. :yes:

    it's a bit like making a post saying 'OH MY GOD THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE but i'm not saying why.'

    that and i'm from the school of 'keep your drama and dirty laundry on LJ and in the basket where it belongs'.

    phew.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    it's a bit like making a post saying 'OH MY GOD THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE but i'm not saying why.'. That and i'm from the school of 'keep your drama and dirty laundry on LJ and in the basket where it belongs'. phew.
    I do understand where your criticism of this thread is coming from. Perhaps it is irrelevant to some people. But doesn't that happen with nearly every thread? Is there some rule now where threads must be relevant to every single person who uses TheSite?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This isn't a witch-hunt, Doofay. I'm sorry that I've obviously upset you, we clearly disagree about whether the ban was justified. But I didn't name anyone and I'm not going to name anyone either.
    I have no problem with you voicing your opinion, i just feel that the implications of one of us being a wrong-doer is unnecessary unless justified. When you brand us all with one blanket statement, it can make us seem outcasted from the rest of the boards, which isn't true. I generally feel that the ban wasn't required, although Jim obviously didn't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Except that this thread was inane, in the wrong forum, and irrelevant to everyone except those who are on her friend list in LJ world. Who will already have read it and be talking about it I am sure.

    What was the point of this thread? Nothing, what a waste of time and space.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Is there some rule now where threads must be relevant to every single person who uses TheSite?

    is there some rule that people can't say what they think? personal attacks might be against the rules, but saying 'this thread = pointless' is hardly a personal attack.

    my god, a few people voiced their opinion. and it wasn't the same as your opinion. don't worry, the world will keep turning.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    is there some rule that people can't say what they think? personal attacks might be against the rules, but saying 'this thread = pointless' is hardly a personal attack.
    What started as an innocuous and nonsensical criticism soon became an unjustified venomous attack.

    I do wonder why some people here though, are trying to justify what she said. Why are they justifying bullying, vindictiveness and nasty attacks?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I do wonder why some people here though, are trying to justify what she said. Why are they justifying bullying, vindictiveness and nasty attacks?

    sometimes in life, people tell you what they think of you.

    sometimes they pull you aside and tell you quietly. sometimes they scream it with a generous dollop of obscenities .

    maybe, just maybe, some of us value people talking from the heart. even if it's brutal and littered with four letter words.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do love our Lisa, even though she's a mouthy cow. She's such a poppet. <3
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    sometimes in life, people tell you what they think of you. sometimes they pull you aside and tell you quietly. sometimes they scream it with a generous dollop of obscenities . maybe, just maybe, some of us value people talking from the heart. even if it's brutal and littered with four letter words.
    I value it when my friends talk from the heart. I value it when I have people who I know have my best interests in mind talking from the heart. I definitely don't value it when I get a nasty, unpleasant bully like Basic Instinct who thinks they're above reproach "talking from the heart". Notice a difference?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    sometimes in life, people tell you what they think of you.

    sometimes they pull you aside and tell you quietly. sometimes they scream it with a generous dollop of obscenities .

    maybe, just maybe, some of us value people talking from the heart. even if it's brutal and littered with four letter words.

    Absolutely. :yes:

    I also value people who shoot from the hip from time to time.

    The thread struck me as odd on first reading it, truth be told, because what exactly could I contribute to it except making a few sympathetic clucking noises? If advice is requested based around a problem that has been explained on LiveJournal then surely the advice can be dispensed in that same forum.

    A thread doesn't have to be relevant to everyone, but this is seemingly only relevant to those who would actually probably be far happier and more comfortable discussing it somewhere behind a "Friends Only" sign. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oooer scandals over here. Maybe we just need a little more love for one another in the world :heart:

    I've had so little sleep I'm delirious.yes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gawd, ffs. I won't post anything again ok? I've already said I wish I never posted it. You don't all need to keep going on about how I shouldn't have posted it.

    Sheesh, I wish the fuckin delete thread option was still fuckin available.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Gawd, ffs. I won't post anything again ok? I've already said I wish I never posted it. You don't all need to keep going on about how I shouldn't have posted it.
    Stacey, please don't be like that. Most of the people who have posted in this thread are just defending the indefensible conduct of Basic Instinct.

    You've also got to remember that Briggi and Kaffrin are pious impeccable beings who have never posted anything unnecessary or anything irrelevant to one single person in the world. :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Gawd, ffs. I won't post anything again ok? I've already said I wish I never posted it. You don't all need to keep going on about how I shouldn't have posted it.

    Sheesh, I wish the fuckin delete thread option was still fuckin available.

    I dare you to post something not complaining ;)

    In return, I might post something happy and sunny and full of flowers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well this going round in circles, so it's gonna be closed.

    Though on a final point I'll make it clear again - these discussion boards run under a set of rules, not every comment is acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.