Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US launching huge air attacks in Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Largest air attack since the 2003 invasion. More as I get it. I'm going to say right now though, that using air power against insurgents is fucking stupid.

Comments

• Options
    Obviously killing 25,000+ innocent civilians wasn't good enough.

As ever, the only approach the trigger happy Americans have for any problems is to drop bombs at will.

That's the only thing they mighty US military is ever good at.
  • Options
    The US military says it has launched a major air offensive against insurgents near the central Iraqi city of Samarra.

More than 50 aircraft and 1,500 Iraqi and US troops have been deployed in the operation, according to a military statement.

The air assault is the biggest since the 2003 invasion, the military said.

A bomb attack on the al-Askari shrine in Samarra, 100km (60 miles) north of Baghdad, last month sparked widespread sectarian violence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4814094.stm
  • Options
    So it's crowd control on a large scale? :(
  • Options
    it's sickening.
  • Options
    Its pointless. You can't defeat urban insurgents this way. I seem to recall a place called Vietnam, which was bombed into the ground, yet still won its war against the USA.
  • Options
    They fucked it because they captured Saddam.

Theres no one to tell them to stop fighting, put the weapons down and sort things out from the inside. You've just got a hell of a lot of (rightly) pissed off people all spontaneously deciding to fight back.

You can't beat that with shiny expensive weapons, because rocks are free, rifles cost fuck all and shiny weapons like helicopters cost a fortune.

And this is worse than Vietnam because the US cannot leave. It will go bankrupt if it does. So it's going for the long term addicts death over cold turkey.

Poor bastards. :(
  • Options
    yeah I heard it.

I don't know. I mean their troops are just being slaughtered on the ground by suicide attacks so why not use an advantage you have the enemy doesn't? The insurgents don't have air power, america has tons of it.

Careful planning, strategic targtting. You can get alot done.

Course no guarentee the americans will take this route..

bit hard to do now, the inurgency has taken hold. they were too soft after the initial conflict, let it grow and now its probably too much to stop now.
  • Options
    Might as well pull out and let Iran have the country. But that would be as stupid as waging a war then fighting against guerillas.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    yeah I heard it.

I don't know. I mean their troops are just being slaughtered on the ground by suicide attacks so why not use an advantage you have the enemy doesn't? The insurgents don't have air power, america has tons of it.

Careful planning, strategic targtting. You can get alot done.

Course no guarentee the americans will take this route..

bit hard to do now, the inurgency has taken hold. they were too soft after the initial conflict, let it grow and now its probably too much to stop now.

That would mean they had intelligence. So far, the insurgents are leading in that field. The ambushes and targeted assassinations of the past few months suggest that they have infiltrated the army and police far more than they have been infiltrated. Counter insurgency is about the worst war to fight. Typically you need troops equal to 10% of the population to be successful. Thats 2 million in other words. And US intelligence is a joke, as we all know.

If they could do it well, I'd wish them the best of luck. But on the face of it, that just wont happen.
  • Options
    Aye.

Well it depends who runs the intelligence. If you have idiot, you get crap intelligence, if you have a good guy in charge, you get good intelligence, and if you have a guy in charge out for themsleves , then the only intelligence you get is what they want you to get.

The insurgents have gained ground in all their ambushes and assinations. I mean we are not privvy to covert operations and such so maybe the allies are gaining more success then we know but say they aren't, it certainly appears the troops are just patrolling around, waiting to be picked off.

They certainly need to deal with this infiltration of the police and army issue. I do wonder how bad it is and how much is just media scare mongering.

I say, if your fighting against anyone, insurgent, country or whatever, then use ythe advantages you have, so using air strikes is a good move but only if they are targetted properly of course.

Certainly not easy when the insurgents are hiding out in civilian areas.

They could have the deciancy to make a base in the desert or moutians somewhere.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    I'm going to say right now though, that using air power against insurgents is fucking stupid.

Yep - a bomb that hits on target might result in a few less insurgents, but a bomb that misses is likely to result in a lot more people joining the insurgency - and I don't have much faith in the ability of people in B-52 bombers or whatever they're using to tell an insurgent from an innocent Iraqi going about his business.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    They could have the deciancy to make a base in the desert or moutians somewhere.

Well yeah - but then they could also wear glow-in-the dark flourescent boiler suits, paint targets over their hearts and stand outside the nearest base carrying flashing signs saying "I am a guerrilla", and the result would be pretty similar - they'll take whatever cover they can get!

If Iraq was covered in jungle the way Vietnam was, I don't think the Americans would have invaded in the first place.
  • Options
    Oh very true. The Americans are never gonna go into a jungle again after Vietnam, hence just one of the reasons bugger all is done about Africa.

Lol Well they don't have to get too carried away. But some hidden bases in the moutains and or desert, get it fortified and such. Fight it out like in the olden days. Not this cowardly sucide bombing, hiding in churches and homes shit.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cain wrote:
    I'm going to say right now though, that using air power against insurgents is fucking stupid.

Well, it didn't work in 'Nam, Chechnaya, Afghanistahn both times by the Soviets or Yanks...

So it MUST work now, right? :lol: Idiots.

Ah well. Let's all get ready for some Stinger Missile type fun, eh? WOO!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    . Fight it out like in the olden days. Not this cowardly sucide bombing, hiding in churches and homes shit.
    suicide is all they realy have luke.
    even their money is now owned by the ameircans.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Fight it out like in the olden days. Not this cowardly sucide bombing, hiding in churches and homes shit.

Nah, cowardly is dropping big bombs from 30,000 feet... at least suicide or street combat requires courage!
  • Options
    where are the demonstrations?
  • Options
    where are the demonstrations?

Organise some. Politics should be a particpatory activity. If not you, who? In 1993 when the tory government were introducing the Criminal Justice Act (making squatting, living on the road etc illegal), I thought the same thing. Where are the protests? So I got off my arse and organised some. Got in contact with groups in London (I was living in Brum at the time), organised coaches to the big London demos, organised a protest squat, a flyposting campaign, info stalls in clubs and at parties, organised a protest march and rally in Brum etc. If there are no demos, the do it yourself. Its what politics should be about.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Obviously killing 25,000+ innocent civilians wasn't good enough. As ever, the only approach the trigger happy Americans have for any problems is to drop bombs at will. That's the only thing they mighty US military is ever good at.
    You've got to remember the logic amongst the Bush administration (increasingly accepted as a contradiction in terms) is "might is right". Iraq is going to hell in a hand-basket, the country's heading towards civil war, so what does the USA do? Why, bomb the shit out of it a little more!
  • Options
    Organise some. Politics should be a particpatory activity. If not you, who? In 1993 when the tory government were introducing the Criminal Justice Act (making squatting, living on the road etc illegal), I thought the same thing. Where are the protests? So I got off my arse and organised some. Got in contact with groups in London (I was living in Brum at the time), organised coaches to the big London demos, organised a protest squat, a flyposting campaign, info stalls in clubs and at parties, organised a protest march and rally in Brum etc. If there are no demos, the do it yourself. Its what politics should be about.

And that worked did it?

No, you let the "democratic process" render you totally frigging harmless.

Politics should be about everything but begging wankers for permission.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Politics should be about everything but begging wankers for permission.
    You can't protest in Westminster now cos of some stupid law brought in a few years back to "safeguard Parliament from terrorists". Which roughly translated means "we find these protests embarrassing and they show us off to be a completely useless government, so we're banning them in the hope it will fool people into thinking that all is well under New Labour". It stinks.
  • Options
    I have klintock on ignore, but to respond to the "begging for permission" comment - what the fuck are you on about? This is all some kind of intellectual game to you isn't it? Do you ever read and think about other people's posts? Or are you too caught up in your little bubble of pretending to be oh so intellectually superior? This is people's lives we're talking about. Remember the Beanfield? The British police smashing up and setting fire to people's homes and taking their kids into care because they lived on the road? I know you'd like to pretend that the state doesn't exist but that's 'cos you've obviously never experienced its full force. It has real consequences. The whole point of the CJB campaign was not to "beg for permission" but to raise the issues in people's minds. I knew we would never get the government to change its mind, but if we could embarrass local politicians by squatting (how the fuck is that "begging for permission"?) a property opposite the convention centre, liaise with homelessness groups and get in the media and get the issue on the public agenda then we'd at least have done something (which is fuck of a lot more than you ever did with your life). Of which we succeded very well. People are still squatting, living on the road, throwing free parties, sabbing etc. Its just that the consequences are now a lot higher.

You're a fucking arsehole klintock with no real conception of the reality of people's lives. For all your exhortation for me to "get out there in the real world", its you that doesn't have any conception of the reality of life for the poor, dispossesed and marginalised. Its all a game to you. :mad:
  • Options
    I have klintock on ignore, but to respond to the "begging for permission" comment - what the fuck are you on about?

By protesting you gave them legitimacy you pompous dickhead.
    This is all some kind of intellectual game to you isn't it?

No.
    Do you ever read and think about other people's posts?

Oh good lord no. I never respnd to them either. :rolleyes:
    Or are you too caught up in your little bubble of pretending to be oh so intellectually superior?

Yes mate.
    This is people's lives we're talking about.

You never have read any of my posts have you?
    Remember the Beanfield?

No.
    The British police smashing up and setting fire to people's homes and taking their kids into care because they lived on the road?

Of course, they are policemen. What else do you expect?
    I know you'd like to pretend that the state doesn't exist but that's 'cos you've obviously never experienced its full force

The state does not exist any more than god does. The actions of it's believers have real consequences, but they are insane and evil, what else do you expect from the mad?

If you can't see that the important thing is to remove the belief to make it harmless (like you would if you were wishing to disable any cult such as the early church or modern Islam) your an idiot. If people have the belief they will only make another one if you disable the current system.
    It has real consequences. The whole point of the CJB campaign was not to "beg for permission" but to raise the issues in people's minds.

There is only one issue. Your hacking at the leaves, as the saying goes....
    I knew we would never get the government to change its mind, but if we could embarrass local politicians by squatting (how the fuck is that "begging for permission"?)

Read what you have written a few times slowly and then go for a think.
    a property opposite the convention centre, liaise with homelessness groups and get in the media and get the issue on the public agenda then we'd at least have done something

Ineffectual actions designed to make yourself better in the face of horror. Totally understandable, totally futile.
    (which is fuck of a lot more than you ever did with your life).

I have to smile at that.
    Of which we succeded very well. People are still squatting, living on the road, throwing free parties, sabbing etc. Its just that the consequences are now a lot higher.

I have to smile at that too.
    You're a fucking arsehole klintock with no real conception of the reality of people's lives.

Now I am grinning. If you had carried on you might have even made me laugh.
  • Options
    For all your exhortation for me to "get out there in the real world", its you that doesn't have any conception of the reality of life for the poor, dispossesed and marginalised. Its all a game to you. :mad:

There aren't just the poor, the dispossesed and the marginalised. And those people can't do anything to change their situations (except through individual appilication ofc, which is always available) so all your efforts are aimed in totally the wrong direction.
  • Options
    LOL u 2 r argu agen.

lol.lol.lol.olol. nubs rofl.
  • Options
    There is no 30,000 feet bombing here. If you look at what is been used in this massive air campaign against insuregents you will see it is Helicopters not planes. It is mostly close up machine guns and missile fire. Just if we are been specific about it.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    There is no 30,000 feet bombing here. If you look at what is been used in this massive air campaign against insuregents you will see it is Helicopters not planes. It is mostly close up machine guns and missile fire. Just if we are been specific about it.

TBH. Helicopter -vs- Man. It's not fair... until of course, they get a few stingers.

But let's face it... it was never a fair war, hence the guerilla action. It's the only warfare a bunch of Civilians can ever take on an Army with... Guerilla tactics.

No 30,000 feet bombing? Infact, no bombing at all? Ffs. I gotta stop watching the news. Heli's? Stinger and RPG time. What they need to do, is pull out, and concentrate on Afghanistah.
  • Options
    Haven't done enough damage already in Afghanistan for your taste Gerb?

How about the whole criminal affair from Afghanistan to Iraq be forced by popular revolt into mainstream acknowledgement with the architects in Washington and London put in the public docket where they belong?

Oh and bring the troops home to the only soil they have any legitimate business being on in the first place.

Yeah, too much rationale to ask of our self-absorbed, attention-deficient, politically-complacent, morally-duplicitous, media-gulled publics for a change.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Nah, cowardly is dropping big bombs from 30,000 feet... at least suicide or street combat requires courage!

eh??? No it isn't. Its using what you have. The americans have it and use it, using air power is fair. Its one of the basics of war, attack by air. It would stupid not ot. Its like going out to fight with spears when you have guns in your poession.

Hardly cowardly either as they are risking surface to air missles, rocket launcers and such, and if you get brought down in one of them things, there isn't that much chance of survivng I would think.

Street combat?? What, hiding out in a church knowing they either have to wreck the church and so offend millions of the inhabitants, or let them stay which is laughing in the face of the allies and putt lives at risk. Its not like WW2 when the Allies fought for Berlin, street by street.

Suicide bombings don't require that much courage. Stapping up and dying in a second, half or more then half of those guys went after civilan targets dleiberately. Whats so brave about that?? Deson't require any skil either. Starp up, walk carefuly then pressh a button and boom.

Nothing compared with flying a combat chooper.
  • Options
    The insurgents are using small arms and home-made bombs to fight the world's most powerful army.

I think the insurgents, for the most part, are an evil bunch of bastards, the al-Qaeda affiliated ones anyway, but nobody can deny that they're pretty brave - people fighting for their country tend to be very motivated, after all.