Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drugs should be regulated and controlled and not criminalised

Virtually all drugs would be safer for the user and society if they were sold in a controlled and regulated fashion.

Heroin should be on script

Recreational drugs should be legal to buy (under tight control)

Residential help should be available without wait for those who need it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Virtually all drugs would be safer for the user and society if they were sold in a controlled and regulated fashion.

QUOTE]

I agree with this statement, however I don't think hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD, should be too widely available: not so much to do with the trip itself, but because of flashbacks. How can we eliminate (or at least reduce) the risk of these?
    Along those lines; I don’t mean to butt into Bongbudda's thread, but rather than post a new thread perhaps my question is better here as it’s related.

I’d like to know how people who have been arrested for “personal use” amounts of drugs have been affected. Some former US addicts have told me it’s the best thing that happened because it forced them into treatment. Others went deeper into their addictions as their lives fell further apart.

But what about casual users? What has it done to you or your friends who have been arrested?
    bongbudda wrote:

Residential help should be available without wait for those who need it.
    What is the wait like in the UK? In the US, we have many problems related to health insurance when it comes to drugs, and it's worse if you're addicted to something out of the norm.
    Hallucinagenic drugs i think should be legal, but only if you take them in a certain place with proper trip sitters.

Opioids would be nice to have legal, but their history i think prohibits it. When people think heroin they think death.

Casual users in the US - a lot of people in my town shun drugs. I lose friends, almost lost my girl, my finger, and have almost gotten into trouble with the police a few times.

I think asking for the legalization of psychoactive substances now is too much. As time progresses, I think we'll see alot more substances become legal.
    when opium was legal ...half the british cabinet were addicts and most of the admiralty ...we ruled the world.
    the poorer people would buy laudanum ...opium dissolved in alcohol ...(opium tincture).
    cocaine and opiates were so popular and fashionable that sherlock holmes was a cocaine and morphine addict ...without shame and without all the bullshit you get today.
    remember ...drug use is nothing new.
    massive use in victorian times through to the 1920's and thirties and then came war.
    use of cannabis cocaine and opiates that is.
    bongbudda wrote:

QUOTE]

I agree with this statement, however I don't think hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD, should be too widely available: not so much to do with the trip itself, but because of flashbacks. How can we eliminate (or at least reduce) the risk of these?

That's little more than a myth.
    Hallucinagenic drugs i think should be legal, but only if you take them in a certain place with proper trip sitters.

Nonsense. People should take them with whoever and wherever you like. The idea that padded rooms with professional trip sitters are required is, for want of a better word, pure Hollywood.
    I think asking for the legalization of psychoactive substances now is too much.

Why?
    Spliffie wrote:
    Nonsense. People should take them with whoever and wherever you like. The idea that padded rooms with professional trip sitters are required is, for want of a better word, pure Hollywood.

Why?
    i have to agree with you ...sitting in a rubber room would be a freaky trip!
    playing out in the park with friends at three in the morning is more like it.

over many years i cannot recall a single person who gets flash backs.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Drugs should be free.
    Weekender Offender 
    Spliffie wrote:

Why?
    Not padded rooms, just more protected. think of all the trip toys the place could be filled with.

why? People can't handle the responsibility. Look at alcohol. Binge drinking, drunk driving, it all leads to death. I don't think people could handle the privilige of using such mindbending substances.
    The USA already has a ton of problems with alcohol related deaths. The second someone crashed under the influence of a drug people would look at it like oh god this is going to be another alcohol.
    Now i'm doing this from a USA standpoint because i don't know much about alcohol use over there, i hear its less intense though.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    i don't know much about alcohol use over there, i hear its less intense though.

You got be joking. We may not be as bad as the Ruskies or some of the Scandanavian countries but we're certainly not far off.
    Weekender Offender 
    Not padded rooms, just more protected. think of all the trip toys the place could be filled with.

why? People can't handle the responsibility. Look at alcohol. Binge drinking, drunk driving, it all leads to death. I don't think people could handle the privilige of using such mindbending substances.
    The USA already has a ton of problems with alcohol related deaths. The second someone crashed under the influence of a drug people would look at it like oh god this is going to be another alcohol.
    Now i'm doing this from a USA standpoint because i don't know much about alcohol use over there, i hear its less intense though.
    alcohol over here killer is turning into a seriously big problem with young people.
    usualy by way of much violence and destruction.

as for lsd etc becoming a major problem ...it didn't in the sixties when it was THE drug to take at the weekend by millions across the world.
    the mental institusions didn't fill up.
    there wasn't a rise in traffic mutilation.
    there did seem to be less violence though ...

Alcohol is a totally different drug.

People aren't going to be able to have good trips in strange rooms with strange people. It's something most people can only do privately.

Magic mushrooms were sold all over the UK for quite a while and there was no reports of major problems. People are far more likely to avoid doing anything dangerous on psychedelics drugs anyway, that's for sure.
    The world's away with the fuck...we should be allowed to take what we want when we please whenever we want ....... it's not up to some stupid fuck in a suit and tie to decide whether we can alter our minds or not.

Not that it matters whatsoever if it's illegal or not...still seems legal stuff's that easy to get these days.
    Shogun wrote:
    it's not up to some stupid fuck in a suit and tie to decide whether we can alter our minds or not.

sorry mate but they're doing that every day all day. altering your mind thats is.
    i know...but who gives them the right..

it's a fucked up place

Alcohol is different, and anyway, alcohol use isnt regulated properly.

Of course there would be problems with legal supply, but in case you havent noticed making drugs illegal hasnt exactly been a great solution either.

Legal supply doesnt have to be good, it doesnt even have to be near good, it just has to be better than what we have now, and it certainly cant be worse.
    Spliffie wrote:
    That's little more than a myth.

Ok, let me rephrase that. Some people, not all people, can potentially suffer from flashbacks after taking LSD

Unless of course, these people are taking bollocks:

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugacid.html

'Some people may experience flashbacks days or even weeks after taking acid, where it can feel like they're reliving certain elements of their trip. '

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152316&page=2&pp=25

'I know a husband and father of two who did LSD in the sixties, and had a flashback a few years ago while driving. He is now almost a quadriplegic. (A friend of my family's from when we lived in Kenya.)'

I don't mean to show any hostility to the drug, but.. are you sure it's little more than a myth?
    bongbudda wrote:
    Legal supply doesnt have to be good, it doesnt even have to be near good, it just has to be better than what we have now, and it certainly cant be worse.
    nice simple statement that i would only alter for where i'm coming from is ...

Legal supply doesnt have to be good, it doesnt even have to be near good, it just has to be better than what we have now, won't be worse
    Ok, let me rephrase that. Some people, not all people, can potentially suffer from flashbacks after taking LSD

Unless of course, these people are taking bollocks:

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugacid.html

'Some people may experience flashbacks days or even weeks after taking acid, where it can feel like they're reliving certain elements of their trip. '

'I know a husband and father of two who did LSD in the sixties, and had a flashback a few years ago while driving. He is now almost a quadriplegic. (A friend of my family's from when we lived in Kenya.)'

I don't mean to show any hostility to the drug, but.. are you sure it's little more than a myth?
    Will ...it does apparently happen.
    i'm not disputing that.
    what concerns me is ...millions of people hammered LSD for many years.
    those millions i represent right now in this post.
    i know of many different things happening to people ...spiritualy financialy emotionaly mentaly physicaly and all the rest. all these people have been so varied ...most of them nowadays being never even of taking nicotine.

the straight guy has a flash back to a childhood event .... :chin:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

Um, Will, unless I am very much mistaken, and I may be, the poster you quoted on U75 was taking the piss...

There is some information on Erowid if you fancy a look - here and in 'flashbacks'here.
    Flashbacks do seem to happen to some people, but they are incredibly rare and even when they do happen are often mild and not scary.

They are much like any strong memory, such as a car crash or rape (though without the negative thought paterns) the mind just sometimes pulls the memory forward to have another look at it. It doesnt mean there is any permenant damage of the brain, or any lingering LSD in your system.
    yea from what i read its a very small percentage of people that get flash backs .. and the majority of people either enjoy them or don't get any negative effects from them ..

theres probably loads of people that think they've got flashbacks and havent .. people seem to think that if you take LSD, you're most likely gonna get flashbacks
    z01 wrote:
    people seem to think that if you take LSD, you're most likely gonna get flashbacks

Whats interesting is when you get people to talk about their first MDMA experience they normally get a bit of the high back and experience the feeling. But no one calls that a flashback.
    hmm i can get a mad rush from listening to music ive listened to on mdma .. espically the first few times!

but thats pleasant .. people think lsd flashback and they think scary hallucinations..
    z01 wrote:
    hmm i can get a mad rush from listening to music ive listened to on mdma .. espically the first few times!

but thats pleasant .. people think lsd flashback and they think scary hallucinations..

Its the same basic mechanism though, your mind remembering a strong memory.
    yes but the word flashback is generally associated with negative feelings .. the mdma feeling should be called a flashback .. but most people are too stupid and would end up confused ! :yes:
    Bong how about stating the obvious. This has been the argument for a long time, its a pity they wouldnt implement a procedure like this

But its not been an argument so loudly and elequently put before, and there are interesting developments. Certainly the US is still as strong on the idea as ever, but look at the Swiss and the Canadians, they are moving towards decriminalisation and possible legal supply. It isnt the fully depressive picture of the 1980's.

And of course just look at the UK, the police and government have said openly that they dont care about personal users of cannabis, that is, in a small way a radical move.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Whats interesting is when you get people to talk about their first MDMA experience they normally get a bit of the high back and experience the feeling. But no one calls that a flashback.
    i call it euphoric recall.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Um, Will, unless I am very much mistaken, and I may be, the poster you quoted on U75 was taking the piss...

There is some information on Erowid if you fancy a look - here and in 'flashbacks'here.

Suppose he didn't seem to put it in a very obvious way! That changes my mind a bit about LSD then, though what is he advocating if his post is ironic?