Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Removing a security tag

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any tips on how I can get a security tag off of a top?

I've attached a photo so you can see what kind it is.

Hacksaw? Magnet? Give up?

I cant take it back to the shop cos I cant find the receipt :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    I cant take it back to the shop cos I cant find the receipt :rolleyes:

Would that be because you never got a receipt ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    How did you get out of the shop with it still on :p
  • Options
    :lol: sorry...had to laugh!

i've had that happen to me before and it didn't set the alarms off but i had the receipt.

you'd look a bit dodgy if you asked another shop to do it for you.

could you try going back and explain? they might recognise you?
  • Options
    How did you get out of the shop with it still on :p

sometimes the alarm sensors don't go off.
  • Options
    Ha ha funny guys :p

I bought it in H&M about a month ago for Abbie, left the shop, no beeps or anything. Then I was in Mothercare and their machine things beeped when I was going in! I was totally oblivious to this though and didnt notice. Then I got home and noticed it :grump:

I had the receipt in a "safe place" but someone keeps moving stuff from my safe place :(
  • Options
    You will nees to place a maget under the round bit and it should pull off, as they use a round one in the shops, which fits tight around the bump/round bit but don't try and force it as it might realise ink (not all tags do contain ink).

Edit: The ink stains badly, at work someone broke one and they could not get the ink off there hands even with white sprit, it did come off their hands in the end. So it could be trick to get out of clothes. But our tags a little different.
  • Options
    I had the receipt in a "safe place" but someone keeps moving stuff from my safe place :(
    Yeah sorry about that...
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    don't try and force it as it might realise ink.
    That's what I was afraid of.
  • Options
    :D thief
  • Options
    take it back to h&m. it was their fault, afterall.
  • Options
    Thats a nice lesson to teach your daughter ;)

i bet she used the pram to hide it aswell. :no:
  • Options
    it doesnt look like the ones that contain ink. a strong magnet should do the trick.

did you pay by card? you could take your bank statement in with you to prove you paid for it.
  • Options
    i bet she used the pram to hide it aswell. :no:
    :yes: Im training Abbie well, she tucks stuff under her blanket with such grace.

Lipsy - No I paid cash. It was only £3.99 so it's hardly the end of the world, it's just too cute for her not to be able to wear.
  • Options
    Put it on WITH the security tab. A fashion statement.

Plus it'll be well fun setting off every single alarm in every shop you go into.

:)
  • Options
    Ah £3.99 isn't much for H&M to go off their head about. Just explain to them what's happened and it shouldn't be a bother my sweet!
  • Options
    Yeah looks like a magnetic one to me, you need to put a strong magnet under it and pull up, see if that works.
  • Options
    Get a piece of kitchen foil and place it on the rounded plastic bit, then get a magnet and press against it.
  • Options
    Those ones dont contain ink. Get a pair of side clipper pliers (The ones with the sharp but stubby ends) and clip it. It'll come off easy. If not, get 2 pairs of grips either side of it and prise it apart. They really aren't that easy to remove.

The ink ones are small and square and can be a bit tricky to remove, but it can be done.

I sound like such a shoplifter, haha.
  • Options
    A magnet probably won't work.

Open up the top of the cone with a Dremel cutting wheel or a fine saw blade. The locking mechanism is inside. It consists of a notched pin secured by ball bearings that use spring tension and metal shims to prevent the shaft from moving.

Remove the top metal shim and spring, shake out the ball bearings, and the tag should came apart. If there is ink in it it will be in the half that does not have the cone sticking out, probably in little glass tubes.
  • Options
    We used to use REALLY strong magnets on those.
  • Options
    Do you not know someone personally who could remove the tage for you? (Like someone who works in a shop?)
  • Options
    they're really not that hard to get off, i think i've still got one off one of violette's bags in here somewhere haha. Might sew it into one of my mates' bags or sommat haha.
  • Options
    yeah we use those tags at work, they don't contain ink. They release easily with a strong magnet under the white tag, push the metal pin and it pops and it will release. I find ones thieves have simply twisted and burst off so these tags arent all that hard to even pull/break off. Pliers will be a good bet there.

Tag's being left on happens often at my work, annooys me when they do that seeing that the cashier KNOWS where the tags are put :p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What ya do is... make a hole. Minor damage will do it. Or alternatley, if you feel like DIYing...

A drill does it. Black 'n Decker.
  • Options
    They are now placing tags into items now, especially shoes!!! They don't deactivate unless scanned through the tills. Pretty knifty
  • Options
    i would just go in and explain, im sure there will be no problem
  • Options
    They are now placing tags into items now, especially shoes!!! They don't deactivate unless scanned through the tills. Pretty knifty

That's what we do at work, except not with footwear, because that would be pointless. You'll find tags in pockets and hideen away elsewhere too.

Fact is tags are pointless, since two sunday's ago i know that we have had at least 4 pairs of trainers nicked, It'll be more than that though, never mind the clothes that get nicked. Had one guy just today trying to nick junior trainers for woman :/
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    That's what we do at work, except not with footwear, because that would be pointless. You'll find tags in pockets and hideen away elsewhere too.

Fact is tags are pointless, since two sunday's ago i know that we have had at least 4 pairs of trainers nicked, It'll be more than that though, never mind the clothes that get nicked. Had one guy just today trying to nick junior trainers for woman :/
    I dont know if you got what I meant so i'm double checking, this new system, the tags are made into the items, eg soles of shoes.
  • Options
    I have had this happen to me, in the end my shirt had a hole in it from where i got annoyed and ripped the tag off (This is not advised!!!)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aaannndd let's not forget some tags CAN be deactivated with a strong magnet.

Best thing to try, is swipe one repeatadley, put it in someone elses pocket/bag... see if it sets it off when they leave!

And... the art of Boxing. But let's not go into that anymore.