Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going on the threads of people being scared...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many people have actualy seen a ghost? Did you still think a ghost when you thought about it later?

Comments

• Options
    my mum was a psychic, and though she tries to ignore them now, shes till has dreams about them and stuff. it sounds balony, but she had a dream about my dad coming and saying that this lady (a family member) was going to be joining him soon. a few days later my bro called to let me know shed got cancer. mum was pissed off cos she knew it was going to happen and didnt want it to.

but then again, it might be an overactive imagination

eta: about a week ago i had a dream that i was lying on my bed like i was when i was asleep, and there was someone/something behind me (like hovering over the end of the bed). but i was paralysed and couldnt move. I think it was a dream, its slightly possible it could have been real though.
  • Options

eta: about a week ago i had a dream that i was lying on my bed like i was when i was asleep, and there was someone/something behind me (like hovering over the end of the bed). but i was paralysed and couldnt move. I think it was a dream, its slightly possible it could have been real though.

Could've been a night terror. They're quite common.
  • Options
    Sleep paralysis also, unless they're two different terms for the same thing.

Personally, I'm not convinced about all this ghosts stuff, though saying that I won't have a ouija board anywhere near me.
  • Options
    I had a few "ghostly experiences" as a child, all in my Uncle's holiday home in arse-end-of-nowhere, Ireland.

I remember the scariest was lying in bed under white sheets and looking up at the ceiling to see it moving, almost as it if was a "shadow" of someone wriggling about under the covers...but I was just lying there. The entire ceiling was distorting, like something out of Ghostbusters - I kept expecting a big drop of ectoplasm to fall on my head or something equally nasty. I remember that being on the night of my 7th birthday, too, so I was sure it was some religious sign. Aieee!

We would also always hear voices of people walking past the window, talking and singing folk songs - despite the fact that we were completely isolated and the land around was all boggy. I never found that scary though, it was exciting to sit up and wait for it.

The last one was the freakiest, and happened when we were out walking at the coast. My cousins are convinced it's the product of too many scary stories and sugar but I'd cross my heart that I saw a man throw himself (fall off?) off this jagged cliff-face. I never found out if anything had ever happened there, but it scared the shit out of me. I couldn't be dragged near the edge after that, and usually I'd be the one leaning right over to look down below.

I like ghostly, spooky stuff though - all my relatives have stories and though everyone thinks everyone else's are bullshit we still like to tell them. :p
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

heh cheers

Most common

* Vividness
    * Fear

Common

* Sensing a "presence" (often malevolent)
    * Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest). See for example the painting in the beginning of this article.
    * A sensation of not being able to breathe
    * Impending sense of doom/death

tick to pretty much all :p
  • Options
    well "Little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis" therefore it could well be a symtom of ghosts but coz the scientist don't believe in 'em, they call i 'sleep paralysis'. I, of course, do not believe in ghosts, I did see one though... strange
  • Options
    I always hear noises but see nothing. :nervous:
  • Options
    heh cheers

Most common

* Vividness
    * Fear

Common

* Sensing a "presence" (often malevolent)
    * Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest). See for example the painting in the beginning of this article.
    * A sensation of not being able to breathe
    * Impending sense of doom/death

tick to pretty much all :p

I made a post on it the other week...
    I get it from time to time...

Happened the other night actually, heard a wierd buzzing sound the whole time...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95543
  • Options
    In my old house, my Mum, my Dad and my Brother all saw a ghost. I never did.
  • Options

About a month ago I must have been dreaming...well I think I was. Anyway I turned over in my bed to face the wall and there was a man's head next to mine just lying there grining at me, I could not scream or move and at the time it felt so real, it was really scary.
  • Options
    damn that is scary.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Interesting phenomena. I had it once. Very strange. Came close to freaking out, but fortunately kept control of myself.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    About a month ago I must have been dreaming...well I think I was. Anyway I turned over in my bed to face the wall and there was a man's head next to mine just lying there grining at me, I could not scream or move and at the time it felt so real, it was really scary.
    jesus christ that'd be scary.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I made a post on it the other week...
    I get it from time to time...

Happened the other night actually, heard a wierd buzzing sound the whole time...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95543

i get the buzzing sound when i get it.. i made a post in your thread, couldnt be arsed typing it again ... but yea the whole thing isn't very pleasant at all
  • Options
    I've had that before...i was having a bad dream and i could feel myself sleeping but i couldn't wake up...and it felt like i was slipping away...quite scary
    I've also heard that those sudden jumps you do that wake you up for no reason are because your heart rate is getting too slow and you're slowly dying, but you have this mechanism that jolts you and wakes you up.

Once when i was 9 i sat bolt upright in my bed to face my door, which was open and there was a girl stood there in old fashioned clothes, long dark plaits and a straw hat, she smiled and waved at me then frowned and started to walk towards me but dissapeared. It was so long ago i don't even know if it was real.

There was also the bathroom incident that i mentioned in filthychavs thread. And at my mums friends bungalow, they have a really big living room and the 2 windows are on the same wall facing out to the driveway. And theres a bit of wall between them. Anyway aparrantly about twice a year an old man wearing a flat cap walks past one window but never gets to the next one. One of their friends saw him and went running outside to find him! Apparantly it used to be a field about 50 years ago before they built there.

I know it sounds corny but i saw something misty white and see through dive behind a tree at a graveyard once.
  • Options
    how many people have actualy seen a ghost? Did you still think a ghost when you thought about it later?
    Never seen a ghost myself. I'm something of a sceptic when it comes to this.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Never seen a ghost myself. I'm something of a sceptic when it comes to this.

I agree. I think all the paranormal, ghosts, orbs, oh my god scary stuff is just a bunch of bullshit. People/things/stuff dies and it dies, they dont live on to haunt you or leave their trailing circular bits of light that can only be caught by the flash of a camera or to be heard or seen in the static of when your cable goes out.
    Have me meet a ghost and shake his hand and then maybe...
  • Options
    i grew up in a haunted house,eveyone in the house saw or felt strange things happening through the years. a few times over the years i got slapped in the face whilst i lay in bed, and many other strange things happend.i could sit here all night telling you all about it.
    my belief is that "ghosts" exist in another dimension,and we just can't see it.
  • Options
    I have only had one experience really, when my grandad died i was only young but after his funeral my grandma, uncle, mum and me were stood in the dining area next to the kitchen. My mum and uncle were cooking and i was talking to my grandma when my mum and uncle suddenly started hugging and crying really randomly. We both rushed over and they just said that something came over them, like a really weired force to make them cry and a funny smell.

Weird i suppose...
  • Options
    my mum was a psychic, and though she tries to ignore them now, shes till has dreams about them and stuff. it sounds balony, but she had a dream about my dad coming and saying that this lady (a family member) was going to be joining him soon. a few days later my bro called to let me know shed got cancer. mum was pissed off cos she knew it was going to happen and didnt want it to.

but then again, it might be an overactive imagination

Sounds like it could be sleep paralysis. Happens usually when you're half-asleep, momentary hallucinations and paralysis, then you snap right back to conscious reality.
  • Options
    OH MAN!
    So i was driving down the road right after dropping my girl off at home. I drove for 45 mins back home, in the fog. It started getting foggy, and i was driving down the street, and i see this body walk across the street. It was an outline of a figure, but the lights from my car reflected off it. I moved my foot over to the breaks and when the person got halfway through the street, dissapeered! OH EM GEE!
    I think it might have been sleep deprivation though, me and my girl stayed up until 4 and woke up at 9.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    I agree. I think all the paranormal, ghosts, orbs, oh my god scary stuff is just a bunch of bullshit. People/things/stuff dies and it dies, they dont live on to haunt you or leave their trailing circular bits of light that can only be caught by the flash of a camera or to be heard or seen in the static of when your cable goes out.
    Have me meet a ghost and shake his hand and then maybe...
    Keep in mind though, that "souls of dead people" is only ONE theory of what the things people call "ghosts" are. And you say "people day and that's it" but there's no way you can know for sure, is there?

As for me, I don't know if they fit under the term "ghost stories" but I've had some happenings.

One of them was many years ago. I was sitting in my bed reading a book, when I saw movement on the wall across. I looked and I saw something dark, like a shadow, moving from behind my bookcase to behind the curtains. It went too quick for me to see the shape, but it wasn't just a shadow as I was the only thing that moved in the room and I had no source of light behind me.

Another one was in my room again (I'll give the short version of the story). I woke up one morning and saw the outline of a human figure next to my bed, moving its arms over me. I saw the same thing again a few months later when I was in my grandma's room, only this time it was standing still. That wasn't a night terror, as I had full control of my body in both instances.

One more: A couple of years ago, a few minutes after it had gone from 31st December to 1st January, I was looking at my shoes when I saw and felt something pass over them. Again it went too quick for me to see it clearly, but it looked like it was purple and flat on the floor, like liquid.