Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Whats the best bank account for under 18s?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to set myself up a bank account pretty sharpish, as I'm applying for next years EMA soon (I'm 15, 16 in July).

I've looked at a couple of banks online, but I don't really know what kind of thing I should be looking for.

Natwest have the best interest on their CardPlus account, but my muv says I don't need to be worrying about interest, as I'm not gonna be saving much.

None of them really mention any extras, etc etc.

Does anyone know any good youth current accounts, from personal experience?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I need to set myself up a bank account pretty sharpish, as I'm applying for next years EMA soon (I'm 15, 16 in July).

I've looked at a couple of banks online, but I don't really know what kind of thing I should be looking for.

Natwest have the best interest on their CardPlus account, but my muv says I don't need to be worrying about interest, as I'm not gonna be saving much.

None of them really mention any extras, etc etc.

Does anyone know any good youth current accounts, from personal experience?

At that age I was with yorkshire bank and I didnt really find them helpful but then again I never came accross too many problems. HSBC are pretty good but to be honest im not all that sure if it makes a difference at your age, i cant really advise unless your looking for bank account that will last you the next 5 years at least.
    I use Lloyds.
    i had a barclays youth account and it was quite good :yes:

back in the days when they used to give out cinema vouchers funnily enough :chin: lol
    Plenty of options now!!

Personally I would go with santander. they offer the best interest of 3% or 5% if your parent has a primary account with santander. These interest rates are at time of February 2010. They offer online banking and telephone banking aswell as monthly statements. apply at http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1210607979378&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom/Page/WC_ACOM_TemplateW2.

Alternatively, if you want an easy account to pay in to, I would suggest Lloyds tsb because they have a unique depositpoint system where you put the money to be deposited into a special envelope and place it in the depositpoint. They guarantee your money will be placed onto your account by the next day if you do it by 3.30pm. Lloyds also have a text system where you get weekly updates on your account balance and if transactions have been made abroad. This is all very good however they do not offer online or telephone banking and give 2.5% interest at time of February 2010.For more info visit http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/under_19s_account.asp

In conclusion, want an account that gives high interest and online and telephone banking?

choose santander youth account

Want an account that has an easy and quick pay in system and would rather recieve balance updates by phone that online?

choose Lloyds tsb under 19 account

Hope this helps
    *coughs* four years old *coughs*
    Xx
    I used the Post Office bank before I was 18. Remember the 'blue book' and the 'grey book'? It then became Alliance & Leicester (who I'm with now), and will due to become Santander this year.